Colt Cabana wins NWA world championship

rayneisatwat

So Colt Cabana won the NWA heavyweight title at the recent NWA Hollywood Tapings, being the 82nd guy to hold it since the belt came about in 1948 and puts him in league (in one sense) with guys like Harley Race, Ric Flair and Lou Thesz. You guys think that the NWA is making a bid to come back into the mainstream with that switch?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. I've watched a couple of episodes of NWA Hollywood, and they have a solid product there. It's a good format, and they've clearly been making Colt Cabana one of the figureheads of the show. I'm not sure when this particular episode will air, but I can guarantee I'll be watching it. It's a smart move by NWA Hollywood too...they've got a TV deal for that local area, but they upload the shows to their website as well so people can watch them from elsewhere in the country/world.

In my opinion, he gets a bit of stick for his comedy wrestling, which is fair when it's overdone, but he can be a damn good wrestler as well. Hopefully, Colt having the NWA Title will give him a push towards concentrating on the serious wrestling a little bit more and moving away from the comedy. I can't see them breaking back into the mainstream with something like this, but it's good to see the NWA still being active and having shows and television to give the name some value.

NWA is basically the 'safety net' for most wwe and tna releases, lately, mosty guys from wwe released have gone on to become a champion in the NWA. sadly the NWA is a shell of its former self, and what with whats currently out there (WWE, TNA, ROH) they'd have to put on something remarkable every week if they want to get back as a major wrestling company

anyway, happy for Colt, well done!

• Paid Members
NWA is basically the 'safety net' for most wwe and tna releases, lately, mosty guys from wwe released have gone on to become a champion in the NWA. sadly the NWA is a shell of its former self, and what with whats currently out there (WWE, TNA, ROH) they'd have to put on something remarkable every week if they want to get back as a major wrestling company

Is NWA Hollywood the strain that's ran by some former booker that harks back to the colourful days of 80s WWF? Or is that another promotion I'm thinking of?

Is NWA Hollywood the strain that's ran by some former booker that harks back to the colourful days of 80s WWF? Or is that another promotion I'm thinking of?

I believe it is currently being booked by Joey Ryan, who would have taken over from Adam Pearce

• Paid Members
So Colt Cabana won the NWA heavyweight title at the recent NWA Hollywood Tapings, being the 82nd guy to hold it since the belt came about in 1948 and puts him in league (in one sense) with guys like Harley Race, Ric Flair and Lou Thesz. You guys think that the NWA is making a bid to come back into the mainstream with that switch?

If I'm honest, I don't think so. Cabana's entertaining to a certain degree (can't say I'm a particularly big fan, but he's OK), but he's not very high-profile in the grand scheme of things. Looking at their roster, I'd say if they want to get back into the mainstream, they should be trying to pick up someone like Carlito, who's been on WWE TV comparatively recently and on a regular basis, who's known to be relatively good in the ring (when motivated) and decent on the mike, and who would therefore be more recognisable and likely to pick up fans for them. Barely anyone remembers Scotty Goldman who didn't know he was Cabana already, so I don't see them drawing new interest because of it.

Had a look at that roster - outside of Syxx-Pac and Percy Pringle III, not impressed.

• Paid Members

I think in relevence the NWA is very much the same as it always has been, a territory system. As Wrestling has evolved, the NWA has stayed the same. They have TV coverage from NWA wrestling from Hollywood, now.

The NWA isnt as popular as once was, but i would accredit that more to other programs turning to TV and PPV in the 70/80's/early 90s. For me its title has always been very important in the world of wrestling, and the NWA is very big in Japan aparrently.

So yeah, to say its a shell is a bit much, but i would say its about the same, "operations" wise.

• Paid Members

I think in relevence the NWA is very much the same as it always has been, a territory system. As Wrestling has evolved, the NWA has stayed the same. They have TV coverage from NWA wrestling from Hollywood, now.

The NWA isnt as popular as once was, but i would accredit that more to other programs turning to TV and PPV in the 70/80's/early 90s. For me its title has always been very important in the world of wrestling, and the NWA is very big in Japan aparrently.

So yeah, to say its a shell is a bit much, but i would say its about the same, "operations" wise.

It's not that big in Japan. It's very much revered, and a lot of the titles are given respect, but Japan's home promotions overshadow it massively - the only viewership it gets there is when one of its titles gets defended on a Big Four show, but most of the time it's one of the indies.

As to size, I think you're severely understating the case - the NWA is nowhere near as big as it was back in the 50s. The TV coverage was extensive across the US, the crowds were vastly bigger its wrestlers were known throughout the states they wrestled in, the shows were much more regular and in several different venues (the biggest ones of which have mostly been taken by WWE and TNA now), and the pay was blatantly much better.

• Paid Members

It's not that big in Japan. It's very much revered, and a lot of the titles are given respect, but Japan's home promotions overshadow it massively - the only viewership it gets there is when one of its titles gets defended on a Big Four show, but most of the time it's one of the indies.

As to size, I think you're severely understating the case - the NWA is nowhere near as big as it was back in the 50s. The TV coverage was extensive across the US, the crowds were vastly bigger its wrestlers were known throughout the states they wrestled in, the shows were much more regular and in several different venues (the biggest ones of which have mostly been taken by WWE and TNA now), and the pay was blatantly much better.

Oh, sorry , i meant generally in an "operation" side of things, as it they still operate in the same way. They did have TV coverage, although most of that was through the actual promotions itself (Crockett promotions etc). I meant that it still runs as a governing body, which it always has done. They aren't as popular as they once were, again i would put that down to other companies rising up to TV/PPV over the years, although most big companies, (including WWE/ECW/WCW/AWA/TNA) where all members of the NWA at one point, and if any of them still where (TNA being more relevent) they would be more inthe public eye i suppose.

And your very much correct, the titles are respected in japan (which is what i was getting at), although the Main promotions titles are more important. I think New Japan is a member of the NWA also, or at least re-joined recently.

Either way, i still personally think the title is very respectable. Others dont even see it as a true world title anymore, which is sad.

• Paid Members

I don't think, via NWA Hollywood specifically, that the NWA is trying to get back its glory days. It seems to know that it is a small promotion that offers an 'old school' alternative for wrestling fans and as such having champions like Adam Pearce and Colt Cabana pretty much fits in with that.

It's good fun, I've watched their show a couple of times and have really enjoyed it. The roster might be full of unknowns but they put on a good show. I quite like Colt Cabana too so good on him.

Archived