What/who do you miss in wrestling that you will never see again?

IANdrewDiceClay

Same goes for the Survivor Series 1998 concept. The amount of times we've had guys lose the belt due to injury, and not once have they recreated one of the best ideas of the Attitude Era by having a one night tournament for it. I bet that'd do far more business than their other concept pay per views.

Which times, specifically? I've thought the same thing but the timing of the injuries never seems to give enough build-up for such a thing on pay-per-view. I think Edge and Cena both vacated the titles in 2007 a few days before pay-per-views that already had several matches promoted. The time Batista vacated it and Kurt Angle won it in a battle royal, it was about two weeks before the Royal Rumble. I'd love to see a vacant title and a one-night tournament for it, though.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
A lot of the Rock's best stuff came from throwaway lines that just seemed to slip out in interviews - specifically 'If you smell what the Rock is cooking' in that interview with Gennifer Flowers at WM14 (IIRC). That doesn't seem like the sort of line a scriptwriter would have come up with.

Don Muraco used to say it in interviews in the 1980s, so it was probably a play off the recent name change to "The Rock". It was a pre-arranged backstage interview with a celebrity. Every word in that would have been scripted. They dont let you ad-lib with celebs, especially one parodying a famous interview at the time. Scriptwriters are far more creative than people give them credit for. Its the delivery and poor writing that makes scripted promos bad. Scripted promos can be magic and have been recently. And you only have to watch some of the interviews from old WWF and WCW PPV's to see that unscripted promos can be horrific.

This is the thing: they seem to switch between absolutes, rather than being flexible. They should be using developmental or Superstars or Tough Enough or NXT to ascertain whether somebody's good on the stick or not. If they're naturals, they should be allowed to go unscripted, if they're not, give 'em a script.

My top five mike guys ever were 4/5 mostly unscripted:

1. Roddy Piper

2. Ric Flair

3. Dusty Rhodes

4. The Rock

5. Billy Graham (although, depending on how much I've been watching Youtube on the day, this might alternate with Michael Hayes)

Same goes for the Survivor Series 1998 concept. The amount of times we've had guys lose the belt due to injury, and not once have they recreated one of the best ideas of the Attitude Era by having a one night tournament for it. I bet that'd do far more business than their other concept pay per views.

Which times, specifically? I've thought the same thing but the timing of the injuries never seems to give enough build-up for such a thing on pay-per-view. I think Edge and Cena both vacated the titles in 2007 a few days before pay-per-views that already had several matches promoted. The time Batista vacated it and Kurt Angle won it in a battle royal, it was about two weeks before the Royal Rumble. I'd love to see a vacant title and a one-night tournament for it, though.

As an extension of this, I often wonder why they don't just re-create the angle which led to Rumble '92 - sure, Hogan was going off to film, but he wasn't injured. The angle with the Undertaker showed that they could just pull it out at any time for the specific purpose of doing a one-night tournament with build-up.

As an extension of this, I often wonder why they don't just re-create the angle which led to Rumble '92 - sure, Hogan was going off to film, but he wasn't injured. The angle with the Undertaker showed that they could just pull it out at any time for the specific purpose of doing a one-night tournament with build-up.

There are a million ways they could do it. At some point, Cena or Miz or someone will be going off to make another WWE film. They could do an injury storyline with them. Vacating the title for a one-night tournament is one of the easiest things in the world to write, but WWE just doesn't see any money in it for whatever reason.

• Paid Members

There are a million ways they could do it. At some point, Cena or Miz or someone will be going off to make another WWE film. They could do an injury storyline with them. Vacating the title for a one-night tournament is one of the easiest things in the world to write, but WWE just doesn't see any money in it for whatever reason.

At a guess, I suppose it might be because, unlike back in '98, and even more unlike in '92, there's a shitload more programming nowadays, so they can't leave the belt vacant for too long while they build up for a tournament. It was alright back in '92 because champs generally didn't wrestle on TV, so they could go for the months between Tuesday in Texas and the Royal Rumble without anyone defending it.

Still, I'd like to see them do it - I'm sure they have all sorts of options.

• Paid Members
At a guess, I suppose it might be because, unlike back in '98, and even more unlike in '92, there's a shitload more programming nowadays, so they can't leave the belt vacant for too long while they build up for a tournament. It was alright back in '92 because champs generally didn't wrestle on TV, so they could go for the months between Tuesday in Texas and the Royal Rumble without anyone defending it.

