Why did they have to ruin it all?!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Here's one. I remember in 2003, I went to college and the John Cena bullhorn gimmick was pretty over in our circle of friends. Infact, everyone in the crowd seemed big into it. One day I switched Smackdown on, and he'd changed his hand signal.

This one:

401478315.img.jpg

You may not remember it, but there was fucking hell on when the wrestling forums posted it. Nobody liked it at the time, because it was a cool little hand gesture and didnt need changing. I got over that pretty quick if I'm honest, but I always wondered why they bothered to change it. Looking at it now, there wasnt even much of a difference to what he changed it to, so I have no idea why anyone (including myself) took it so personally, but it still stung :( Does anyone else remember any character traits, be it taunts, outfits, entrance music, finishing moves or anything else that a promotion suddenly got rid of and you felt pissed off about it? Like when they changed R-Truths shit yet over music to shit unover music, for no reason?

Another one was Razor Ramon not wearing his knuckle duster rings when he turned face, although I wasnt as fussed about that one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Christian first turned on Edge. The next night he came out with that awesome operatic entrance theme. I'm not sure if it was just the one week or a couple, but really soon they changed it for the worse, keeping the same opening bit, but adding on a generic tune afterwards.

1st one

Pissed me right off at the time.

Still, even the second is way better than the toss he comes out to now.

When Swagger won the world title this time last year. Instead of being the victory-lap cocky jock, he turned into a big Chris Jericho and it didn't really work. He's gone right back to the original character now, but his title reign would've been far more fun if he'd kept it the whole time.

Well a continuation of Cena really (and I know what you mean about the bullhorn taunt, I thought that was a good one too, but must admit just doing it then, it felt weird as I actually forgot about that in recent times), anyway having Cena's character change from having attitude to just plain being a goodie two shoes. The eventual death of his raps, I miss them, especially the edgy ones when he first started, I do realise he had the one before Wrestlemania about The Rock but I liked when he did them all of the time as it was part of his gimmick, he also had attitude then and was a brilliant heel. He didn't need to lose the attitude or raps to be a face though, look at Austin and at the moment Orton, both have heelish ways about them but they were/are both anti heros who the crowd love. I think if Cena kept his attitude and raps and wasn't such a goodie goodie he wouldn't be booed so much as he'd be a good anti hero. I understand the edgy raps having to go though and thus taking away some of his attitude as WWE turned PG, another one that annoyed me came from that too, the FU becoming the Attitude Adjustment, basically changing the name from the edgy FU to the PG friendly Attitude Adjustment. It really was a metaphor as his whole attitude has adjusted from his earlier character with the edgy, raw raps and the attitude to his gimmick, now he just seems to have childish insults and in a way has become a parody of a more serious, edgier version we saw of his character in his early years. I actually remember the days I used to look forward to when Cena would show up on Smackdown with his raps and so on and remember rewatching some of them on YouTube, now I'm not overly bothered by Cena when he appears, I'm not one of the guys who hates him but at the same time he isn't a patch on the guy I used to look forward to seeing. The other problem now is that I feel he has messed up the WWE Title, when I first saw it when it came out I thought it was good and went well with his character, I never thought it would actually be the permenant belt for everyone after him too, I guessed it'd be along the lines of Austin's Smoking Skull Belt, ie when he is Champion he carries that belt about, when he's not the Champiion has the other non-Cena-customised Title, but that wasn't how it was, similar to the way he had the spinning US Title and when he lost it the new Champion didn't keep that one but brought back the other non-Cena one.

Cena was still rapping for about two years after turning babyface.

Oh right, I can't remember that, but was it the edgy kind of stuff where he'd always finish with a line that the crowd would gasp at or was it a bit less shocking? I remember he'd say some pretty insulting things about other wrestlers or celebrities and usually it ended with him insinuating something or holding up the microphone before finishing with what would obviously be a swear word or a dirty word (obvious as it fitted in with the sentence and also rhymed with the last line). I'd be pretty sure after he turned face his raps got a lot more watered down from those kind of ones.

• Paid Members
When Christian first turned on Edge. The next night he came out with that awesome operatic entrance theme. I'm not sure if it was just the one week or a couple, but really soon they changed it for the worse, keeping the same opening bit, but adding on a generic tune afterwards.

1st one

You're the exact opposite of myself. I hated his first theme, and thought the second one sounded better. Either way, though, neither of them sounded generic to me - they sounded rather distinctive, and with the operatic bits, sounded like Queen might have written them.

Also, I like his Waterproof Blonde theme, and the male version he returned with (dunno if he's still using it).

1st one

You're the exact opposite of myself. I hated his first theme, and thought the second one sounded better. Either way, though, neither of them sounded generic to me - they sounded rather distinctive, and with the operatic bits, sounded like Queen might have written them.

Also, I like his Waterproof Blonde theme, and the male version he returned with (dunno if he's still using it).

Ha! That's the way it goes sometimes. Back then I'd watch RAW and SD every week with a big group of friends. We all loved that first theme and were pissed when it quickly got altered.

I quite liked the original of his current theme, but I hate this current re-recorded version with the wimpy male vocals.

• Paid Members

1st one

Ha! That's the way it goes sometimes. Back then I'd watch RAW and SD every week with a big group of friends. We all loved that first theme and were pissed when it quickly got altered.

I quite liked the original of his current theme, but I hate this current re-recorded version with the wimpy male vocals.

I always loved the first "bouncy" version, I hated it when they changed it too, much better than the subsequent more generic rock sounding ones. In fact I'd go as far as to say the first version is one of my favourite entrance musics of all time and the later altered (albeit only slightly) ones do nothing for me.

Couldn't agree with Dirty Eddie more on this one.

• Paid Members

1st one

I prefer the second version actually.

I'm going to get in there and say Kane from 2003 onwards. I was always a fan of the masked, indestructible monster. So when I was told he was driving around with cheerleader chicks in a car and wasn't actually burned, I was more than a little miffed.

1st one

I prefer the second version actually.

I'm going to get in there and say Kane from 2003 onwards. I was always a fan of the masked, indestructible monster. So when I was told he was driving around with cheerleader chicks in a car and wasn't actually burned, I was more than a little miffed.

I was gonna say that, about Kane. He was supposed to be in and out of insane asylums, and sitting in the dark with Paul Bearer in his spare time. How was he supposed to have gotten cheerleader's in 1992 anyway? According to the original storyline, he was still talking with a voice box up until '99.

• Paid Members

1st one

put me in the "prefer the second" camp.

they sounded rather distinctive, and with the operatic bits, sounded like Queen might have written them.

:confused: I can only assume you have never listened to a Queen LP in your life.

I was pretty gutted when WWE changed Goldberg's awesome WCW theme music to a pretty similar but kind of shittier knock-off version of the song.

Didn't seem to be any need for that what-so-ever.

Archived