British Bulldog in the WWF, 1995-97

AshC

Splintering off from a discussion in the questions thread, just how good was Davey Boy during this period? And what do people think he could have pulled out in 1998 and beyond if the stars had aligned differently?

I know the consensus on a lot of his stuff is that he was being carried by better, lighter workers (Bret, Owen, Michaels), but not everybody was producing that calibre of match with those same guys in that era.

After an unremarkable 1994 and disappointing tag team run with Luger, the heel Bulldog was a revelation for me, and while the aforementioned singles stuff gets a fair bit of acclaim, there's a stack of tag team and six-man stuff from TV that Davey more than contributed to in those years.

eur-bulldog01st-1.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His heel turn on diesel in the tag match against men on a mission was ace, never saw it coming although there was something iffy about his interview where he asked diesel if he could team up with him, lots of laughing and looking really excited so ya could see something was up there.

His subsequent feud with bret later on for the title (was it diana he brought to the ring at one of the iyh events?) was pretty good too, never imagined he'd beat bret again but it was still a decent feud

I thought Davey Boy was awesome during his heel run. He had a great dynamic teaming with Owen, the 2 of them really set the standard for other teams in the company. he had great matches with Bret, Owen and Shawn during this era too and was a believable main eventer.. I feel he'd have come out of things great if he'd hung around after Montreal, especially given the recnt storyline history with HBK coupled with the real life happenings..

I thought he looked the part when he was wrestling in jeans & what looked like army boots. I think that was the period where he was wanting a title shot, and eventually skelped Stephanie McMahon in the head with a bin. Was that at a UK event? Or do I just remember seeing the footage on the big screen? He wrestled Sean Waltman that night.

I thought he looked the part when he was wrestling in jeans & what looked like army boots. I think that was the period where he was wanting a title shot, and eventually skelped Stephanie McMahon in the head with a bin. Was that at a UK event? Or do I just remember seeing the footage on the big screen? He wrestled Sean Waltman that night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Rebellion#1999

From the 'What Might've Been' file, Bulldog vs Shawn Michaels in the Manchester return match for the European Championship would have been interesting to say the least. Though of course just about every wheel possible fell off that bandwagon before the show took place.

• Paid Members

Smithers was utterly superb. He had some great matches with a wide variety of guys, not just the usual suspects. I was especially fond of his matches with Marty Jannetty, Bam Bam and Sid. It was a shame that his turn came so soon before the Kid's, I'd have loved to see a heel DBS v babyface Kid match or two. In addition Davey and Owen carried all manner of clods to matches I wouldn't have given two hoots about otherwise.

He was great. He was bizarre.

Shame his son is terrible

Oh come on, he's got a hat after all.

oh my god, what is with that retarded fucking cowboy hat? .....thats 'Wrestlecrap' being brewed right there! as for Davey Boy.....

I loved him in the last run in WWF, his hardcore title victory over Crash was a great little bit of booking.

• Paid Members
I thought he looked the part when he was wrestling in jeans & what looked like army boots.

Definitely. When he stopped pissing around with his Union Jack trunks and started dressing like that he looked a proper thug who would twat you just for thinking about looking at his pint. It was the perfect look for him at that time, and it was my favourite period of his career.

Archived