My Best Film?

M-Dudz

In my oppinion, much like Pitt and Depp, Academy Award Winner DiCaprio has shunned the typecast "pretty boy" roles he could've fallen into after being such a teen hit in Titanic and has gone on to dominate challenging roles such as the ones in Romeo + Juliet, Inception, Blood Diamond, Shutter Island, and many more.

Whilst some might roll their eyes at a thread about DiCaprio, I think it'll spark some good debate and for one, I actually look forward to the movies he stars in and think he is only going to get better and better and could one day be considered one of the greats.

Here's a reminder at some of the movies he's starred in:

The Beach, The Aviator, Romeo + Juliet, The Basketball Diaries, Titanic, Body Of Lies, Inception, Blood Diamond,

Shutter Island, Revolutionary Road, Gangs Of New York, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, What's Eating Gilbert Grape

The Beach, Romeo + Juliet, Revolutionary Road, Shutter Island, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can all spring to mind when i think of DiCaprio's "best" but if I were to settle on one, it'd have to be Shutter Island, very convincing throughout. (I was so close to writing The Departed there!).

What do you guys think?

• Paid Members

How about slowing down on these for a few days because some people haven't really had chance to discuss the others?

(Catch Me If You Can, by the way.)

I watched The Aviator the other night, and was really impressed by DiCaprio's performance, perhaps the most since This Boy's Life. I don't think he's the world's best actor, but he has a good screen presence, and flashes of real quality from time to time. The Aviator was the first film of his for ages where I actually forgot it was him, and started seeing his character instead. That's the sign of a good actor.

He's still only 36. He needs to have a massive breakdown, possibly go and do bare-knuckle boxing for a few years to lose his looks, and then come back as a much more interesting prospect.

• Paid Members

God, almost every film he has appeared in is outstanding. Please note, I haven't yet seen Inception.

The Beach

Basketball Diaries

Shutter Island

Gangs of New York

The Departed

Catch Me If You Can

All of the above are fantastic, and Titanic is also very good. But my pick goes to The Aviator. Wow, what a fantastic performance- really one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. He became Howard Hughes.

• Paid Members

An actor who really seems to get better with age. I've already gushed about how great I think his recent partnership with Martin Scorsese is so it should come as no surprise that I consider his best to be The Departed, closely followed by The Aviator. The latter I find incredibly under-rated and over-looked by a lot of people, which is a big shame, although I don't blame anyone for not being enticed by the hideous DVD cover.

I'm a fan of Romeo And Juliet also. It's not perfect but it's a lot of fun and a cool idea and I think that DiCaprio was a really good fit for Romeo. I am a bit of a gay when it comes to plays and shit though. Really enjoyed the Merchant of Venice adaptation too but that's off-topic.

Critters 3.

Nah I joke. For some reason I've never been a DiCaprio fan, its not cause I don't rate him its probably because most of his films don't appeal to me. I really enjoyed The Departed and thought he was very good in that, so I'll pick that cause I don't feel better qualified to fully assess him.

Yeah I'm also finding the distinction between "best film" and "best performance" to be confusing and annoying.

Leo is great. One of the best of his generation and horribly underrated in general. Very tough to pick one here. Catch Me If You Can is great fun and he's fantastic in it. Shutter Island was unfairly overlooked last year and he did a much better job playing a similar character to Inception (anyone who picks that is a fucking moron) and despite the film having a very predictable outcome it's still very well put together. I'm probably going to go for The Departed, as even though it's a flawed film, his performance is outstanding.

• Paid Members
Shutter Island was unfairly overlooked last year and he did a much better job playing a similar character to Inception (anyone who picks that is a fucking moron)

Not at all, Leo is really good in Inception.

But I shall go with The Departed.

Archived