Vickie Guerrero as a babyface - could it work?

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

Vickie Guerrero, currently "fired", has been one of the most over heels in the WWE of the past decade, if not THE most over heel.

She's really made a name of her own - no longer is she "Eddie Guerrero's wife", she's completely moved on in a storyline sense from being that to completely justify her place on the roster. She'll absolutely join her late husband in the Hall of Fame one day, I've no doubt about that.

Anyway, she's an insanely over heel, and my question is could a babyface Vickie Guerrero work? If so, how could they turn her?

I believe she probably could make a decent babyface, but I'm not sure how they'd turn her. If she sided with a babyface THEY'D probably turn heel, and if a heel turned on her, no matter how unjustified I think they'd turn face - they'd probably be able to turn the tide over the period of a few weeks though.

But heck, she's too fun as a heel. Would you really want to dispose of THAT level of heel heat to change her allignment?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I remember thinking WWE were flirting with the idea of turning her face a few years ago. Around the time Edge was caught cheating on her with Alicia Fox, and she reinstated The Undertaker, then made a Hell in a Cell match for Edge at Summerslam. Then in the following weeks, I think they were trying to garner sympathy for her by having Edge spear a wheelchair bound woman, but the fans didnt really take to it.

I think your right in the sense that if a face helped her, it would turn them heel, and if a heel turned on her, it would turn them face. While she is much better than Stephanie McMahon, Steph had a bit of that about her too. They managed to turn her face by taking her off TV for about 6-8 months, and when she came back, she dressed and wore her hair different (she was "All Grown Up Now"), she lost the shrill, brain piercing voice and for the first while, didnt do anything heelish, but never really didnt anything considered a face thing to do either, she pretty much just came back, and acted fair, balanced and down the middle. The fans slowly accepted her no longer being someone to hate, and she became a face.

They could follow a similar path with Vickie, but I do think it would mean taking her off TV for an extended period - which they have done before. She would need to just have an overhaul on her appearance, lose the "Excuse Me" catchphrase, speak in a more professional/business meeting like voice, and not align herself with anyone from the off.

So yeah, I think in answer to your question would "Yes, it probably could work", but the main question would be "Why would you want to turn her face?" What would the point be? There is already a face authority figure on Smackdown, and anyone who aligns with her gets instant heat.

It would be ace hearing her screaming "Excuse Me" at the heel, before putting them in that night's main event match against Established Babyface.

I'd love to see a face Vickie versus heel Cole series, or at least a segment. "Can I have your attention please..." "EXCUSE ME, Michael Cole. EXCUSE ME".

• Paid Members

Why would you want her as a babyface? She's not a ticket seller, she's not an integral part of the show and she's not the least bit supportable in a pro-wrestling sense. Sure, she got over like rover as a heel and thus is a fun part of the show for the live audience. She's still a tubby, irritating cow who has knack all effect on their business.

She's fine in her role as a bit-part heel. Her recent stuff with Dolph Ziggler shows that depite the crowd's love of booing the shit out of her, that doesn't translate to getting anyone else over.

Why would you want her as a babyface? She's not a ticket seller, she's not an integral part of the show and she's not the least bit supportable in a pro-wrestling sense. Sure, she got over like rover as a heel and thus is a fun part of the show for the live audience. She's still a tubby, irritating cow who has knack all effect on their business.

She's fine in her role as a bit-part heel. Her recent stuff with Dolph Ziggler shows that depite the crowd's love of booing the shit out of her, that doesn't translate to getting anyone else over.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Vickie Guererro to a tee. The hostile crowd reactions she gets are at least as much to do with the fact she's fat and has a Picasso-esque face (a big no-no to wrestling fans) with an irritating voice, as any tangible performing talent she has. I nearly keeled over when somebody compared her favourably to The Rock the other week on here. As much as people might praise her on forums like this, she'll never make a penny for the company because nobody will ever buy a PPV or ticket to a live event to see Vickie Guerrero, and nobody will ever buy a Vickie Guerrero t-shirt or calendar. Even peripheral female performers from the past like Dawn Marie probably sold the odd Divas wank mag, which is more revenue than they'll ever make from Vickie. It would be a different story if she was a classic Heenan/Jimmy Hart-esque manager who could use her heat to get their proteges over, but as Rick says, she isn't.

She wouldn't get over as a face for the same reasons Stephanie McMahon (who had comparable levels of heel heat in her heyday, and comparable talent as a performer) never got over as a face. She's not a naturally sympathetic character or performer (immediately after Eddy's death it may have been a different story, but it's too late to invoke that), and WWE crowds in general aren't that sympathetic to women who aren't fit. Linda McMahon came out acting super nice and stacking the odds in favour of the faces for 4-5 years, but people still groaned when she appeared on screen and popped when she got tombstoned or stunnered.

