What/who do you miss in wrestling that you will never see again?

IANdrewDiceClay

I just miss JR, full stop. I can't think of many commentators who can make an event sound big-time. Tenay tries, but he just doesn't have it. Monsoon had it in spades, though. Heenan and Heyman, too. Never heard Cornette on commentary, but I'd imagine from his promos he can do it.

The thing he also does well is get the talent over. Nobody is better than JR of actually making the wrestlers appear like megastar hard nuts. We currently have Michael Cole burying everybody, while Josh Mathews sniggers and Jerry Lawler sighs.

One thing I noticed from Wrestlemania though, was without JR, Jerry Lawler sounded a lot fresher. He and Cole are proving once again that you need a face and a heel commentator dynamic. It's not as good as JR and King were back in the 90s, but it's better than the double-act they had going for the last few years. Puppies!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
i miss the fink's ring announcing

i miss jr on commentary (even though he was rusty i still enjoyed him calling the latter part of mania)

i miss dave penzer's ring announcing in tna, borash is shite at doing it

i miss proper jobber matches were the superstar squashes a no mark

This.

Nor sure how long the current announcer has been doing it but I can't stand him. His delivery is rubbish and his tone/style doesn't fit wrestling IMO. The Fink has some grandeur about him. Get him back.

"ANN NEWWWW World Wrestling Federation Champion!..."

• Paid Members
The WWE has no competition what so ever from anywhere or anyone TNA is awful. They can do what they please and if people don't like it they can either stop watching or carry on watching because they really have no place to turn.

This is wrong. Plenty of people enjoy TNA, such as myself. Yes, it's awful, but at the moment, I'm enjoying it more than WWE (although WWE have improved in terms of my tastes a little of late - I rather enjoyed Mania).

More importantly, though, I've been watching wrestling solid since I got back into it in '98, and it hasn't always been WWE, WCW or TNA. When one product's bad or unavailable, there are loads of others out there to choose from. When I was living in Japan, I watched All Japan. When I got sick of watching the US stuff, I was overjoyed to discover the FWA, and subsequently BritWres, for all its faults. I had my smarky phase of liking ROH, PWG and IWS, then realised I hated it when I got into DragonGate in 2004/5. During this time, I was watching WWF/E on and off, and since then, I've watched K-Dojo on a semi-regular basis, I've discovered PWT and downloaded a shitload of classic Memphis and Southern wrestling, I've bought WWE compilation DVDs, I've watch Muga World, Zero-One, TNA and even the odd Chikara and AAA.

There's plenty of footage out there of Our Great Sport. Even if you can't find anything current that you enjoy, I'll bet you a pound to a penny you could dig up a load of old stuff you've never seen before and enjoy the fuck out of it.

• Paid Members
The WWE has no competition what so ever from anywhere or anyone TNA is awful. They can do what they please and if people don't like it they can either stop watching or carry on watching because they really have no place to turn.

This is wrong. Plenty of people enjoy TNA, such as myself. Yes, it's awful, but at the moment, I'm enjoying it more than WWE (although WWE have improved in terms of my tastes a little of late - I rather enjoyed Mania).

More importantly, though, I've been watching wrestling solid since I got back into it in '98, and it hasn't always been WWE, WCW or TNA. When one product's bad or unavailable, there are loads of others out there to choose from. When I was living in Japan, I watched All Japan. When I got sick of watching the US stuff, I was overjoyed to discover the FWA, and subsequently BritWres, for all its faults. I had my smarky phase of liking ROH, PWG and IWS, then realised I hated it when I got into DragonGate in 2004/5. During this time, I was watching WWF/E on and off, and since then, I've watched K-Dojo on a semi-regular basis, I've discovered PWT and downloaded a shitload of classic Memphis and Southern wrestling, I've bought WWE compilation DVDs, I've watch Muga World, Zero-One, TNA and even the odd Chikara and AAA.

There's plenty of footage out there of Our Great Sport. Even if you can't find anything current that you enjoy, I'll bet you a pound to a penny you could dig up a load of old stuff you've never seen before and enjoy the fuck out of it.

I used to enjoy watching TNA but what I said was the WWE has no competition which it doesn't. No one is even close in terms of ticket sales and revenue. WCW was good for the WWE it made it so much better but TNA are not even close to making the same impact against WWE as WCW did. No doubt there are some wrestling federations in Japan but they are not in competition with WWE. The main rival is TNA but they are not fit to lace WWE's boots at the minute.

