The Jim Johnston Appreciation Thread

Jetta's G-string

Jimmy Hart seems to be the guy who did most of the lyrics based tunes in 80's. His memphis stuff was fucking brilliant.

Who did the theme tune to Prime Time Wrestling 1991/Bam Bam Bigelow circa 1987/88, if so they were better, god I love that theme and it's impossible to find

That Prime Time theme is production, I have a brilliant version of it if you want a download link. I'm just not sure if it is alright to post it on here.

Jimmy Hart had the better record during the 80s and early 90s. Hart did the themes for the Honky Tonk Man, Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase, Andre The Giant, The Rougeaus Brothers, The Hart Foundation, Shawn Michaels, If You Only Knew, Piledriver and a few others. Jimmy Hart and Jim Johnson were a good team in the 80s.

Andre had theme music?

Nope, he never had music. Though he did for video games (newer ones from the 2000s, Smackdown Vs Raw was the first one I think).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure he has input in most of the theme songs done by 'proper' bands too. The guy surely deserves a Hall of Fame induction because most, if not all his themes are pretty much embedded into any wrestling fans mind no matter the era.

• Paid Members
They have to pay Jesse Ventura royalties if wanting to use his commentary? Why's that?

In 1990 Ventura took WWF to court for royalities for the use of his commentary in video releases. He won (even though his contract stated he wouldn't get any) getting a big lump sum and money from all future releases he featured in.

Good to see Jimmy Hart did American Dream. Is that why it's edited off some versions of Wrestlemania VI and replaced with the theme off John Leslie's Wheel of fucking Fortune of all things?

From 8:15

That is fucking tremendous! :thumbsup::laugh:

Fuck me, is that the Crimewatch theme at the end as well? :confused:

This thread is awesome.

I'm pretty sure he has input in most of the theme songs done by 'proper' bands too. The guy surely deserves a Hall of Fame induction because most, if not all his themes are pretty much embedded into any wrestling fans mind no matter the era.

Yeah he writes those themes, it's very rare that he doesn't have a hand in them. Like The Nexus theme for example, he just edited it so it started at a different point for maximum impact for the entrance. Themes like "End Of Days" (The Corre), "Broken Dreams" (Drew McIntyre), "I Came To Play" (The Miz) and "I Come From Money" (Ted DiBiase) were all written by Jim and he just contacts bands to perform them. There's usually at least 2/3 bands that record the theme before one is selected, this was shown with The Corre having about 4 theme songs. I know at least 2 artists recorded Zack Ryder's "Radio" theme as well.

Short answer, yeah he's involved. :)

• Paid Members

Yeah he writes those themes, it's very rare that he doesn't have a hand in them. Like The Nexus theme for example, he just edited it so it started at a different point for maximum impact for the entrance. Themes like "End Of Days" (The Corre), "Broken Dreams" (Drew McIntyre), "I Came To Play" (The Miz) and "I Come From Money" (Ted DiBiase) were all written by Jim and he just contacts bands to perform them. There's usually at least 2/3 bands that record the theme before one is selected, this was shown with The Corre having about 4 theme songs. I know at least 2 artists recorded Zack Ryder's "Radio" theme as well.

Short answer, yeah he's involved. :)

For example, here is another version of Dolph Ziggler's theme performed by the band that did Miz's "I Came To Play" theme.

I couldn't agree more! I'm sure Johnson will be in the HOF soon enough. :)

somebody mentioned it earlier but is the WWE Anthology 2 ever going to see the light of day or was it just a rumour??

It's something Jim wants to do but I guess he has to get the green light from WWE to go ahead with it.

If it happens i'm hoping for Kerwin White's theme :)

Archived