The Classic Videogame Console Thread

Cobra1000

I downloaded a mod for No Mercy called Summerslam 2010. Upgraded arenas, new moves and obviously updated roster. It's phenomenal. No mercy was far better ( in my opinion ) than any other wrestling games. No Mercy is more of a simulator, others are arcadey pish. The mod. Check the details of the faces!

wwfnomercy8773746a21f8b.png

98195775.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My oldest console is from 1978, and has a teak effect finish. I don't think there's much out there that I'd want that would out-retro that.

Other than that I have a Master System, a (poorly) Megadrive and a SNES. I do wish my ZX Spectrum still worked, as I reckon I'd still get plenty of joy out of games like Fantasy World Dizzy. I found a review for Ghostbusters on YouTube the other day that slated it (and with good reason), but I've been hankering to play it ever since.

My girlfriend's ex is into gaming in a major way, and her spare bedroom still has a load of his old consoles in. He's got pretty much everything you can think of from Neo Geo to PC Engine, Colleco Vision to Virtual Boy, and various others that I have no idea what they are.

They have an original Outrun cabinet in the basement too. :thumbsup:

I think for nostalgia purposes, I'd like to get an Amiga again and a load of the games that I spent my early teenage years playing. IK+, Hostages, D-Generation, Flashback, etc..

Dreamcast, Ps2, Gamecube and Xbox are all retro. Embrace and celebrate that fact

No.

PS2 is still getting sodding releases, albiet few and far between, but any console that is still getting official releases is not, in any way, retro.

They were "last gen" rather than retro. Say they're good by all means (You would be wrong when it comes to the Gamecube or N64 of course. But they did make great door stops), but to say they are retro is bollocks.

Que? What grounds is it not retro, you have no discussion there other than to say 'it's bollocks'

A definition of 'Retro' from Free Dictionary.com

2. Involving, relating to, or reminiscent of things past

To those kids just in adulthood, all those consoles are the past, and have been for sometime they are what they grew up with, much as people from earlier grew up with Atari 2600's, Commodore 64's Amiga/ ST, Snes or Megadrive and on, thus by all accounts it is a retro thing.

So the PS2 is still getting releases, so what?

Dreamcast is still getting new commercial releases and was supported by Sega until 2007

Gamecube was getting releases up until 2007

Xbox 1 until 2008 (Madden 09 iirc)

The Sega Megadrive has just had a commercial release in the form of Pier Solar

The Snes is going to get a release from the guys that made Beggar Prince and there are plenty of new commercial games for older computers and consoles

Point is, it doesnt matter. These are all retro systems now, whether you or I or anyone else likes it or not. There has been some debate over this in recent times in the likes of Retro Gamer on whether to include them or not, because some, 'snobs' cant see past what their era is or what they consider to be retro must be the definitive version of them and the rules (sic) which determine them

Retro Gaming is all about the nostalgia hit, each persons nostalgia is different and as such what they consider to be retro and non retro will be different as well. Rather than getting knickers in a twist trying to quantify what should be and what is and isnt retro, it is perhaps better to let people remember and be free spirited about it rather than trying to shoe horn people and consoles into particular groups because that's the done thing.

There is an excellent article that explores some of this and other issues here. It looks at the 'Dark Side of Retro Gaming' and is well worth a read.

The times and boundaries have changed. Its perhaps about time that some retro gamers changed as well

• Paid Members

If you could pick 1 'retro' game to be available on ps3 or 360, what would it be?

Would you like it to be a new updated version, or 'as it was' for downloadable content/best of compilation game?

As stated mine would be the recently axed 'new version' of road rash

If you could pick 1 'retro' game to be available on ps3 or 360, what would it be?

Would you like it to be a new updated version, or 'as it was' for downloadable content/best of compilation game?

As stated mine would be the recently axed 'new version' of road rash

Seeing as No Mercy has been mentioned i'd go further back and "Remake" WWF Wrestlefest.

Keep it as similar to the original as possible (Graphics with the same chunky sprites) but have current wrestlers in place of the old ones and add a couple of match types/modes, make it a budget downloadable game for 200 points and bingo.

Also, i'd like to see Superfrog make a comeback but that will never happen.