I'd say it was worse in 92 and 98, because the champion needed to be on the house shows. House shows suffered more without the champions headlining the live events. In 2011 the belt means NOTHING. It means zero to anyone. The champion doesnt draw at house shows, the champion doesnt draw on TV and he certainly doesnt draw on PPV. Having the belt vacant and showing a group of wrestling stating the importance of the title might be good for regaining its credibility. And there are two belts now anyway, which makes it matter even less is one is vacant.

• Paid Members

I miss Tony Schiavone, I miss being able to see someone like Marty Jannetty randomly pop up on Nitro as a jobber and I miss hating Chris Jericho for all the right reasons.

I miss 1997/8

In '98 though, the pace was faster than it is now. And that was vacant as long as the '92 spell. Though it had the Austin vs McMahon backdrop, of course. They could definitely keep it vacant from one PPV (with a screwy finish, or an injury attack on the next show) to the next now though.

I miss the look of a normal bloke in wrestling, well when i say normal i mean normal looking bloke as in Tully, Arn or Barry Windham. Blokes who look the part without having excessive muscle. Gordy and Williams are another two. Just men who you know could kill you if pushed.

Whether it was the script writers or the great one who does his promo's - i guess it would be the both of them. Whoever came up with the line "Undertakers 33lb head" was class. When he said he was going to turn his entire 33lb head sideways etc.... a totally random but hilarious line.

I also miss Raw being Raw - it couldnt be more oppisite than Raw, I would love the WWE to do a Raw from the Ballroom every quater, like a modern day SNME and let the wrestlers be more free - uncut, uncooked etc....

• Paid Members

The Great American Bash 2009.

Batista beat Orton for the belt a month earlier at Extreme Rules, then was forced to vacate it three days later due to a torn bicep, giving them a full month to build towards the next pay per view with the belt on the line. It wasn't like they had much else going on; they were spending the majority of their TV time doing that stupid storyline where Donald Trump bought RAW only to sell it back a week later, but in the middle of all this, for no rhyme or reason, they just did a fatal four way on an episode of RAW to make Orton the new champion. Plus, from what I can recall, thanks in part to wasting so much time on Trump and pretty much no time on building The Bash, the buyrate ended up being a disaster, something I doubt would've happened had they gone with the idea of doing a one night tournament.

After all, when pretty much everything else has proven not to draw any more, the one time they promised a new champion on pay per view, at No Mercy 2007 following Cena's injury, that show's surprisingly good number suggested a guaranteed new champ is pretty much the only thing left that, when promoted properly, can still draw on a B show.

i miss the fink's ring announcing

i miss jr on commentary (even though he was rusty i still enjoyed him calling the latter part of mania)

i miss dave penzer's ring announcing in tna, borash is shite at doing it

i miss proper jobber matches were the superstar squashes a no mark

Commentators that just describe what they see, do not yap on about another fight/angle/fued constantly and over the match they are supposed to commentating on. Commentators that had genuine personality and didn't need to say shite like "Let the pidgeons loose" and weren't called Mike Tenay.

I miss Tony Schivone which some may feel negates my first point :(

I watched WrestleMania 17 the other day. And to compare it to WrestleMania 27 10 years later O.M.F.G :cry:

W.T.F happened????? We all knew at the time that "WRESTLING" YEAH I SAID IT VINCE AND WHAT!!!

Was a work but what I couldn't help noticing was that even though it was a big show and a work. There was still a BIG FIGHT feel to the matches and it FELT like a compition. IE Angle n Beniot. Taker n HHH. Rock n Austin. When I heard Jr call the match and the reasons behind the moves and what they do to the human body. And ALL of that is gone.

When I watched Swagger vs Danielson on the old school raw, I downloaded that ONE match that he called because I thought that we as WRESTLING FANS might not hear a match being called properly again. I am not afraid to say that when I heard Jr CALL the match on the old school raw my eyes welled up a bit, Because It brought me back to the days when I would actually LISTEN to the commentators as well as watch the wrestling. Ever since Jr and Matt Striker have been pulled off the booth I don't listen to commentators anymore. Some people might rip on me because I was a fan of Matt Striker but in my defence I liked the way he would drop little wrestling knowledge pebbles like "The last time the world title changed hands in that building. Or he would describe what exactly a hold would do to the joint. People said that he was being a big head know it all. He reminded me of the late great Gordon Solie. I use to think to myself that in this day and age of "sports entertainment" at least SOMEONE carried enough to REMIND people about the "WRESTLING" that "sports entertainment" came from. Guess thats one of the reasons he has been pulled off the booth too.

