Colt Cabana wins NWA world championship

rayneisatwat

It's been meaningless for nearly a decade now, including (as crazy it might sound today) when the UFC Champion was wearing it in the Octagon.

Nearly a decade? It hasnt meant much for about 20 years now. At least when it was in TNA, it was held by some name players like Christian and Sting and it was defended on PPV.

Jeez, I'm getting old. The "decade" I was alluding to was counting back to 1992 when WCW and NJPW were doing their thing.

Correction: It's been meaningless for nearly two decades now, including (as crazy it might sound today) when the UFC Champion was wearing it in the Octagon.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Khemical has it bob on for me.

Winning the NWA World title is a little like shagging Courtney Love. On its own merits in 2011 it's not much of an achievement, but you'd jump at the chance because of who got to do it before you, and likely have a few mates quietly think "you jammy BASTARD."

• Paid Members

Winning the NWA World title is a little like shagging Courtney Love. On its own merits in 2011 it's not much of an achievement, but you'd jump at the chance because of who got to do it before you, and likely have a few mates quietly think "you jammy BASTARD."

And then it kills you and makes it look like suicide.

• Paid Members

And then it kills you and makes it look like suicide.

Just don't go in with a shotgun...?

• Paid Members

Decided to see what the fuss was about, and was downloading episode 10 (which seems to be the earliest available) off PWT. Started off taking bloody ages - now it's got no seeders left. Had to start from the beginning. All available episodes only have one seeder.

• Paid Members

That's cool, although I mainly wanted to download so I could put it on my phone and watch it while I'm on the train/bus - don't really have much time to spend at home ATM, and I've just got so much programming to watch right now.

EDIT: Sorry, bad manners - thanks for the info/link.

• Paid Members

Just watched an episode on the site. Not entirely sure what I think of it. I think the most accurate way to put it is "decent main event/upper midcard, dire undercard". Saw an opener between two awful blandsters, which would've been alright in that it was purely a vehicle for a "monster" (guy called Jason Watts who isn't all that big) to come out and destroy them - except that Watts was rather crap. Joey Ryan, whom he was after, has an idea about character, but the whole "Hollywood franchise star" gimmick's been done before, and a whole lot better. The match they had wasn't very good, and neither guy really seemed like they meant it.

Adam Pearce, however, is clearly a level above. Didn't get to see him wrestle this time, although when I saw him wrestle a few years back, he seemed like a guy who'd just decided to go "old-school" and over-play the gimmick to the point where he looked like a guy trying to be an old-school wrestler, rather than an actual old-school wrestler. His promos are something else, though; clearly comfortable on the mike, resembles Stone Cold in his delivery and look (which is no bad thing at all because he makes it his own rather than coming across as an imitation), and great projection (shame he was let down by shoddy sound and editing - he was talking into the ringcam for half his promo, and the entire time we got the hardcam view, which made it look really amateurish).

His "Standard" stable mates, are a mixed bag. That "Pretty" Peter Avalon is the epitome of a skinny indy kid with a good idea of a gimmick - he looks like the UK's Joey Hayes before Joey got bulked up, tanned up, and just overall learned to work. Joey Kaos, however, looks great - good gimmick, great look, natural physical charisma and seems pretty solid in the ring - needs more work, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing where his career goes, or at least how he does in NWA.

Willie Mack - shouldn't work, but does. Got that whole "bumbling, big-hearted fatso" thing going on for him, and he's clearly over with the crowd. Makes it work for him, but it's clear he needs to be up against over heels, which is why it's good he's working with Pearce's lot, I suppose.

That Nick Madrid guy is clearly an example of an indy kid who's impressed people with his technical ability, has a bit of an underdog look about him, and so has been pushed as a result. He's alright, but nothing particularly great, and needs something more. In fact, I'd say that, if Willie Mack is going to be one of their top faces, they need more than just Madrid or Joey Ryan, they need at least one guy who's as impressive and charismatic as Pearce is.

Overall, not bad - editing needs to improve, wrestlers aren't great outside the obvious exceptions, but it's an enjoyable show, and I'd certainly continue watching if I've got time and have watched all the TNA and WWE I wish to for the week.

Well I never knew of this 'hollywood' strain, now that it's been brought to my attention, il be sure to check it out. Can anyone copy and paste their roster page on here please?

You'll have to check it out here.

Huh. I had wondered what Sean Waltman was doing for crack money these days!

True but the Belt is basically meaningless nowadays

It's the history and prestige behind it though. Sure if I told my 16 year old brother who's only ever had a passing interest in wrestling at best, I'd won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, his response would be, "So?" rather than, "OMG! You mean the same belt held by guys like Ric Flair, Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes, and was used in TNA a few years ago?!" But to a wrestler or wrestling fan like you or I, it's a symbol of respect and industry achievement to be given the same accolade as the aforementioned guys from yesteryear.

Brilliantly put mate.

As for

• Paid Members

Wish they'd change up that belt design though. I know it's well-loved, but it's really boring and hasn't changed at all in its history. Compare it to the Big Gold or some of the Japanese belts, and it really does pale in comparison. Hell, it doesn't even match the famous IC title belt we all know, and it's supposed to be a higher tier. It doesn't help that, no matter who's got it, they carry it as if they would a folder or file - it doesn't look heavy at all.

• Paid Members

I cant see them ever doing that. The belt design is the only appeal of the belt. Its basically got about as much worth at the time Gillberg won the Light Heavyweight belt. The only reason its such a newsworthy bit of tin is because it looks like the same belt Harley Race and Ric Flair won. And its pretty pointless comparing it to the Japanese belts, because the NWA means nothing anymore. The NWA isn't going to be doing anything big anytime soon, so whats the use in spending money on a new NWA belt after its had the same design for so long. If they were ever going to change the design, they'd have done it when they were renting it to TNA.

• Paid Members
I cant see them ever doing that. The belt design is the only appeal of the belt. Its basically got about as much worth at the time Gillberg won the Light Heavyweight belt. The only reason its such a newsworthy bit of tin is because it looks like the same belt Harley Race and Ric Flair won. And its pretty pointless comparing it to the Japanese belts, because the NWA means nothing anymore. The NWA isn't going to be doing anything big anytime soon, so whats the use in spending money on a new NWA belt after its had the same design for so long. If they were ever going to change the design, they'd have done it when they were renting it to TNA.

I was only comparing it to the Japanese belts insofar as design, not lineage or history, as that's a whole different kettle of fish, for sure. I just think they could make it look more like a belt worth winning, especially in an era when memory of its worth has faded - the NWA (such as it is) should be taking a leaf out of WWE's book and going for a "perception is reality" type deal, I think. Mind you, those Hollywood shows would have to start doing a bit better before they could afford a new belt.

Archived