Name change coming for TNA?

PunkStep

• Paid Members

http://www.gerweck.net/2011/04/14/tna-getting-a-name-change/

I couldn't see this posted anywhere, honestly. But Meltzer reports that Spike and TNA are discussing potential new names as they believe the TNA name is 'holding them back' (nothing to do with the wcw 2000-esque booking, then).

Impact Pro Wrestling and Pro Wrestling Impact, which to me scream 'generic indy fed', are two names being thrown about. They are apparently looking to emphasise the pro wrestling term following WWE's recent actions in eliminating the said term from their product.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
And the thread specifies 'no nees', does it not? This is news, and big enough to actually merit a thread I'd say.

Not really. If the promotion was changing its name, then yes, but it isnt. This "news" wasnt even worth mentioning as headline news in the Observer and they are "talking" about rebranding the promotion, not actually changing the name. So the TNA name will stay, but they want to brand the promotion around the word Impact, so the name becomes more well known. They wont be changing the name.

• Paid Members

And the thread specifies 'no nees', does it not? This is news, and big enough to actually merit a thread I'd say.

Well I'm not sure what having Knee's has anything to do with TNA's name change? :laugh:

Seriously though, I was mainly reporting it is on the board, as its not the worst offender (Normally its "I could'nt find this", and its in another topic directly towards the bottom of the main board), but thought it might be worth pointing out some have been discussing for a little while. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Balls. I didn't think this wouldn't have been picked up already, being 2 days old on Gerweck and all.

Cheers bowyo. Checked the first 3 pages, didn't think to check the comments thread though as you'd usually see a thread about this alone.

• Paid Members
This is news

No it isn't. It's speculation.

Wrestling "news" revolves around speculation, "there's going to be releases", "celebrity X/Brock Lesnar is going to wrestle at 'Mania" etc. I know people have discussed it, but certain pieces of "speculation" kind of get hidden away in that thread, whereas this is something that's big enough (speculation or no) to discuss in my opinion. Still, each to their own.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good move. I've always hated the name and term "TNA". Impact Wrestling is a good term and should give the company a better image than the TNA name.

Now all they need is a new booking team and to take Impact and it's PPV's on the road. Then i'll watch their show again.

• Paid Members
Yeah Impact Wrestling is good. A really don't think all modern wrestling companies need 3 letter WCW, WWE, TNA type effort. Plus emphasis on "Wrestling" is probably a good thing for competition to distinguish themselves.

What competition? ROH? WWE has took themselves out of the "wrestling" game remember.

Archived