WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

It's actually getting slightly depressing and ominous that they still won't go all the way with a guy like Del Rio, and the old guard of Triple H, Undertaker and (a returning after years of not wrestling) The Rock are still portrayed and perceived as being far above everyone else.

I think the main event was hurt by an obviously dwindling amount of time... which perhaps led to it feeling more abrupt and rushed than it was supposed to be. It's still an unsatisfying and puzzling ending though. Then again, could lead to a good episode of Raw.

HHH/Undertaker actually literally sent me to sleep. To be fair, I need to watch it again, but it seemed like nothing more than a predictable kick-out fest from the bits I did see. Didn't buy the Triple H tombstone as a potential three count at all, but I wasn't into this match up going in really.

Cody/Rey and Punk/Orton were both very good, the opener was a fine match, but didn't feel right in that position on the card, and it was disappointing not to see Alberto get the belt. They actually could have built some kind of storyline about Edge always losing the title at WrestleMania (and still could have next year if he'd have lost here).

Oh, and nice moves by Snooki! Shame she wasn't around when they had the Minis division.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh was the word, me back went around the end of Taker Triple H so left.

Somethings impressed me other things didnt will write more later on when Ive had a kip

300 in the adelphi though was pretty rocking even if the burgers took forever to arrive!

First time I've watched wrestling in years and first time I've posted here in years, I switched over to MMA around 2005 after watching some RINGS and Pride, never looked back till now.

I enjoyed Edge/Dos Caras Jr. a lot, thought it was a good start to the night but was confused by two things. 1. Title fight opener and 2. Edge destroying Caras' car after beating him, what a dick move for a face.

Rey/Cody Rhodes was ok, but Rey has seriously slowed down from what I remember.

Missed the tag match, didn't know anyone in it.

Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler bored the shit out of me, so badly I almost turned it off, I endured. Hoped Lawler would piledrive Cole but her didn't. Hoped Austin would stunner Lawler but he didn't.

Taker and HHH had awesome entrances and a very entertaining match. Liked it. Can't help thinking how that gogo plata was technically wrong though, like really wrong.

Snooki in WWE, wtf?

Orton-Punk was boring. Punk always bored me though, never a big Orton fan either. Didn't expect much but Punk is definitely better than he used to be but still seems to work an "indy" style only without the really big bumps, cool flips, "stiff" strikes and nasty headdrops.

Cena-Mizz bored me too, nice entrance from Cena though, crappy finish.

Altogether it was pretty bad, definitely didn't feel like wrestlemania. I don't know if it's because I'm not a fan anymore but seems like not many other people were feeling it either. They don't seem to treat the titles as importantly as I remember either.

In case anyone is wondering, the Daniel Bryan-Seamus match was won by the Great Khali. And with that news I'm off to bed.

Yeah, I still can't get my head around this. It was a lumberjack match, then became a battle royal? So... is Khali US Champ?

Hate Me Now should be Miz's new theme tune. That was fucking awesome. Gutted for Del Rio, I can't understand why you wouldn't pull the trigger on him. And yeah, Edge's post-match car trashing was hilariously non-babyface.

The show wasnt terrible but I feel dissapointed. I was annoyed Bryan vs Sheamus was moved to the Pre-Show. Edge and Del Rio had a fine match but Del Rio came awy looking like shite and this being on first shows how meaningless the World title is. Match wise this wasnt to bad as Rey vs Cody, punk vs Orton and HHH vs Taker all delivered. The Lawler vs Cole match went on for far to long but the segment after was great. The filler matches were fine, if a little short, and we should have seen more from morrison & Ziggler. The WWE title match was pretty much what I expected but suprised Miz left with the title and I Dont know where there going with the whole Rock & cena thing and The Rock was a bit dissapointing.

Overall it was an ok show but always felt rushed and poorly structured.

In all honesty I thought the show was utter shit. Possibly the worst Wrestlemania ever, I think. Even worse than 9. Nothing interesting happened whatsoever and there wasn't a single "Wrestlemania moment" to be found throughout the entire show. About the only interesting thing that happened was Cody Rhodes getting a win, but given the underhand tactics involved in the finish you just know there's a rematch around the corner which Rey will undoubtedly win to send Cody back down the ladder again.