WrestleMania 27 wasn't bad by any stretch, But the only match that had that BIG FIGHT FEEL was Taker vs Triple H. Alberto Del Rio n Edge didn't have it and what chance did they have going on first :angry:

And The Miz vs John Cena match didn't have it too. Other then the big fight feel and the art of calling a match properly I miss MANAGERS that would get the heat when he cheated to help his heel wrestler to victory. I remember once watching MNM vs London n Kendrick on smackdown back in 05 and I got this warm buzzing feeling in my chest as my brain was trying to figure out what has done this to me. Then it hit me. ...I miss TAG TEAM WRESTLING. With ACTUAL TAG TEAMS. That would do tandom moves together, You know because they are a TAG TEAM!

I Miss chicken shit heel title reigns where the heel would get his arse handed to him in most of the match to BARELY make it out with his championship. Like Kurt Angles first one and the start of the "age of Orton" Or J.B.L's whole reign. For some reason I didn't quite get that feel with the Miz's reign. Still think that The Miz should of spent the elimination chamber ppv in the chamber match shitting himself as the carnage is going on and then as the last guy to come out of his pod and somehow retain his title. That would of gotten him better heat going into mania then beating up a 61 year old Jerry Lawler. But hey.

I miss THE BABYFACE CHASE for the title. I think the last time we seen that was Jeff Hardy. Being in this day and age of "bore me for a second and im gone" Because he chased for MONTHS and when he finally got it, got robbed of it. And he chased again and got it back FUCK ME IT WAS SOME GOOD TELEVISION Which is a testament to his work, When he is in the right place. And state of mind lmao

Remember the days when a match was going on and the heel would throw EVERYTHING he had at the face to keep him down, And when he realised it wasn't going to work he would go "Fuck this! Im gonna lamp him with my title belt. Or foreign object" Or failing that he would reach deep in his arsenal of moves to put away the face THE DREADED LOW BLOW!! One nut shot and it was match over. When did the low blow go from a match ender to a cut off???

I miss AND THIS ONE I REALLY MISS when wrestlers would win their first secondary championship or the tag team championships. Remember the days when your favourite guy would win the IC or U.S title!!! And you would think to yourself "one step away from the big one now" when belts ment something they were LEGIT stepping stones. Now people win them and it means NOTHING to their careers "Drew Mcintyre, R-Truth probably Wade Barrett too although I REALLY hope not." All the tag teams or "random two guys creative throw together because they had nothing for them" winning the WWF tag team titles did fuck all for them too. As with the Divas that have won the womans or divas title but it did nothing to raise their profile. "Alicia Fox, Eve, Maryse" Even holding the top two titles in 2010 Jack Swagger and Sheamus which held it TWICE in that year, One got bumped off of this years maina card and the other played second fiddle to a commentator.

Speaking of belts I miss GENUINE TOURNAMENTS for belts, Or number 1 contender spots. Anyone remember the GOLD RUSH tournament back in 06. compare that to some of the K.O.T.R tournaments we have been subjected to as of these last couple of years.

I miss PROPER heel factions that would take over and dominate the show. They would kick all the face's arses and take all the gold and RULE, Untill a strong band of faces would stand up to them. Or they would fall apart from the inside, not like todays so called factions that get a bit of airtime, Dont take over, And just then proceed to fizzle away. But here's hope for the Corre :unsure:

I miss GENUINE SURPRISES that will "SHOCK THE WRESTLING WORLD DOWN TO ITS VERY CORE!!!"

Sting come back to tna??? FUCK OFF DIXIE!!! Surprises that shock the wrestling world down to its very core is bash of the beach 96. Or when Terry Funk as a judge to a world title match asks Flair for a shot, And when he dosn't get what he wants he tries to piledrive Flair through a table and break his neck. Or Vince buying WCW.

I miss when someone would get REALLY hurt in a match. And you KNEW that when that motherfucker came back in a few months or even in some cases a YEARS time there was gonna be a payoff. Cena getting thrown through a glass spotlight and getting stretched out with a neck brace on, Or getting DDT'd on concrete and SHOWING UP THE VERY NEXT DAY ON RAW WITHOUT A SCRATCH SMILING AND LAUGHING!!! Go FUCK YOURSELF CENA!!!

Now before you start to think that I am "Cena bashing", I am not. Because as much as it PAINS me to type this..... As much bad stuff that he brings to the wrestling world, He also brings good stuff like this

....................Ok. Let me just calm down because I was alright typing this untill I got to the REAL STUPID stuff. I guess what I am trying to say is I just miss WRESTLING in general :-(

Archived