WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed the show, especially Punk/Orton and HHH/Taker don't know why so many negative comments. I admit the ending was wierd with their being no conlcusive babyface celebration that Mania usually has but it was a solid and fun show. Don't really know what people were expecting?

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was quite poor, not helped at all by the weird match selection on the card and some of the results.

Edge - Del Rio. I never thought for a second that Edge would retain here, I'm not totally sold on Del Rio getting the world title but with seemingly anyone getting a run with the world belt these days I though Del Rio would be better then most to gain it at Mania. Stuck on first for no good reason I couldn't really get into it. Edge smashing up the car afterwards made him seem more of a cunt then a face really, its been the general theme for ages now in WWE with the heels being in the right often, and the faces getting more and more heelish.

Some of the spots in the Rey - Rhodes match were nice, but I can't stand Cody Rhodes or ever buy him as a threat, he just looks.... weird. Probably one of the only matches with decent psychology though. Played on the mask, the leg brace and put together a match and a finish which was passable.

8 man tag was worthless, why is it on Mania and Bryan/Sheamus (an actual title match) removed?

Punk/Orton was decent and they played on the leg injury well until Punk locked on the Anaconda Vice which made no fucking sense whatsoever. WWE matches are so formula based now that it plays out with specific points the crowd are supposed to react, I knew Orton was going to hit the RKO after the sell job during the punt run, didnt expect the pause with Punk knowing it was coming, nice RKO spot from the top but thats about it.

Cole vs Lawler was dreadful as it was going to be. I know King has never had a match at WM and all that but was this really memorable? Austin doesn't give a shit these days and goes into his beer bash every time we see him and the stunner for Booker was coming from a mile off. King throwing Matthews to the Rattlesnake was another heelish act from a face. They'd of had more luck pushing Cole as Swaggers manager and Cole getting a King punch on the apron just before the finish instead of Cole being the participant.

HHH - Taker was weird. There was zero zero planning out of the match, didn't really tell a story at all. A bunch of high impact moves, the usual table spots/Taker dive and then a bunch of finishers. The last ride counter AGAIN. I must admit I was genuinly shocked when Triple H nailed the Tombstone, I wondered if Taker was retiring or something, they did play the ending well but HHH should of passed out completely rather then tapped. It also should of gone on last as I think these are the last two guys WWE have that are worthy of anything main event in ring wise. Still it made match of the night on this card.

Didnt think Snooki had that much athleticism on her but what was the point really? Mania just seems to be about any celebrity getting 5 minutes to pop the buyrate instead of keeping or gaining new fans by putting on actual quality matches. Tonight just seemed like wrestling had truely died on the main scale as WWE has realised match quality means nothing anymore.

Miz - Cena. At this point I was hardly watching, Miz is doing okay in his role as WWE champ but still comes off as just a midcarder who hasn't learnt his craft to perfection which is what I'd expect of a World title holder. Cena booed heavily once again as usual at Wrestlemania but he'll still be the same old dumb baby kissing face Vince thinks he is and never actually ever will be to WWE's actual core audience. They could of had the match declared no DQ/no countout before and not killed the crowd with a shit DQ false finish. Rock should of been enforcer for the whole match rather then have the crowd more interested for Rock's music to hit. No real interest in seeing Rock vs Cena, it'll end with Cena going over, them both hugging and Rock endorsing Cena. Pretty much bullshit when Cena will never be on Rock's level.

Wrestlemania has now become mediocre which is a crying shame. I can't remember much of the past main events from the last 9 manias now besides HBK Taker and WWE has officially thought "fuck the wrestling, heres' a celebrity to make you watch"

gutted reading these comments. I just got back from georgia dome and the crowd was rabid, clearly that hasnt come across on tv. Random thoughts : The lawler match got lots of boring chants. People were not sure when the show was over, with rock celebrating, people were waiting for a cena comeback that didnt happen. Snooki match was a pissbreak exodus. Everything rock did got a huge reaction. The title match being first, and sheamus v bryan getting bumped, was a big talking point for our section. Some guys were marking out huge for cole's win because they'd apparently bet on him with bodog

gutted reading these comments. I just got back from georgia dome and the crowd was rabid, clearly that hasnt come across on tv. Random thoughts : The lawler match got lots of boring chants. People were not sure when the show was over, with rock celebrating, people were waiting for a cena comeback that didnt happen. Snooki match was a pissbreak exodus. Everything rock did got a huge reaction. The title match being first, and sheamus v bryan getting bumped, was a big talking point for our section. Some guys were marking out huge for cole's win because they'd apparently bet on him with bodog

My section was awesome too... Crowd appeared decent within the dome, shame it didn't seem to translate to TV.

Likewise, the US title match situation was bizzare, and also a bit of a talking point.

At first i hated Mania, now i've decided i will re-watch it this week. The thing that got me were the hundreds of promos and adverts, there was easily an hours worth of crap that could have been cut out in order to give time to the corre vs team big show (1 min 30 sec...really) or even to put Bryan vs Sheamus on the card (i didnt even realise it was turned into a dark match, i thought they just forgot to do it!)