Edge/Del Rio was a bizarre choice of opener, and the ending with Edge and Christian both holding weapons would have been perfect for one or the other to turn heel. But no - a lame attempt at trashing a car (although admittedly I pissed myself at the elbow drop on the roof) and then they buggered off. Nice one on building up Del Rio only to have him lose, too. The 8-man tag did nothing but destroy the Core who they've been attempting to push for the last few months, and Punk/Orton was a completely average match that wouldn't have looked out of place on Raw.

Cole/Lawler was this years Bret/Vince - lots of nothing happening for far too long. Lawler getting straight back behind the commentary desk was bullshit as well. The mixed tag was too short to be anything even close to noteworthy, although that bird from off Jersey Shore's handspring bum bump was unexpectedly decent. I'm not getting the love for HHH/Undertaker - they just plodded along for what seemed like an eternity before hitting a load of finishers and ending with an extremely anti-climactic tap out.

As for Miz/Cena - as has already been said by others on here, those two just don't click and it resulted in a dull match. And why on earth would you end the match with someone who's barely even in the company any more getting the better of your main champion? I know they always want Wrestlemania to have a happy ending, but for hasn't Miz been fucked enough by their rubbish booking over the last few months?

Nothing on the event did anybody any favours whatsoever. Nobody really shone in their matches and no new stars have been made. All in all it just seems pretty much pointless.

Hello. I come on this forum everyday but very rarely post but, having just got back from Mania, I thought I would give my two cents:

The set, as per usual, was very impressive. Little disappointing that Bryan/Sheamus was relegated to the pre-show; the match itself was flowing well when they threw the ultimate slap in the face to the two of them and turned it into your traditional pre-mania battle royal. Yawn.

I'm not going to go 'full on' into the matches, I'd like to see it again on TV before I make any judgments. But, as a live show, it was okayish, but not great. As has been mentioned the crowd weren't great, but in their (our) defence, these domes are stupidly big and they seep any kind out atmosphere right out of them.

Taker/HHH seemed awfully slow live, though I enjoyed the intensiveness of the last few minutes - not digging Takers music though.

The whole cluster of the main event was strange. Didn't like the 'Raw' kind of feel to a Wrestlemania main event, plus, how long did it go - 10 minutes? I did like Cena getting the rock bottom but it all seemed a little rushed.

MOTN from being there live was a toss up between Del Rio/Edge and Orton/Punk - though, both wouldn't have looked out of place on Raw/S'down.

Enjoyable show, but nothing that blew me away. For me, they NEED to move back indoors and create the atmposphere they had in Chicago a few years back at 23. As somebody mentioned, if this had been in MSG people would have raved about it - a dead crowd has the power to kill any match, even if it isn't their fault!

HHH-Taker was a total classic-by-numbers. Just throw a bunch of finishers in over and over and hope it equates to drama. It's the story of Hunter's career to emulate the best in the business but never quite understand what makes those guys transcendent. That match was desperately grasping for the heights of the HBK-Taker battles of the last two years, but failed quite miserably, depressingly.

Very dull Mania overall. I was bored two minutes into the Rock's opening promo. I think Edge-Del Rio was probably the best match but maybe that was due to the sheer length of time I had to wait for any actual wrestling to take place. This was a show where the bullshit was emphatically front-and-center and the action an afterthought.

• Paid Members

What an absolute load of savage arse-wank.

First things first, the Sheamus and Bryan match was bumped from the televised card and turned into a non-title battle royal. They couldn't find any space in a 4-hour pay-per-view to squeeze the original match into? I can think of at least twenty minutes of shit that could've been cut to make room for a US title match.

Now I know WrestleMania intros are known for being long, but sweet Jesus it took ages. I'm as big a fan of The Rock as anyone and I understand that he was the "host", but after taking forever to finally (no Rockism intended) get on the mic, he took forever to get off it. Eventually we get to the first match. A mid-card level affair, surely?

Edge vs Alberto Del Rio - All the months of "The winner of the Royal Rumble gets to headline WrestleMania" may as well have read as "glorified curtain jerking". Personally it made it pretty predictable from being first on the card that the title wasn't changing hands. I'm well aware that the main events need to be broken up a tad, but it definitely didn't deserve to be shoved down to the opening slot. As good a match as it was, my excitement for it died before the first bell rang.

