What/who do you miss in wrestling that you will never see again?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

With all the changes in direction, in name, in personnel and in look, is there anything about pro wrestling that you seriously miss and you know it probably never be seen again? It can be anything from blood to tiny entrances with shit fireworks to a certain wrestler who is either to old or in the dog house.

For me, as strange as it sounds, even during WCW's bad old days, I used to love to heavenly sounds of Gary Michael Cappetta's voice. For me he was better than the Fink (not by much granted, because I really miss the Fink as well). But Cappetta's voice for some reason just sounds like its got an aura about it. I loved his ring introductions. TNA should have snapped him up. Another thing I miss is the colourful outfits in wrestling. Royal Rumble 93 might have been shite, but it seemed like a different wrestler darted to the ring with a different coloured outfit on everytime to buzzer went. I cant see why everyone has to wear black. Everyone at Mania seemed to have the black on. Edge, Lawler, Rhodes, Punk, Orton, Miz, Triple H, Undertaker etc. Whats yours?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We're gradually running out of credible, big-name veterans to produce epic dream-like matches such as Rock-Cena that we've been able to have since WWE became the only show in town, and when they're gone, all we've got to look forward to is the legendary R-Truth facing the immortal John Morrison at WrestleMania 38 :(

WWE_Hardcore.jpg

Growing up during the WWF era and having this was brilliant. When looking back on it, it was a brilliant idea in terms or marketing etc. They could change the belt at house shows and have a HC match for the fans. During television tapings they could have random matches which may not made sense in booking terms but it didn't matter. There was nothing better than this title. It made the jobbers and lower cards have a meaning to the shows. If there was a mid carder in need of something like the Big Show they just put him into the match and it was good. It was a great championship until RVD sort of ruined it (UKFFer's gonna flame my arse for that).

Monster tag teams, the likes of LOD, Powers of Pain and Demolition were great back in the day, even the APA and Kronik were alright.

also Gene Okerland (or anybody) interviewing guys after their match in the ring or the runway, they used to do this on the early Nitro's and it usually set up matches the next week or for the Pay Per Views.

• Paid Members
For me, as strange as it sounds, even during WCW's bad old days, I used to love to heavenly sounds of Gary Michael Cappetta's voice. For me he was better than the Fink (not by much granted, because I really miss the Fink as well). But Cappetta's voice for some reason just sounds like its got an aura about it. I loved his ring introductions. TNA should have snapped him up.

Spot on. He was the best ring announcer of all time, for me. I'm amazed he hasn't been snapped up by TNA. Didn't he do some announcing for ROH for a while though? His voice intonation for heels and faces was perfect.

My other choice would be Brian Pillman. I loved all eras of Pillman, from his initial breakthrough as Flyin' Brian to the Hollywood Blondes to the Horsemen to the Loose Cannon and so on. He was never the tidiest in the ring but never monumentally fucked anything up either - CM Punk is quite similar in that regard, for me. And continuing the Punk comparison, although he had fine matches his character and his promos were almost more important than what he could do in the ring. I do still genuinely miss him in wrestling.

• Paid Members

* Smackdown/RAW rivalry - In the early days of the brand split, both shows were treated as equal and a rivalry was presented between the two, with Smackdown trying to steal RAW wrestlers and vice versa. It made things exciting, and I'd love to see a similar format return, though I doubt it ever will.

* JBL as a wrestler - JBL was one of the most entertaining heels of the past decade. I was really hoping he'd make a Wrestlemania appearance, but no such luck. I miss him. :(

* JBL as an announcer - Easily the best colour-commentator in the WWE in the 21st Century. Funny, entertaining and genuinely put people over - he made Smackdown watchable just by being there.

* Paul Heyman as Smackdown GM - Paul Heyman was fantastic as Smackdown GM, not so much as ECW boss but let's forget that for a bit...so yeah, I'd like to see him return to the brand in that role and oust Teddy Long, though it'll never happen.

* Brock Lesnar - He was awesome as the dominating heel champion on the Smackdown side. I love all his feuds, whether it was against Eddie Guerrero, John Cena or Hardcore Holly it always kept me watching. I actually think he WILL return one day, even if it's only for one match. And I can't wait, but I'd love to see him back full time.

* Long title reigns - The title changes hands far too often right now. When I say "long title reigns" I'm not talking Bob Backlund length time periods, more JBL, Triple H and Brock Lesnar. The length of their title reigns established storylines and even other wrestlers. With Triple H, you had Evolution forming. With JBL, you had The Cabinet and the emergence of John Cena when it was all said and done. With Lesnar, you had a brand focussed around him, and brilliant feuds with Big Show, Kurt Angle, and Eddie Guerrero. Title reigns are so fleeting right now there's not much time for that. It pretty much seems that winning the title isn't a guarantee of being established as a top player right now, and it'll take a hell of a lot to change that.

Tag Teams. Where have they all gone? I hate the fact that there isn't any proper tag teams in the WWE anymore, the likes of Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov don't count, I mean proper tag teams with matching attires, a proper gimmick and lots of teams to feud with. The way WWE has delt with the Tag Team titles (both of them) over the last few years is pretty disgusting, and has made me just not care about the belts anymore. That's one of the things I wish Triple H would try and sort out when Vince is dead. I'll still be around as a wrestling fan, and the day he sorts it out will be a great day.

Archived