• Paid Members
Dreamcast, Ps2, Gamecube and Xbox are all retro. Embrace and celebrate that fact

No.

PS2 is still getting sodding releases, albiet few and far between, but any console that is still getting official releases is not, in any way, retro.

They were "last gen" rather than retro. Say they're good by all means (You would be wrong when it comes to the Gamecube or N64 of course. But they did make great door stops), but to say they are retro is bollocks.

Que? What grounds is it not retro, you have no discussion there other than to say 'it's bollocks'

A definition of 'Retro' from Free Dictionary.com

To those kids just in adulthood, all those consoles are the past, and have been for sometime they are what they grew up with, much as people from earlier grew up with Atari 2600's, Commodore 64's Amiga/ ST, Snes or Megadrive and on, thus by all accounts it is a retro thing.

So the PS2 is still getting releases, so what?

Dreamcast is still getting new commercial releases and was supported by Sega until 2007

Gamecube was getting releases up until 2007

Xbox 1 until 2008 (Madden 09 iirc)

The Sega Megadrive has just had a commercial release in the form of Pier Solar

The Snes is going to get a release from the guys that made Beggar Prince and there are plenty of new commercial games for older computers and consoles

Point is, it doesnt matter. These are all retro systems now, whether you or I or anyone else likes it or not. There has been some debate over this in recent times in the likes of Retro Gamer on whether to include them or not, because some, 'snobs' cant see past what their era is or what they consider to be retro must be the definitive version of them and the rules (sic) which determine them

Retro Gaming is all about the nostalgia hit, each persons nostalgia is different and as such what they consider to be retro and non retro will be different as well. Rather than getting knickers in a twist trying to quantify what should be and what is and isnt retro, it is perhaps better to let people remember and be free spirited about it rather than trying to shoe horn people and consoles into particular groups because that's the done thing.

There is an excellent article that explores some of this and other issues here. It looks at the 'Dark Side of Retro Gaming' and is well worth a read.

The times and boundaries have changed. Its perhaps about time that some retro gamers changed as well

As far as I'm concerned, retro is two generations ago. Regarding the other consoles that were supported up until recently. I'll also note that I've stated that they're not retro either. I mean hell, there's a company now releasing actual Amstrad CPC 464 games on tape, it doesn't change whether or not it's retro as it quite obviously is.

Also, looking at when the consoles were released to see whether it should be retro or not is a fail. It's more in regards to the technology improvement over time. Plus if we base it on any date it should be the date it stopped getting regular mainstream releases. Not the date it was released. Otherwise we could wind up at a point where we are calling a console retro before the following generation is released, purely because it hung around so long (for instance, would the original Gameboy be classed as retro, despite the fact it was no different to the Gameboy colour, barring it had no colour, which was around until 2002. That's a total of 13 years availability, if we go on release date, it was retro before it died).

As far as I'm concerned, retro is two generations ago. Regarding the other consoles that were supported up until recently. I'll also note that I've stated that they're not retro either. I mean hell, there's a company now releasing actual Amstrad CPC 464 games on tape, it doesn't change whether or not it's retro as it quite obviously is.

Also, looking at when the consoles were released to see whether it should be retro or not is a fail. It's more in regards to the technology improvement over time. Plus if we base it on any date it should be the date it stopped getting regular mainstream releases. Not the date it was released. Otherwise we could wind up at a point where we are calling a console retro before the following generation is released, purely because it hung around so long (for instance, would the original Gameboy be classed as retro, despite the fact it was no different to the Gameboy colour, barring it had no colour, which was around until 2002. That's a total of 13 years availability, if we go on release date, it was retro before it died).

Good grief, you dont get it do you?