She wouldn't get over as a face for the same reasons Stephanie McMahon (who had comparable levels of heel heat in her heyday, and comparable talent as a performer) never got over as a face. She's not a naturally sympathetic character or performer (immediately after Eddy's death it may have been a different story, but it's too late to invoke that), and WWE crowds in general aren't that sympathetic to women who aren't fit. Linda McMahon came out acting super nice and stacking the odds in favour of the faces for 4-5 years, but people still groaned when she appeared on screen and popped when she got tombstoned or stunnered.

This is the only part of your post that I'd slightly disagree with. The big problem with Linda McMahon was that she was so boring and lifeless in front of the camera. People popped when she got hit because she was dull and piss poor at delivering any kind of promo, I always felt out of all the McMahon family she was by far the very worst.

By contrast, Vickie does manage to fill that non-wrestler role really well and you can't argue with the improvements she's made and the hard work she has put in. However I think she fits in the category of characters who just won't work as well in the different alignment, she just wouldn't.

Vickie is the most overrated character in wrestling by a long shot in my opinion. Yes she gets uber heat, but I've just always assumed it's because she's so bad. She can't really cut a promo, she just screeches down the mic and talks a load of nonsense that's hardly even understandable. The fact people are even putting her close to the title of best heel in the business is laughable, and the idea of her in the Hall of Fame is just beyond.

I'd still give her one, though.

The hostile crowd reactions she gets are at least as much to do with the fact she's fat and has a Picasso-esque face (a big no-no to wrestling fans) with an irritating voice

I'm pretty sure that the reason some wrestling fans on the internet are hostile towards and dismissive of her abilities is because of that same thing. Except for Cleetus, who hates her because of her surname. Vickie's brilliant, one of the few genuine "love to hate" characters in a live setting in wrestling today.

• Paid Members

No. Her sole useful purpose is that she gets booed, and that she will always get booed for as long as they decide to use her. Why would they undo all their hard work?, it still baffles me why, but in 2006 they spent all year building up her dead husband so she could turn on his memory and become the most over heel on the roster (that's still fucking ridiculous, even just typing it out), they created a lifetime heel, to attempt a face turn would be stupid, although given WWE's incredibly creepy fixation with pushing the Guerrero name post-2005 I wouldn't rule it out.

I'd honestly love to see her in the HOF though, only to see if even the WWE's incredible video package guys could make it seem a worthy induction, if they could pull it off they'd deserve an induction of their own.

• Paid Members
although given WWE's incredibly creepy fixation with pushing the Guerrero name post-2005 I wouldn't rule it out.

They mention Eddie (for reasons other than simple fact) about twice a year. They push the "Guerrero" name in the form of Vicky and Chavo because it's their name. Are you stuck in 2006?

• Paid Members
although given WWE's incredibly creepy fixation with pushing the Guerrero name post-2005 I wouldn't rule it out.

They mention Eddie (for reasons other than simple fact) about twice a year. They push the "Guerrero" name in the form of Vicky and Chavo because it's their name. Are you stuck in 2006?

Come on, Rick. His name comes up far more often than that. Shit, it was just at the RR when we got the 100000th "tribute to Eddie" spot in the ring, you don't think it's weird how he makes it onto nearly every dvd WWE release?, did you not think his placing above HHH, Hogan, Flair, Cena and countless others on the "Greatest Stars Of All Time" was a bit off?, especially because when they done the magazine of the same name before his death he didn't even make the 50?. And no, it's not 2006 anymore, but it certainly adds to my point when my exact words where I'm talking about the name "post-2005".

You don't think the entire situation's a bit creepy?.

Edit. My spelling is really letting me down lately.

• Paid Members

She needs to stay as a heel, in reality, why mess with something that works? I persoanlly hate her character soo much, at first it just annoyed me, then it became cringe worthy and then i realised, "this is actually what its meant to be".. its been sooooo long since WWE produced a character that i hated so much, i didnt realise the difference between heat and 'turn channel over' heat... she has got it spot on.

Personally, im waiting for the day Vinny Mac and Vicky have an on screen relationship, i think she is 'still' the future in terms of aweful management, Cole is getting there, but nowhere near her standard, and as a modern day version, she is the closest thing you will get to a vinny mac character.

I think Vicky and Vinny would be a great and horrid angle.

I think she could work as a face.

If, for instance, her daughter got a damn good kicking from, say, LayCool I could see people getting behind her.

Plus, she'd need to revert back to being 'Eddie's widow' and play 'loving mum' but, yeah, I reckon if booked right it could work.

I mean, no-one thought heel Vickie [or indeed just Vickie as an on-screen character] would work but we were all proved wrong on that one.

Archived