The Rock as the host did nothing for me, an overly long promo to open Mania had me drained before the opening match, then he did 2 backstage promos during the first hour, then we didnt see him till the main event. Wrestlemania Host = Bad Idea.

Highlight for me was Cole in the orange jumpsuit. I wasn't too keen Taker vs HHH but i might have been too harsh on that due to being drained by promos, so definitely gonna watch the matches again and fast forward all the crap adverts advertising an event i had already paid for.

• Paid Members

The Rock ruined Wrestlemania for me. Whatever momentum the show had, The Rock made sure to kill it every time. From going on and on forever at the start, when 'Mania is meant to kick off with a hot opening match he drained me, then two throwaway segments backstage, then he killed the main event dead. Wrestlemania shouldn't end in a double countout, even if it is restarted. What was the point? The Rock could have easily came down during the ref bump and hit Cena. I admit I did enjoy his Austin staredown mind.

HHH/Taker was like watching Kurt Angle wrestle himself, just do finishing moves and nearfalls in a row, then win with something else. I did think for a minute HHH had won it with the second pedigree/tombstone though, and HHH's entrance was class.

Michael Cole was hilarious, from his class attire to him shouting "JERRY!" every time his face smashed off the Cole Mine. Aside from that the entire match was shit from start to finish. It should have been Jack Swagger interfering until Austin catches him out and stunners him, then Lawler goes mad on Cole and pins him clean. What we got was about 10 minutes of weak Michael Cole offense, and Jerry Lawler losing and looking a prat.

Aside from those, everything was throwaway crap. Snooki caught me off guard, the Corre match may as well have not happened, Sheamus/Bryan getting bumped off was needless, segments weren't funny, Alberto should have won, and shouldn't have been on first. Can't remember much else, which is bad for the biggest show of the year. Didn't feel like a Wrestlemania at all, awfully booked.

The Rock ruined Wrestlemania for me. Whatever momentum the show had, The Rock made sure to kill it every time. From going on and on forever at the start, when 'Mania is meant to kick off with a hot opening match he drained me, then two throwaway segments backstage, then he killed the main event dead. Wrestlemania shouldn't end in a double countout, even if it is restarted. What was the point? The Rock could have easily came down during the ref bump and hit Cena. I admit I did enjoy his Austin staredown mind.

HHH/Taker was like watching Kurt Angle wrestle himself, just do finishing moves and nearfalls in a row, then win with something else. I did think for a minute HHH had won it with the second pedigree/tombstone though, and HHH's entrance was class.

Michael Cole was hilarious, from his class attire to him shouting "JERRY!" every time his face smashed off the Cole Mine. Aside from that the entire match was shit from start to finish. It should have been Jack Swagger interfering until Austin catches him out and stunners him, then Lawler goes mad on Cole and pins him clean. What we got was about 10 minutes of weak Michael Cole offense, and Jerry Lawler losing and looking a prat.

Aside from those, everything was throwaway crap. Snooki caught me off guard, the Corre match may as well have not happened, Sheamus/Bryan getting bumped off was needless, segments weren't funny, Alberto should have won, and shouldn't have been on first. Can't remember much else, which is bad for the biggest show of the year. Didn't feel like a Wrestlemania at all, awfully booked.

I agree with all of this. Im still gonna give the matches a second watch though in case i was being too harsh about it.

• Paid Members

You idiots, you've all forgotten the proper good moments of the night:-

1) Punk's "OOOOOH!" when he kneed Orton in the face in the corner.

2) Triple H crawling backwards across the ring when Undie kicked out for the 18th time with a look on his face like he really was wrestling a zombie.

3) Alex Riley looking surprised when one person cheered the announcement of his name.

4) Heath Slater's awesome selling of the Cobra.

But that was it really. Aside from The Miz's video intro. That was utterly brilliant.

It honestly felt like a really long Raw to me, some of the booking and the match order came across completely wrong. I thought the point of winning the Royal Rumble was to HEADLINE Wrestlemania, not fucking open it.

The idea of a this being a show of grand spectacles shot itself in the foot with Cena's entrance leading him to getting more hate than the Miz (GG on that one)

Hate to say it but that was the worst Mania I've watched, I'm wondering if Vince even knows what makes Mania so special anymore :\

It honestly felt like a really long Raw to me, some of the booking and the match order came across completely wrong. I thought the point of winning the Royal Rumble was to HEADLINE Wrestlemania, not fucking open it.

The idea of a this being a show of grand spectacles shot itself in the foot with Cena's entrance leading him to getting more hate than the Miz (GG on that one)

Hate to say it but that was the worst Mania I've watched, I'm wondering if Vince even knows what makes Mania so special anymore :\

This, sure there were some good matches.. but nothing standout ish and was a big bag of meh

I enjoyed the fact that they're trying to gain a bigger mexican audience yet after 2 matches it was USA 2 - Mexico 0.

Also Edge looked a right dickhead smashing the car up. Hey Fans, We're good guys, and good guys smash peoples cars up. Lots of love, WWE PG.

Archived