Trying to classify something to create some kind of order revovling what is and isnt retro has effectively become a non entity. As I said above and you ignored, to those people growing up those consoles are retro irrespective of release dates. You cant shoe horn into a discussion something that clearly no longer fits. Fan bois, or dividing into camps or whatever, the we must discuss labels about retro fans like a pack of demented trannies discussing their own labels in order to define something that doesnt exist in the first place or keeping discussions to a level that you are comfortable with because in your eyes they arent retro are no longer relevent, the gaming world has moved on. Some retro gamers it would appear have not trying to maintatin a holier than thou snobbery about the whole thing like it some how is utterly important as to how it is defined

The shark has well and truly jumped on this one, and retro gamers themselves are in danger of fulfilling the stereotype of being backward looking anal stick in the mud's more obsessed with having discussions and disagreements about things that stopped being relevant a long time ago as per the dictionary definition (again) Retro is simply defined as

To all 'retro' gamers this could mean 5 years ago 10 years ago or whatever. Basically its something that isnt current and is being discussed as retro. Many younger gamers today, dont even know some of the history surrounding the early ps2 stuff, let alone anything before that. Then you have the distinction from going retro (ps2) to archaic (earlier) means that the whole thing is starting to resemble

and there is little you or I or any retro scholar can do anything about. Its already happened(ing) Tough.

• Paid Members

If you two could continue this argument, you would be doing me a great favour - the insomnia's creeping back.

Besides, who actually gives a fuck about what you two are arguing about?

We've got almost the full set of RETRO consoles although we don't get to play them much because we've never unpacked everything since we moved here. We do have complete Megadrive, SNES, NES and Master System emulators on the MAME cabinet we've got, but anything beyond that is no good on there because you can't save games on there and there are some SNES and Megadrive games (like Super Mario World) that also need saving too. That's why we're protective of our 16 bit consoles onwards.

I really like the Saturn as well, actually - played Virtua Cop 2 to death on that.

Besides, who actually gives a fuck about what you two are arguing about?

That was my point, it doesnt matter does it?

We've got almost the full set of RETRO consoles although we don't get to play them much because we've never unpacked everything since we moved here. We do have complete Megadrive, SNES, NES and Master System emulators on the MAME cabinet we've got, but anything beyond that is no good on there because you can't save games on there and there are some SNES and Megadrive games (like Super Mario World) that also need saving too. That's why we're protective of our 16 bit consoles onwards.

I really like the Saturn as well, actually - played Virtua Cop 2 to death on that.

What have I got er up here

Amiga 500

Megadrive (s)

Mega CD

32x

Sega Master System

Snes

Saturn

Dreamcast

N64

Ps2

C16

Back at folks

Atari Lynx

Atari STFM

Nes

Commodore 64

Zx Spectrum

Commodore 16+4

and probably a whole load of stuff Ive forgotten

Out of all of them am collecting Megadrive, Mega CD and 32x stuff currently. I've got c. 300 games for the megadrive 77/95 ish of the mega CD games and most of the 32x games 13/20 ish

Bloody brilliant

Coming up to date ish, did anyone actually like Oni? on the Ps2

• Paid Members

I have pretty much all the older consoles set up in my games room on a rear projection TV. Tried them on a HD and they just never looked right, I have a thing called the Wildcard for my SNES :- http://www.chronicgames.net/catalogue/snes...ackup-unit.aspx, when I was younger all the video shops used to rent out the SNES games so I used to rent them out and the just copy em to a floppy disk, now I can just use roms and copy em onto a floppy if there was any games I missed.

I have 1 for my Mega Drive also called then Super Magic Drive which did the same as the SNES wild card. http://segaretro.org/Super_Magic_Drive?rdf...26redirect%3Dno

I have a CD version for my N64 called the Doctror V64, It has about 10 CD with about 40 games on each. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_V64

I also have.

old Atari console which was the 1st I remember having,

NES,

Master system,

3DO,

Megadrive with the mega CD on it.

Neo Geo and the Neo Geo CD version,

CD-I,

GameCube

Saturn

Dreamcast

Then the PS1 PS2 X-box

A big Tmnt arcade cabinet which also works with the Simpsons game I have.

I have loads of handhelds from the old Nintendo flip and play things to the Gameboy and the Virtual boy a few Saga Nomads, Lynx, Gamegear and a Turbo express.

Just the SNES alone I have over 400 games and the same with the Mega Drive. I still play on the SNES allot as I have 2 lazy boys in the same room so when a mate comes round we will go and have ago at some of the older games.

It's funny when I look back because i've always been into video games, yet for some reason i never bought another system after the N64, and i can't really explain why.

My lot was an Amstrad CPC464, Megadrive, SuperNES, N64 and then PC, although the only games i had for that were demo freebies. There was an Atari 2600 in the house but it wasn't mine.

