British Bulldog in the WWF, 1995-97

AshC

• Paid Members
The match with HBK at One Night Only was another cracker, although I'm still a little miffed that wrestling law was violated, and Smith lost in the UK.

They had already pencilled in a return date for Mayhem In Manchester, at the time planned to be a PPV, and reasoned that since Manchester was billed as Davey's hometown, they could draw a monster buyrate promoting a rematch between the two, subtly telling the buyer "You don't really want to miss Bulldog getting his belt back... DO YOU?!?"

According to various peeps it was sort of decided upon reasonably last minute, hence Smithers dedicating the match in the papers to his cancer-stricken sister. He did that because he thought/was told he would be going over. Bet he felt an utter turd doing that particular job. I believe Bret said it was Shawn's idea.

Along with being one of the very last heel reactions of it's kind and magnitude.

I wouldn't say that, there have been some pretty molten crowds directing abuse at Cena various guys over the years. I suppose the difference is those crowds didn't throw piss-filled empty coke bottles at the talent, as we in the NEC did to Shawn.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
They had already pencilled in a return date for Mayhem In Manchester, at the time planned to be a PPV, and reasoned that since Manchester was billed as Davey's hometown, they could draw a monster buyrate promoting a rematch between the two, subtly telling the buyer "You don't really want to miss Bulldog getting his belt back... DO YOU?!?"

According to various peeps it was sort of decided upon reasonably last minute, hence Smithers dedicating the match in the papers to his cancer-stricken sister. He did that because he thought/was told he would be going over. Bet he felt an utter turd doing that particular job. I believe Bret said it was Shawn's idea.

I wouldn't say that, there have been some pretty molten crowds directing abuse at Cena various guys over the years. I suppose the difference is those crowds didn't throw piss-filled empty coke bottles at the talent, as we in the NEC did to Shawn.

Yeah, I know they had a return in mind, as goes the wrestling business logic of getting more mileage out of something, but it was still a bit shit, as a fan, a British fan, watching the finish. Of course that's the whole point, and it's obviously stayed with me all these years because it was such a dramatic scene.

I get what you're saying about Cena, but I think it's a little different with HBK, because he was hated that night due to his heelish antics and such, as opposed to Cena getting stick off a house full of Smarks at ONS.

For the record, I didn't piss. Not on that occasion, anyway.

• Paid Members
Yeah. He'd given them his word as well (might be a reason why Bischoff was so against using him when he did resign). WCW even set up an angle for his debut. Ted DiBiase was at ringside on Nitro and said "next week five". So everyone expected a new nWo member. When Davey Boy resigned with WWF during the week WCW had to act fast, so the Giant turned heel. Davey Boy would have looked good in a cut off nWo shirt. Unlike 1998, he could still go with the best of them. And being one of the key members in the original nWo, he would never have been lost in the suffle. As fast and as good as he was in 1996, imagine how class he'd have been wrestling the likes of Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero etc.

I sure can, and something which comes to mind, would be a great feud for Smith whilst in the NWO, going against Benoit, starting with Davey Boy doing some kind of evil heelish assault on Benoit, the reason for his hate towards The Crippler being how much he reminds him of Dynamite, who treat him so bad even though idolised him as his cousin and a wrestler and looked up to him so much, and was going to punish Benoit for wanting to carry on the legacy of Dyno.

Well I thought it sounded good, anyway....

At least we wouldn't of had the Mongo shite.

• Paid Members
I get what you're saying about Cena, but I think it's a little different with HBK, because he was hated that night due to his heelish antics and such, as opposed to Cena getting stick off a house full of Smarks at ONS.

And Chicago, both at WM22 and last night?

Shawn's heat on the 2005 Raw in Montreal was pretty epic too, off the top of my head.

• 5 months later...
His first post heel turn on WWF Superstars in 95 was * amazing*. What an amazing turnaround in the space of a couple of weeks

WWF Superstars 95

Listen to Michael Hayes trying to get himself over during the whole interview. Cornette is awesome on that.

The key to Davey Boy'd career was the fact that he was always gonna won, whether he wanted to, or naaaaat!

Archived