The Classic Videogame Console Thread

Cobra1000

Okay so I thought I'd give this a go, here we can discuss all the classic/retro videogame systems that we love.

First of all I've had my Gamecube out and am loving it, started playing The Wind Waker, Starfox Adventures, Viewtiful Joe and F Zero GX. I'm trying to grow my game collection too,,looking to get Resident Evil Zero, Twilight Princess and a few others.

Also is Twilight Princess rare on the Gamecube at all? Or are people on ebay taking the piss?

So share your love for the Gamecube, what were your favorite games? Is it one of the best gaming systems ever...?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont really rate the gamecube yea there is a few decent games on there but the controllers are wank and the games library isnt great.

Retro consoles i own

Master System 1

Mega Drive 1

Sega Saturn

Snes

N64

PS1

PS2

Various gameboys

Can't remember if it was the Gamecube or the Dreamcast, but the UFC game back in those days was awesome. Much better than the overcomplicated shite they've brought out recently.

Also, didn't the Dreamcast have the worst game controller ever? With the wire sticking out towards you and the shit little Gameboy type add-on you could plug in it. Although Bass Fishing was pretty great on it.

I've got a Master System, NES, SNES, Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, PS1, PS2, Gamecube and an XBOX. Got about 12 storage tubs full of games too collecting dust mainly but I do get them out from time to time, in the process of selling a bundle of cartridges to someone on here actually.

I never had much time for the Gamecube, I thought Mario Kart Double Dash was the worst console version of the game ever, Mario Sunshine was a giant letdown and I'm not a big Zelda fan, although Resi 4 was great on the cube. Can't say alot else about the thing though.

• Paid Members

I'm all about the retro. I've had every console that was released in the uk, apart from the nes or as mentioned, a jaguar but I do remember wanting it so bad when flicking through the Argos cat. My fav by far was the mega drive, I had a mega cd too, but god that was a waste of time.

Soooooo many games I wish they would either remake or release as mini downlaodable content for ps3/360.

As mentioned in other threads, my 2 main games of choice to bring back, skitchin and road rash, the latter recently being scrapped for a new version, seen a couple of vids and I hope it's eventually remade.

Anyway, cool thread

Dreamcast, Ps2, Gamecube and Xbox are all retro. Embrace and celebrate that fact

Dreamcast is 13 years old

Ps2 is 11 years old

Gamecube is 10 years old

Xbox is 10 years old as well

Kids who had these consoles around 8-9 are now adults in their own right, so yes, they are retro. I dont agree with some later games being talked up as future classics when they are already known as being classics, however they are definitely retro up to a point, possibly a 5 year rule ( so 2006?) as all of them come under a 10 year rule!

That many dont consider them retro is because of the 2 gen rule, which is daft, because according that the PS1 is barely retro, The longlevity of this and the last gen as consoles go has skewed things royally. With the xbox 360 already being 6 years old (2005 release) then things are harder to define.

The Sega Megadrive for example was it its prime for only about 7 years 1988-1995 yet that was retro by 2000 as there had been 2 gen jumps by then PS1 and PS2. Now we have had 1 jump in 10 years and it has distorted things a little

N64 is the best console in my eyes. Two words, No Mercy! How can a game that was made 11 years ago still be better than gash wrestling games out now. To quote Bernard Manning " it's a fucking disgrace ".

No Mercy is still fucking amazing! Every time a new wrestling game comes out my friends and I always hope that it'll be an updated version of No Mercy, but it never is.

Who was that guy on here who claimed that No Mercy was shit because "you can't reverse moves"? I remember loads of people telling him that reversals were possible and even telling him exactly how to do them, but he still wouldn't have it.

The Gamecube was the last console I owned before I lost total interest in gaming, I really enjoyed it.

Starfox Adventures

This is a forgotten classic, the graphics are still mind boggling today, it has an incredible charm with the voice acting, and was not so difficult that casual gamers like me couldn't complete it, unlike the Zelda games which I never managed to get through.

The 'Day Of Reckoning' games were also cool on the Cube as I recall, I was into wrestling at the time and thought they were the best wrestling games since No Mercy, I had some amazing multiplayers on it, where you'd just reverse move after move.

All my friends had PS2's at the time, but I opted for the Gamecube as I'd always been a Nintendo fan, and didn't regret it, although I had some amazing multiplayer times on Pro Evo at their gaffs back in the day.

• Paid Members
Dreamcast, Ps2, Gamecube and Xbox are all retro. Embrace and celebrate that fact

No.

PS2 is still getting sodding releases, albiet few and far between, but any console that is still getting official releases is not, in any way, retro.

They were "last gen" rather than retro. Say they're good by all means (You would be wrong when it comes to the Gamecube or N64 of course. But they did make great door stops), but to say they are retro is bollocks.

N64 is the best console in my eyes. Two words, No Mercy! How can a game that was made 11 years ago still be better than gash wrestling games out now.

Because of nostalgia. It came along at a perfect time when most of us were probably at our peak of loving wrestling, and it was far better than the PlayStation 1 wrestling games. It's not better than most of the PS2 ones or any of the current gen, but by the time those games came out, wrestling itself wasn't as fun. No Mercy is an awkward slog to play now. If nostalgia was taken out of the equation, nobody would rate it the best anymore. I have got a hankering to have a go on it and make a Justin Gabriel CAW though. The limited creation tools make it difficult to do most wrestlers now, but I think Gabriel and Heath Slater could be done quite well on there.

N64 is the best console in my eyes. Two words, No Mercy! How can a game that was made 11 years ago still be better than gash wrestling games out now. To quote Bernard Manning " it's a fucking disgrace ".

No Mercy is still fucking amazing! Every time a new wrestling game comes out my friends and I always hope that it'll be an updated version of No Mercy, but it never is.

Updated in what sense? Just the same game with a modern roster, or with new graphics on the same (horribly dated) engine? I remember there being lots of talk that it'd be on Wii Virtual Console at one point and people were hoping the characters would be updated.

Updated in what sense? Just the same game with a modern roster, or with new graphics on the same (horribly dated) engine? I remember there being lots of talk that it'd be on Wii Virtual Console at one point and people were hoping the characters would be updated.

Essentially what I'd like to see would be an update of the No Mercy game engine. The controls in No Mercy were pretty much perfect so I'd like to see a more modern looking game, an expanded CAW, more arenas and more matches. There's not really much you can do other than modernise it a little.

Archived