Cody Rhodes vs Rey Mysterio - I thought this was one of the best things about the entire event. A decent match, an interesting appendage with Rey using Cody's mask and, best of all, Cody Rhodes. He's played the dashing-to-grotesque switch brilliantly. Little did I know he'd be my favourite thing about WrestleMania.

Big Show, Kane, Santino and Kofi Kingston vs The Corre aka Santino and Big Show vs Heath Slater - If anyone shot off for snacks or a quick shit, they would've missed it. Mae fucking Young had more TV time. No Intercontinental or Tag Team title match, not even a stipulation where they could change hands. You'd expect more than two title matches on the "Grandaddy of them all". Hell, the Diva's champion didn't even wrestle. Where was she?...

Eve, The Rock, Mae Young and Stone Cold - As much as I'd love to say this could've been scrapped in favour of wrestling, I have to admit these segments are needed in order for the wrestlers of the last match to make it back up the endless ramp of doom. It would've been alright if Mae didn't ask for "The People's Squirrel".

Randy Orton vs CM Punk - A good match and hopefully a signal of the end to their feud. Excellent playing on the leg injury and a nice finish. You'd think things would be looking up...

Jerry "The King" Lawler vs Michael Cole - The wrestling went as well as what can be expected from a 60-year old and a novice, but what should've been (and appeared to be) the logical result to tie everything up, was for some sense-dodging reason reversed by the anonymous RAW GM in favour of a DQ win for Michael Cole, all because Austin returned a shove. The "referee's decision is final" ruling and Swagger's number of attacks on Lawler were overlooked somewhere along the line, hopefully due to the GM being a heel and not the WWE's shit logic. If it was just to get messenger boy Josh Mathews twatted to make way for JR to voice the main events, then that would be just as shocking as JR was. Either way, it was the wrong outcome.

HHH vs Super Undertaker - Aside from the expected "kick out of everything" fest feeling more like something out of ROH, I enjoyed it. Loved the expressions on the both of them, and liked the idea of The Undertaker needing to be carried away despite winning. I thought Shawn may have played a part, but I'm glad he didn't.

Trish, Snooki and John Morrison vs Laycool and Dolph Ziggler - As already mentioned, the crowd were a tad dead, but for a non-wrestler of all people to wake them up says something. Granted, they woke up to boo her when she was tagged in, but boy did those fickle coma patients change their tune once they realised she was capable of half decent shit, albeit ten seconds worth. As for Morrison and Ziggler, they may as well have just been there for support or not been there at all.

John Cena vs The Miz - What a brilliant intro for The Miz, and what a facepalming clusterfuck of a match. As refreshing as it was to have the last match end with a heel winning, they went the dumbest way about it. The company's most popular, money-spinning, currently active face, who is even adorning a brand new shirt to pimp to the money-splashing fanbase, gets screwed out of the title by The Rock, who makes Cena look foolish, makes The Miz's critic-silencing intro redundant and then goes after the man himself to be over with the people. So the cash-cow has been tipped over and the champion looks anything but. But hey, it's alright, because it's The Rock's night...

And it's not like he'll fuck off again in a month...

• Paid Members

I have to disagree with most people in this thread as I thought it was a pretty good Mania and definitely superior to the last two. I mean they were pretty much one match shows with both HBK vs. Taker matches. Bit of a quick run-down:

* Gutted to find out that the US title match didn't make the show but, to be fair, one match was going to have an incredibly short run-time so I'd rather it be the 8 man tag than this. They can always have the match on Raw or even at Extreme Rules and be given much longer. In theory.

* After typing the above just read that Khali won it. Wow...ok can't really defend that but hopefully it's a very brief stint.

* Edge vs Del Rio was pretty good and I'm glad Alberto didn't get the win quite yet as I think the two of them could have an even better rematch at Extreme Rules. Maybe throw Christian in there and make it a triple threat. Agree about the weird destroying the car bit, but it does kinda make sense as Edge almost did it on Smackdown the other week. If they'd played that aspect up a bit more it would've worked out.

