Colt Cabana wins NWA world championship

rayneisatwat

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWA Hollywood is great. They have a different throwback product that stands out and works. Lots of great talent there and for them to have TV in their area and put out a show online that's got a decent following is all the better for wrestling. I highly doubt they plan to take over the US but fuck, it's a nice alternative and it's great to see a promotion have their own style and know what they want.

Can't say much for the worth of the NWA Belt as it's rather irrelevant these days, I mean it's "something" but it's not got much worth. I personally wouldn't keep it on Colt but there are people who are going to be interested in what he does.

• Paid Members
NWA Hollywood is great. They have a different throwback product that stands out and works. Lots of great talent there and for them to have TV in their area and put out a show online that's got a decent following is all the better for wrestling. I highly doubt they plan to take over the US but fuck, it's a nice alternative and it's great to see a promotion have their own style and know what they want.

Can't say much for the worth of the NWA Belt as it's rather irrelevant these days, I mean it's "something" but it's not got much worth. I personally wouldn't keep it on Colt but there are people who are going to be interested in what he does.

If they are planning on having the NWA title become a large part of the NWA Hollywood show, which they should, then Cabana is ideal. His wrestling has always been based around a 'retro' style and so he fits the show perfectly, as did Adam Pearce, who is great by the way.

• Paid Members
Is Colt even old enough to of watched Flair in his NWA days i no he was a ECW guy growing up and his favourite wrestler was New Jack lol

I'm sure if Colt were an ECW fan growing up he would be familiar with the NWA. Hell, ECW was a part of the NWA at one point.

Even if he may not have say watched Flair win the NWA title in the 80s, I'm sure he still "got" how big a deal it was and the level of wrestler Ric Flair was.

I do and I was born in 1989. I never saw Flair win his NWA titles, but would feel more than honoured if I arrived at an arena for a match and told I was going to be going over for the belt that night.

• Paid Members
True but the Belt is basically meaningless nowadays

It's the history and prestige behind it though. Sure if I told my 16 year old brother who's only ever had a passing interest in wrestling at best, I'd won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, his response would be, "So?" rather than, "OMG! You mean the same belt held by guys like Ric Flair, Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes, and was used in TNA a few years ago?!" But to a wrestler or wrestling fan like you or I, it's a symbol of respect and industry achievement to be given the same accolade as the aforementioned guys from yesteryear.

• Paid Members
True but the Belt is basically meaningless nowadays

It's the history and prestige behind it though. Sure if I told my 16 year old brother who's only ever had a passing interest in wrestling at best, I'd won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, his response would be, "So?" rather than, "OMG! You mean the same belt held by guys like Ric Flair, Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes, and was used in TNA a few years ago?!" But to a wrestler or wrestling fan like you or I, it's a symbol of respect and industry achievement to be given the same accolade as the aforementioned guys from yesteryear.

This!

Alot of people always say "And?", when sombody wins hte NWA title, but i know alot of fans (much like myself) and many wrestlers who work the independants (mainly in the US/japan) think very highley of the NWA title, as its always been a belt where if you put in the time and dedication......you become champion. May not be very relevent, but i would be so honored to even be in the same room as the belt!

For me personally it comes down to its history, and the fact its the longest running world title ever. It was unified with the first ever world championship (back in the late 40's IRC), and has been on going ever since.

I know its not "popular" but for me its all about the History, Tradition and Respect. (Funniely enough that is the NWA catchphrase).

• Paid Members
It's been meaningless for nearly a decade now, including (as crazy it might sound today) when the UFC Champion was wearing it in the Octagon.

Nearly a decade? It hasnt meant much for about 20 years now. At least when it was in TNA, it was held by some name players like Christian and Sting and it was defended on PPV.

Archived