I have the fondest memories the longer back I go, which is obviously just misty eyed nostalgia. I have a bit of a tendency to check youtube and the like to see old games on that system, but it's always a bad move because it ruins the memory when you see just how basic they were.

When I had the Amstrad i was quite lucky in that 4 or 5 friends had one too, so between us we had loads - truth be told i can hardly remember what were all mine and what weren't. Anyways, between us all, here's some of the ones i have fond memories of (with the help of the wiki page to remind me!) - most were no doubt shite even at the time, but as a 6 year old or whatever, I wasn't fussed;

Cheapos - Soccer Boss, Harrier Attack, Roland In The Caves, World Games, Oh Mummy, Turbo Esprit (thanks to the mention in the other thread), 720, Skate or Die, Emlyn Hughes International Football, Beach Football, ATV simulator, Super Stuntman, Airwolf , Army Moves, Kickstart II, Boulderdash, Commando, Kane, Ghostbusters, Grand prix Simulator, Green Beret, IK+, Temple of Doom, Jet Bike Simulator, 180, Last Ninja, Miami Vice, Biggles, Mig 29 Soviet Fighter, Milk Race, First Blood Pt 2, Return Of The Jedi, Ricochet, Spy Hunter, Xevious, Way of the exploding fist

Rip-offs (i think) - Gryzor, Combat school, Mask 2, Leaderboard Tournament, Crazy Cars 2, Matchday 2, Daley Thompson Olympic Challenge, one of the Football manager's, Microprose Soccer, Manchester Utd, Robocop, Bad Dudes v Dragon Ninja

Operation Wolf/Thunderbolt, Platoon, WEC Le Mans, Double Dragon

Comps - Gold Silver Bronze, 4 soccer Simulator, Elite compilation (Enduro Racer, Paperboy, Living Daylight, Singes Castle, Ghost n Goblins), Konami Arcade (Green Beret, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Hypersports, nemesis etc),

About the only ones i didn't like is ones that I had saw or played in the arcade previously and knew were shit in comparison - like Powerdrift, Chase HQ, Continental Circus, Cisco Heat, Outrun, Afterburner etc.

Happy days - any of those ring a bell? :)

I used to love getting "arcade conversions" for the Spectrum - Operation Wolf, Afterburner, Green Beret, Road Blasters. Right near the end of its life, there were screenshots bouncing around of a Streetfighter 2 conversion, but I don't think it ever saw the light of day.

You mentioned Last Ninja there - I believe you can get Last Ninja 2 on Wiiware. There's a whole bunch of C64 games for cheap download. I've given my Wii away now, though, so I can't play them.

Snes and the N64 are my two favourites, recently bought a wired 360 pad to use on my emulators and haven't touched my Xbox since. Been playing No Mercy mainly but the career is so infuriating damn HHH just keeps fucking me over :devil:

Also I've just downloaded Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 for the N64 which is just tremendous, its basically just the Japanese version of No Mercy but much more fun I've found I guess I just love fucking people up with Vader.

Been playing No Mercy mainly but the career is so infuriating damn HHH just keeps fucking me over :devil:

I vaguely recall beating some of the tougher opponents with countouts. Throw Trips outside and hurl the ring steps at him until he goes down, slap a submission or two on him until you're almost counted out then run back to the ring to claim your victory. It's not an honourable win, but iirc Trips was stupidly overpowered in No Mercy.

Been playing No Mercy mainly but the career is so infuriating damn HHH just keeps fucking me over :devil:

I vaguely recall beating some of the tougher opponents with countouts. Throw Trips outside and hurl the ring steps at him until he goes down, slap a submission or two on him until you're almost counted out then run back to the ring to claim your victory. It's not an honourable win, but iirc Trips was stupidly overpowered in No Mercy.

The bit I'm stuck on with him I have to pin him in a tag match, its me & the Rock vs him & Benoit. I hammer Benoit then when I do the same thing and try to pin Trips it gets broke up, I've lasted till about 20 minutes before I quit in frustration :devil:

I think I might attempt it again now, another annoying thing was before this I had to fight two handicap matches in a row which took the piss as well.

Archived