I used to enjoy watching TNA but what I said was the WWE has no competition which it doesn't. No one is even close in terms of ticket sales and revenue. WCW was good for the WWE it made it so much better but TNA are not even close to making the same impact against WWE as WCW did. No doubt there are some wrestling federations in Japan but they are not in competition with WWE. The main rival is TNA but they are not fit to lace WWE's boots at the minute.

Is UFC not WWE's competition? When it comes to Pay Per View buys and attendance numbers etc, anyway.

I just miss JR, full stop. I can't think of many commentators who can make an event sound big-time. Tenay tries, but he just doesn't have it. Monsoon had it in spades, though. Heenan and Heyman, too. Never heard Cornette on commentary, but I'd imagine from his promos he can do it.

The thing he also does well is get the talent over. Nobody is better than JR of actually making the wrestlers appear like megastar hard nuts. We currently have Michael Cole burying everybody, while Josh Mathews sniggers and Jerry Lawler sighs.

One thing I noticed from Wrestlemania though, was without JR, Jerry Lawler sounded a lot fresher. He and Cole are proving once again that you need a face and a heel commentator dynamic. It's not as good as JR and King were back in the 90s, but it's better than the double-act they had going for the last few years. Puppies!

In rewatching some attitude era stuff, I think Lawler's fucking terrible. Absolutely intolerable during Rock promos, where he chips in gleeful redundancies like "he's shining it up, JR!" and "Pie, JR! Pie! Oh we know what kind of pie that is!" between every line. I much prefer the way he is now, where he can't be arsed.

• Paid Members

In rewatching some attitude era stuff, I think Lawler's fucking terrible. Absolutely intolerable during Rock promos, where he chips in gleeful redundancies like "he's shining it up, JR!" and "Pie, JR! Pie! Oh we know what kind of pie that is!" between every line. I much prefer the way he is now, where he can't be arsed.

One thing i do miss from the king was on every stupidly big move he was do some sort of crazy shouting noise. That might not make any sense, although i think he did it in part at wrestlemanis.

It would always be something like JR: "BAH GAWD King, here it comes! LAST RIDE!!!" , King: "AAHHHHHH!". This was all perfectly timed with the slam as well. The best one i can think of recently is im sure he did it on the choke slam at WM25 during the Taker/Michaels match.

Might just be me, but he used to do that all the time in the "Attitude era".

He was probably getting a blowy from some underage girl under the announce table.

Watching King from the mid-to-late 90s, he was a right arsehole, and I thought that worked really well as he'd outrage JR and fire him up.

One thing i do miss from the king was on every stupidly big move he was do some sort of crazy shouting noise. That might not make any sense, although i think he did it in part at wrestlemanis.

It would always be something like JR: "BAH GAWD King, here it comes! LAST RIDE!!!" , King: "AAHHHHHH!". This was all perfectly timed with the slam as well. The best one i can think of recently is im sure he did it on the choke slam at WM25 during the Taker/Michaels match.Might just be me, but he used to do that all the time in the "Attitude era".

That was quality, it was my favourite part of the match just for King shouting

• Paid Members

The early 90's.

Never again will there be a time period where I look forward so much to every weekly show, and almost piss myself before a Pay Per View event. A time where all my friends and peers were talking about the product. Wrestling was just cool to a 9 year old kid like me in 1993.

He was probably getting a blowy from some underage girl under the announce table.

Watching King from the mid-to-late 90s, he was a right arsehole, and I thought that worked really well as he'd outrage JR and fire him up.

I thought he was perfect during the Attitude era up until the point when he fully turned face during the Taz and RTC feuds. I remember him laughing like a hyena at Jeff Jarrett clotheslining the Fabulous Moolah and Triple H giving JR a kicking. That was great, much better than the parody he became post-brand extension and the 'what these fans don't realise is that booing Cena only makes him more determined' company line-spouting Lawler of the last several years.

• Paid Members

Is UFC not WWE's competition? When it comes to Pay Per View buys and attendance numbers etc, anyway.

No because they are aimed at different fan's WWE is a pg audience that is where they are hoping to pick up the majority of their fans. UFC is aiming for the older fans 18+. It would be like saying Manchester United are in direct competition with the LA lakers or NY Yankees

I miss simple moves like the back body drop, watching WWE matchs from this year and the going back and watching Wrestlemania IV like me and my mate did today is a massive eye opener.

Good old fashioned simple yet effective wrestling.

EDIT

As for Jim Ross I remember when Orton beat Benoit for the Title and while Lawler was doing his best to put Orton's win over as a massive deal (DESTINY) all JR did was cream himself over Benoit while virtually ignoring Orton.

Still pisses me off to this day.

Archived