Wrestling Revolution

bigfoote

• Paid Members
I'm a former VP of Production at 20th Century Fox and New Line Cinema. My films have grossed over half a billion dollars in worldwide box office with credits including SNAKES ON A PLANE, X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, FREDDY VS. JASON and SHOOT 'EM UP.

I've only seen two out of those, and they were crap. Even if the other two are good, that's only a 50% success rate.

And I will not be investing in a wrestling show ran by fans. Not unless they're proven in business and have some experience in TV show production. Otherwise they're just dreamers wanting to play with a bunch of anonymous people's money.

I'm a former VP of Production at 20th Century Fox and New Line Cinema. My films have grossed over half a billion dollars in worldwide box office with credits including SNAKES ON A PLANE, X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, FREDDY VS. JASON and SHOOT 'EM UP.

I've only seen two out of those, and they were crap. Even if the other two are good, that's only a 50% success rate.

And I will not be investing in a wrestling show ran by fans. Not unless they're proven in business and have some experience in TV show production. Otherwise they're just dreamers wanting to play with a bunch of anonymous people's money.

Half a billion at box office equals crap? Hate to see what you'd think Shit looked like

• Paid Members

Half a billion at box office equals crap? Hate to see what you'd think Shit looked like

I never mentioned figures. Financially, they made have been good but Snakes On A Plane and Freddy vs. Jason just weren't good films for me. I've yet to see the Wolverine film and Shoot 'Em Up' I couldn't tell you what the latter's about or recall the film poster from memory.

It's an interesting concept, definitely, but I'm not sure it's one wrestling fans will warm to. In TV drama it's easy to see the difference between continuing drama (i.e. soaps) and drama series e.g. Sherlock (just mentioning it because it'll be back shortly and I loved the first series!). The series tend to have much more pointed plotlines, in-depth character development and better production values. Comparing this to wrestling, the current format of WWE, TNA etc. would be the equivalent of a soap while this new idea would be that of a drama series. I know which one I prefer to watch in drama but I wouldn't necessarily say the same would be true in wrestling.

I think the other issue I see here relates to how much input the fans will have. Katz is obviously experienced, and has worked in wrestling before, although not sure in what capacity for WcW. Also, find it interesting the "global broadcast partner" is Justin.tv. The concept is different, but different does not always mean better.

{quote=Jeff Katz's bio]I'm a former VP of Production at 20th Century Fox and New Line Cinema. My films have grossed over half a billion dollars in worldwide box office with credits including SNAKES ON A PLANE, X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, FREDDY VS. JASON and SHOOT 'EM UP.

I always thought the end of Freddy Vs Jason was like a wrestling match.

It was like Freddy was the small crafty heel who stalled and used shortcuts and Jason was the unstoppable Goldberg style face.

Not that i'm suggesting Jason Vorhees is a good guy he kills people with a fucking machete after all but just in terms of this fight.

Maybe Mr Katz can bring that psychology to this new show eh?

• Moderators

Yeah, half a billion over everything he's done, gross. We don't know how much the total spent on the films was. Two out of the four films named there trade on the name value of their franchises which accounts for a lot of the box office numbers. All of them are completely artistically bankrupt.

I'd say that defo qualifies as "crap".

And even assuming these 'qualifications' are any indication of the financial viability of the product, why would we give a shit if it's a rubbish wrestling show we wouldn't want to watch?

Also, there's no profit share on this.. we donate and see no return other than, at best, a product that we want to see - another reason your point is irrelevant.

Arguments that "succesful/popular=good quality" are specious at the best of times and in this case it's a particularly shit point to make (badly).

Fan based show? recipe for disaster if you ask me.

2 fans - one likes 24, one likes Peep show. Who gets the choice on the format of the show?

You go with the majority? is that over 50% so you risk alienating 49% of the audience from the start who feel that their ideas are not taken on board so why contribute? (this applies both to watching and financial investment)

Earlier forumster posted :-

"Site says: THIS PROJECT WILL ONLY BE FUNDED IF AT LEAST $100,000 IS PLEDGED BY THURSDAY AUG 4, 4:34PM EDT.

So totally fan-funded, with incentives ranging from free admission all the way to backstage VIP interaction (for $1000+)."

That doesnt say it is totally fan funded, it says it will be funded if $100k is pledged. Does this mean they have a backer for the rest? 100K to set up a company is exceedingly low.

Take TNA as an example its lower card talent get $300 a show. So with a lowest cost base (based on a roster of 16) that would be $4800 a show for talent alone if you want to watch the equivalent of Murphy or Rosita. Higher talent (which you would need in order to get the viewing publics attention) would cost more reducing any available funds

Multiply by 12 weeks for a season length thats $57600 leaving $42400 (or $3533 a show) to cover:

Equipment cost (ring / cameras / sound equipment / lighting / corwd seating and control / promo screen)

Filming (in high quality)

Backroom staff costs (Ring crew / film crew / technicians / sound engineers / announcers / runners / directors / producers)

Venue hire

Publicity (in order to get crowds in)

Post production inc editing / dubbing / mastering / uploading

Even if you did block filming that doesnt equate to a reasonable budget to produce a show of a high enough standard - more likely end up with the embarassing production values you get on MyChannel

Would any of the guys here like Sloan or Knightmare think they could do it for the equivalent of

• Paid Members

The type of fan that would invest in this is the type of fan that would mainly watch the indies like ROH though. I imagine a room full of fans of that ilk would just sit and book the exact type of show they'd usually watch anyway. It's essentially a room full of nerds booking a ROH or PWG or whatever show.

Katz is obviously experienced, and has worked in wrestling before, although not sure in what capacity for WcW.

Part of his work was linked to his radio experience as he co announced with Mark Madden on the Audionet broadcasts of PPV's for WCW

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EI...19/ai_18963689/

With regard to your comment about how much input fans woudl have here's a question

you run a company - 1 out of 100 employees gives an idea that you disagree with. The buck stops with you both as a company figurehead and as the financial controller

do you

a) Take on board the idea and change your companies scope and mission statement based on one employees idea

b) Say no - i dont like it

if the answer is a) then what do you do when the next employee comes along with a completely different idea to the first?

Interesting concept that I have seen floated about before. I would be interested to see what the min investment amount was. However what puts me off is I would be "dontating" money with limited fanboy benefits. I would be interested to put a small amount into this if it was classed as shares or an investment with a financial return if the company ever made good money and the same rights as any share holder in regards to director appointership etc!!!

Archived