Dave Gorman

wandshogun09

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danny Wallace is better to read than watch. 'Join Me' is good and 'Yes Man' is fantastic. The only exception being his turn in Assassins Creed as Shaun Hastings. I like his delivery and sarcasam.

As for DG, he can do no wrong my eyes. I have 'Are You Dave Gorman' & 'Important Astrology Project' burnt on DVD somewhere and have 'Googlewhack' and America Unchained'. Just think they are great work. Not seen him in stand up yet but plan to hopefully this year.

Massive fan :)

Seen him live twice (Googlewhack and his Cycling Tour), both were excellent. He's also remarkably approachable for a "celebrity". Though I kind of half know him (my mate was a "Welsh Rarebit" and I was in the pub when he came for a meeting :))

I stumbled across Googlewhack Adventure on TV a few years back, been a fan every since. I've recently read America Unchained and, while the ending falls a little flat, it's a bloody good read.

He was in Bournemouth last year and I missed him because I forgot, I was uber gutted.

Yeah, I quite like him. Genius is very good, especially.

I used to frequent his official forum. It was full of humourless twats so I left. It isn't online any more. Coincidence?

Yes.

bet you fit in well there then

• Paid Members

Loved DG for years, seen him live numerous times. One particular favourite was the time he did his two earliest 'docu-comedy' style shows, Reasons to Be Cheerful (based around the things listed in the lyrics of the Blockheads record) and Better World (almost certainly the inspiration for Genius - he placed ads in London-area papers asking people to write to him with ideas/inventions etc to make the world a better place) on two consecutive nights in Norwich.

Not such a fan of Wallace - what's actually happened to him? He was EVERYWHERE a few years ago - on every panel/talking heads show, and the BBC even gave him a Saturday night prime time show to host (which tanked, I believe, and was unrelated to anything he'd done previously or his style. IIRC, wasn't it similar in format to "Are You Smarter than a 10 Year Old"?)

Loved DG for years, seen him live numerous times. One particular favourite was the time he did his two earliest 'docu-comedy' style shows, Reasons to Be Cheerful (based around the things listed in the lyrics of the Blockheads record) and Better World (almost certainly the inspiration for Genius - he placed ads in London-area papers asking people to write to him with ideas/inventions etc to make the world a better place) on two consecutive nights in Norwich.

Not such a fan of Wallace - what's actually happened to him? He was EVERYWHERE a few years ago - on every panel/talking heads show, and the BBC even gave him a Saturday night prime time show to host (which tanked, I believe, and was unrelated to anything he'd done previously or his style. IIRC, wasn't it similar in format to "Are You Smarter than a 10 Year Old"?)

I think he is trying to get his latest book filmed as a sitcom in the us. Awkward Situations for men iirc

Not such a fan of Wallace - what's actually happened to him?

He does a piece each week in 'Short List', the free magazine that comes out on a Thursday. Anyone who commutes in London will know what I am talking about.

• Paid Members
Not such a fan of Wallace - what's actually happened to him?

He does a piece each week in 'Short List', the free magazine that comes out on a Thursday. Anyone who commutes in London will know what I am talking about.

You can get Shortlist all over, it's forever being handed out at Glasgow Central Station.

But yeah, I've seen his page.

If you go on his website you can find a link for Gorman's next book Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World

which by being described as the gentlest of his books so far - sounds like it won't have the slightly obsessive undertones of Googlewhack and Are You Dave Gorman, which for me broke up the whole going to meet people who turn out a bit quirky and stopped it getting repetitive in the first two.

I've got books by both Dave Gorman & Danny Wallace, although I prefer Dave's. Are You Dave Gorman?, written by both is probably the best and it's totally different to the TV show in that you get to see things from Danny's side as well.

I didn't think all that much of America Unchained tbh and I haven't the Astrology experiment show since it was shown on TV but I didn't think it was that great either.

On a related note, I'm under the impression that Dave's girlfriend from the Astrology series is now married to Danny Wallace. Does anyone know if i'm right or did I just make that up?

Archived