WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

Pretty awful I'd say. The intro with the rock was boring as hell. The crowd were dead for most of the show. The main event - nobody cared as everybody knew the rock would get involved.

I couldn't agree more that the show was a thrown together mess. It looked so good on paper but turned out to be very lame. Oh and how many times can they mention the word entertainment? WWE need to get their act together.

End of rant lol

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Triple H and Undertaker ended up being really good. I totally bought the Triple H tombstone. I thought he had him, as mental as that sounds. And I just read the Undertaker was doing a sell job at the end of the match. I thought he was legit fucked. Not much else on it that I liked. I thought the main event was dreadful and final angle with the Rock was strange. Its like one of those TNA angles where you dont know who's heel or if Rock did the right thing. It was like an episode of Raw more than a WrestleMania. Dunno what it'll be like rewatching it, because I was pre-occupied by thinking someone special was around the corner, but it wasnt. Mind you the moment of the night was Cole saying "Jerry" with each face thud into the glass box.

Did Booker T really say "this isnt boxing, this is acting?" during the Lawler match?

• Awards Moderator
Jim Ross in the Undertaker-HHH match was dire?

Yep. You could see he was trying, but it wasn't the old JR. Not helped by Lawler being done in, but it just seemed a bit awkward. Might be different after another watch, but the impression I got was that JR wasn't himself. Understandable as he's been off telly for so long and hasn't been too well.

That was an average PPV and probably less than average given this is the flagship PPV, certainly not worth the $65 I paid for it. So much padding that we surely could have gotten the US Title match in there. Undertaker vs HHH was okay for two 40+ year old guys going at it but seriously big move to stagger to laid out to big move and repeat?

The Cena vs Miz match was a clusterfuck of overbooking

• Paid Members

My brain-fried take on WM27 is as thus: "The best possible execution of the worst possible booking. The exact same as a dissertation that's finished in pencil at 6:45am on deadline day without actually performing what you set out to do, and still gets you 40%."

• Paid Members

I so wanted to like it, but Edge/Rio was clunky and uncoordinated, as was Rey/Rhodes. The 8 man was lot of set up for one move each.

Mixed tag was a mess. Surely Morrison and Trish could have come up with some interesting spotty stuff to make up for the lack of MITB? Snooki in tights might have been more flattering.

Punk/Orton was the first decent match, except for the "work the leg, work the leg, work the leg, ANNACONDA VICE!!" bit. Bless the commentators for trying to put over that his dodgy leg would stop him kicking out of it, but it still made no sense. Cracking RKO to finish it.

Undertaker/HHH was match of the night for me. I would have preferred it had Undertaker not half killed himself, and I wasn't blown away by the submission finish.

I understand why WWE do the stadium show, it makes them a shitload of cash, but if this event was in MSG, you gotta think the atmosphere would have been ten times better. In my opinion stadium shows for wrestling just come across on television as extremely flat and quiet, which takes you out of things much moreso than a poor match.

• Paid Members

I think I have these in the right order...

Edge/Del Rio was a very decent opener. Really enjoyed this. Strange to open with a World title though.

Cody/Rey was also very good, very impressed with Rhodes and that was the best I've seen Rey for a while

8-man was ok for a quick 5 min filler

Orton/Punk was better than I hoped- a nice slow bout to bring the pace down a bit after the previous three bouts. Decent.

Cole/Lawler was ok. Served it's purpose.

HHH/Taker was very good, surprised with the finish but still very good.

6-person was just quick harmless filler. Shame Ziggler & Morrison didn't get more time on the PPV

As for the main event...I think everyone else on here sums it up. I guess curious is the best word to use- it is really going to make me want to watch Raw more than if Cena went over clean with Rock/Cena embrace to close the show. Whatever is was it definitely killed any momentum the show had left.

Where on earth are they going with this? Is The Rock back in a wrestling capacity? Well, surely he must be now- if at least for a match VS Cena. I was hoping The Rock was going to make it a triple threat when he came down and win the title. Only the second time a heel has walked out of the main event as champion, non? Shame we didn't get Sheamus VS Bryan also.

I think they were up against time in the main event, they should have dropped the 8 man tag and invested the time in the main event. I thought Rey vs Codes was MOTN, as odd as that sounds, faster paced than any of the other matches. King vs cole went on for far too long, reminded me of bret vs vince last year. The Rock as host did not add a thing to the show. I was expecting more back stage segments.

Taker looked so out of it, had to laugh at the mobility stretcher!

• Paid Members
Triple H and Undertaker ended up being really good. I totally bought the Triple H tombstone. I thought he had him, as mental as that sounds.

Me too, which is indeed stupid. I was getting all ready to be outraged by it.

I do wonder how much of it was sell job though at the end. Another crash landing from his dive can't be doing him much good. Cracking bump from HHH too taking the backdrop from the table.

I'm pretty disappointed.

My intial impression is that, even though I didn't mind seeing some of the old faces return, it ultimately got sucked into being a night of catering to the big names. Daniel Bryan and Sheamus being completely bumped off the show in favour of a good half-hour (minimum) of excess screen time for the likes of HHH, Undertaker, Rock, Stone Cold and Shawn Michaels is a pretty good indicator of how things went down. And, true, I'm sure 80% of the paying audience won't mind that as much as I did, but I was really gutted. Not just because I really wanted to see that match, but because what replaced it was mostly pretty lame.

MVP of the show for me, by a mile, was CM Punk. Carried Orton to an engaging match and looked the business doing it.

Also props to Cody Rhodes and Rey Mysterio. The crowd were flat as hell, but I really liked that match too.

Everything else...I was a bit nonplussed about.

Edge/Del Rio was average, the 8-man was a time waste, Cole/Lawler was too long, the main event was a damp squib and HHH/Taker...well, I can't quite decide how I felt about that. I thought the story aspect toward the end was quite good, but I didn't enjoy what it took to get there. There was no wrestling in that match. It was big move, near fall, bigger move, near fall, biggest move, near fall and nothing else. And, yes, I know you could describe many matches that way, but in this case it felt like there was nothing in the gaps between; no construction or design. I was invested in the hugeness of it all - it really did feel like two titans going at it - but the match itself I was only okay with.

Ehh.

• Paid Members
Also, Lister, what did you not get from the main event that you were expecting?

The Rock-Cena confrontation that was the entire basis for the build and hype for the show. And one Rock bottom does not cut it.

Love to hear the reaction of anyone who put money on Lawler beating Cole, though.

• Paid Members
Triple H and Undertaker ended up being really good. I totally bought the Triple H tombstone. I thought he had him, as mental as that sounds.

Me too, which is indeed stupid. I was getting all ready to be outraged by it.

Yeah, same here. I actually punched the air in disbelief and held my head in my hands, which is stupid seeing as how I'm sitting here on my own.

So Rock / Cena at Summerslam then? Or will WWE rush it along and have it at the next PPV?

Archived