* So incredibly happy that Cody won in a match I really enjoyed. Possibly the 2nd best match of the night for me. Hopefully this can propel Cody into the main event scene a bit. Thinking of the future, he could realistically to get in the World Championship fatal four way. Either way, by the end of the year I'd be ecstatic if Rhodes won his first World title.

* Happy that the 8 man was kept short. Really not into The Corre much and neither are WWE it seems. I think the whole heel stable thing has run its course for the time being. At least with NXT alumni. Both Wade and Zeke could do great on their own and I guess Gabriel could have an outside chance at getting over too. No hope for Heath though.

* Orton vs. Punk was fine but really that's all it was. Seemed like a prelude to better things. Actually now I'm thinking about it, I can understand some of your disappointment in the fact that this Mania did seem more like a preview of future match-ups rather than the climactic feud-ender that Mania has usually been. I still maintain that it was a really enjoyable show though, just maybe lacking in the whole aura overall.

* It's a shame the crowd didn't sound as into it, most likely because of the stadium, but Cole vs. King was still great fun. Maybe there was a little too much of Cole working over Lawler's ankle but apart from that some really fun spots (Jack Swagger's towel throw and subsequent stunner, Cole's head being rammed into the Colemine, etc.) and a really interesting ending. Continued the trend of faces not acting like faces here though with the whole stunner marathon at the end but I can't deny it was entertaining to watch.

* Most of the backstage segments did suck and went on too long. However RYDER~! PIPER~!

* Taker vs. Trips was the clear MOTN and I really liked how they distanced themselves from the HBK match by focusing more on the spots and really exploiting the No Holds Barred stipulation. I think if they'd have tried to follow the same style then the fans would've shit all over it but thankfully they were really into it for the most part. Loved HHH's entrance using one of the only Metallica songs I liked. Taker's entrance was cool too and this match was where that whole Mania aura really did surface. I, like a few in this thread, totally bought that Tombstone finish. The Triple H mark inside me wanted that to be the finish so badly. I thought Taker looked near death at the end. Brilliant selling of the whole match and, with next year probably being his last, my hope is for Taker vs. HBK III. If they can get that AND Rock vs. Cena for WM28 then it could be the best Mania since WMX7.

* I thought the 6 man/diva match was fine. Quite surprised Snooki managed that handspring elbow and thought the crowd reacted to her surprisingly well when she did it. I haven't really minded her involvement as, aside from the drunken abortion that was her bar segment on Raw last week, she's come across as someone who's into it and even enjoying her WWE time. Makes a nice change to some of their other celebrity guests/hosts.

* Miz' entrance was so awesome and completely eclipsed Cena's. I thought the whole gospel thing might get a bit of a cheer with it being in Atlanta but thankfully they saw that John Cena wasn't black and therefor desperately pandering for their approval. Liked the red shirt though. The match itself was good until that weird ending but I can't deny I marked like crazy at Miz winning and The Rock taking both him and Cena out. Miz will probably do something to get some heat back tonight and hopefully there'll be another Cena confrontation to build to next year.

Very optimistic outlook for this show but I've loved WWE's output so far this year and am generally enjoying every Raw, Smackdown and PPV I watch. Will be looking forward to Extreme Rules now in May. Can anyone make any early predictions? There'll probably be a Cena/Miz rematch of some sort and I imagine we'll get the Edge vs. Del Rio vs. Christian match where they'll hopefully pull the trigger on Alberto, who's been shockingly great since his debut.

gutted reading these comments. I just got back from georgia dome and the crowd was rabid, clearly that hasnt come across on tv. Random thoughts : The lawler match got lots of boring chants. People were not sure when the show was over, with rock celebrating, people were waiting for a cena comeback that didnt happen. Snooki match was a pissbreak exodus. Everything rock did got a huge reaction. The title match being first, and sheamus v bryan getting bumped, was a big talking point for our section. Some guys were marking out huge for cole's win because they'd apparently bet on him with bodog

Well, I think anyone who says it was rubbish is mental, but I was there live, so obviously it's going to be better live, but for me it was fantastic.

The crowd weren't dead at all, only really in the 6 person match.

HHH/Taker was tremendous.

Archived