The Jim Johnston Appreciation Thread

Jetta's G-string

To me this guy is a huge cog in the WWE machine, creating music I still sing to this day. You never hear much about him so thought i'd see what you guys think of him? And what you're favourite Johnston song is?

For me it's still Stone Cold's glass smashing music, to this day I can't hear a glass smash without thinking of Austin and humming his tune lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Was he responsible for the Rougeaus theme? That was top.

There were some amazing character-encapsulating tunes over the years. The themes for Jake, The Model, Mr Perfect, Ravishing Rick, the Harts, Vader and Mankind were among my favourites. Even the Repo Man theme was pretty good.

And of course, the cheesy ones for the likes of Million Dollar Man and The Mountie. Can't beat singing along to "I'm The Mountie" to make your non-fan mates question your orientation / throw things.

• Paid Members

Being in to producing myself and being a wrestling fan, Jim is one of those guys that i would really, really like to meet.

Seeing as WWE use a load of absoloute pure shite for the majority of themes these days, is Jim still employed by WWE? In fact, is he actually still alive, i assume he is. A complete and utter legend IMO, he helped to create so many gimmicks.

In terms of fav tune? faaarrr too many to choose from.

Being in to producing myself and being a wrestling fan, Jim is one of those guys that i would really, really like to meet.

Seeing as WWE use a load of absoloute pure shite for the majority of themes these days, is Jim still employed by WWE? In fact, is he actually still alive, i assume he is. A complete and utter legend IMO, he helped to create so many gimmicks.

In terms of fav tune? faaarrr too many to choose from.

Yes, he is still alive. He still works for the WWE as well, he was supposed to be leaving last year, and there was a rumored Anthology 2 CD to be released when he was on his way out, but he ended up staying around. He truly is a genius, and very talented man as well.

• Paid Members

Jimmy Hart had the better record during the 80s and early 90s. Hart did the themes for the Honky Tonk Man, Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase, Andre The Giant, The Rougeaus Brothers, The Hart Foundation, Shawn Michaels, If You Only Knew, Piledriver and a few others. Jimmy Hart and Jim Johnson were a good team in the 80s.

Jimmy Hart had the better record during the 80s and early 90s. Hart did the themes for the Honky Tonk Man, Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase, Andre The Giant, The Rougeaus Brothers, The Hart Foundation, Shawn Michaels, If You Only Knew, Piledriver and a few others. Jimmy Hart and Jim Johnson were a good team in the 80s.

I don't know if Jimmy Hart had a small helping hand or what, but "Real American" was done by Rick Derringer.

• Paid Members

I don't know if Jimmy Hart had a small helping hand or what, but "Real American" was done by Rick Derringer.

Yeah, your right. He did write the nWo theme and American made though.

Here's the league table of writing credits. Who wins do you think? I think Jimmy Hart has him beat in the 80s. Looks like Jimmy Hart had the best of it.

Jimmy "The Superfly" Snuka - "The Superfly Theme" (Jim Johnston)

Jake "The Snake" Roberts - "Snake in the Grass" (Jim Johnston)

Ultimate Warrior - "Warrior Wildfire" (Jim Johnston)

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake - "Struttin' and a Cuttin'" (Jim Johnston)

Dusty Rhodes - "Common Man Boogie" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

Hulk Hogan - "Real American" (B. Kinney and Rick Derringer)

Big Boss Man - "Servin' Hard Time" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

Hacksaw Jim Duggan - "Hoooo Hustle" (Jim Johnston)

Rhythm & Blues - "Hunka, Hunka Honky Love" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

Demolition - "Demolition Daze" (Jimmy Hart, J.J. Maguire, Rick Derringer)

The Rockers - "Rockin' Rockers" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

The Bushwhackers - "Bushwhacker Boogie" (Jim Johnston)

Texas Tornado - "Tornado Warning" (Jim Johnston)

Legion of Doom - "What a Rush" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

The Dragon - "Dragon Fire" (Jim Johnston)

British Bulldog - "Rule, Britannia!" (Leonard Bernstein & the New York Philharmonic)

The Nasty Boys - "Nastisized" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

Million Dollar Man - "Million $ Rap" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

The Natural Disasters - "The Quaker Shake" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

The Undertaker - "The Grim Reaper" (Jim Johnston)

Tatanka - "The War Dance" (Jim Johnston)

Papa Shango - "The Shango Tango" (Jim Johnston)

Repo Man - "Repossessor Blues" (Jim Johnston)

Bret Hart - "Hart Beat" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

Shawn Michaels - "Sexy Boy" (Jimmy Hart and J.J. Maguire)

Archived