Vickie Guerrero as a babyface - could it work?

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members
I think she could work as a face.

If, for instance, her daughter got a damn good kicking from, say, LayCool I could see people getting behind her.

Plus, she'd need to revert back to being 'Eddie's widow' and play 'loving mum' but, yeah, I reckon if booked right it could work.

I mean, no-one thought heel Vickie [or indeed just Vickie as an on-screen character] would work but we were all proved wrong on that one.

The reason the heel thing works in my opinion (apart from her very good ability to talk)... is that she has somewhat of a rotten face, its a bit urrrgh, emaning its easy to dislike, she acts like the fat, ugly, spoiled attention seeking brat you might get at school.

The WWE is full of models and handsom young people, the smarmy, arsehole, good lookers are 10 to the dozen.. there just isnt many face aches anymore, she fits in to that catagory and is bloody brilliant at it.

Not to mention she has the voice of a twaty fuck fart.

Shes got it all!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If, for instance, her daughter got a damn good kicking from, say, LayCool I could see people getting behind her.

Plus, she'd need to revert back to being 'Eddie's widow' and play 'loving mum' but, yeah, I reckon if booked right it could work.

I mean, no-one thought heel Vickie [or indeed just Vickie as an on-screen character] would work but we were all proved wrong on that one.

What would be the point though? I hate to keep coming back to a business POV, but it's relevant here. Usually you turn a wrestler face because they're starting to get cheered and you think they'll sell more merchandise or tickets if they start going against the bad guys. But Vickie as a face isn't going to make the WWE a penny more than the 0 pounds and 0 pence she already makes them. Plus she's fat and immobile, so angles involving her as a face would have to end in either a terrible mess of a wrestling match, or her getting somebody else in to fight her battles, which isn't a particularly babyface thing to do.

I'm going to have to accept my opinion is different from a lot of the forum here, but I don't find her entertaining in the slightest. Her delivery is decent enough, but I just can't see the enjoyment as a wrestling fan in watching a fat woman screeching at people. She's like a Little Britain character, and I never liked that either.

What would be the point though?

I agree, there's little point turning her face when she is still getting HUGE heel reactions and is superb in her role, just that, if they felt that way inclined, I think it could work.

• Paid Members

I've never got the Vickie Guerrero thing. Every time she comes on I hit fast forward. I don't hate her, I just hate watching/listening to her. It's annoying too

because I'm sure I've missed some stuff that I would have enjoyed if she hadn't been there.

She's off tv now, and while I hope she is looked after by WWE, I never want to see her on my screen again.

• Paid Members

I think she's one of the best heels I've ever seen. When she laughs in the face of the blue-eye when he realises he has to restrain himself, I really want to see one of them just snap and smack her one, she's that hateful.

I agree with CVD that she should be a heel for life - if and when her daughter debuts, they should stick Vickie with her to get her over as a heel, and then turn her against her to get her over as a face.

• Paid Members

Possibly the first thread I ever reply to without reading the other responses first.

NO.

Because of (I assume) the reasons listed above.

Next!

To answer the question: yes she could.

However: i. no she shouldn't; ii. why they'd ever want to I have no idea.

I've never got the Vickie Guerrero thing. Every time she comes on I hit fast forward.

That might be why.

Turning Vickie Guerrero face would be on a comparable level to the people of Germany voting in an Austrian leader of a far-right party in their next election. Not only would it not make any sense, it would also be a completely stupid, backwards and non-understandable thing to do

• Paid Members
although given WWE's incredibly creepy fixation with pushing the Guerrero name post-2005 I wouldn't rule it out.

They mention Eddie (for reasons other than simple fact) about twice a year. They push the "Guerrero" name in the form of Vicky and Chavo because it's their name. Are you stuck in 2006?

Come on, Rick. His name comes up far more often than that. Shit, it was just at the RR when we got the 100000th "tribute to Eddie" spot in the ring, you don't think it's weird how he makes it onto nearly every dvd WWE release?, did you not think his placing above HHH, Hogan, Flair, Cena and countless others on the "Greatest Stars Of All Time" was a bit off?, especially because when they done the magazine of the same name before his death he didn't even make the 50?. And no, it's not 2006 anymore, but it certainly adds to my point when my exact words where I'm talking about the name "post-2005".

You don't think the entire situation's a bit creepy?.

Edit. My spelling is really letting me down lately.

He was one of WWE's most popular stars, of course he's going to get mentioned in DVDs and on TV if his family are on the show. Also, it's been made no secret about how highly regarded he was by his peers especially guys like Batista and Mysterio. As for tribute to Eddie spots, wrestlers give shout outs to their passed on brethrin all the time. It's hardly "Creepy" as you call it. And that Rumble spot from Chavo was class by the way.

I think the criticism about his name being mentioned between 05/06 (Which is what I assume you meant by post 05, because after 06 he's been mentioned only about twice a year as Rick said) is highly unfair. He was a main eventer upon his passing and naturally he's going to be talked about by a lot of people. Plus he was inducted into the Hall of Fame (Fully deserved, if sadly too soon) so again there's going to be plenty of talk about him. I'll admit sometimes it was a little hokey and embarrassing (i.e the Smackdown Special they did and parts of Rey's title reign), but I think you're overblowing it a bit in the grand scheme of things.

And using top 50 lists? Really? Since when was shit like that ever relevant? Top 50 lists are notorious for being pretty wide off the mark, for better or worse.

• Paid Members
Turning Vickie Guerrero face would be on a comparable level to the people of Germany voting in an Austrian leader of a far-right party in their next election. Not only would it not make any sense, it would also be a completely stupid, backwards and non-understandable thing to do

That's not the question though - it's "could it work" and "how could it be done"?

Bad idea? Yes. Does that mean it wouldn't work? Not necessarily.

• Paid Members
although given WWE's incredibly creepy fixation with pushing the Guerrero name post-2005 I wouldn't rule it out.

They mention Eddie (for reasons other than simple fact) about twice a year. They push the "Guerrero" name in the form of Vicky and Chavo because it's their name. Are you stuck in 2006?

Come on, Rick. His name comes up far more often than that. Shit, it was just at the RR when we got the 100000th "tribute to Eddie" spot in the ring, you don't think it's weird how he makes it onto nearly every dvd WWE release?, did you not think his placing above HHH, Hogan, Flair, Cena and countless others on the "Greatest Stars Of All Time" was a bit off?, especially because when they done the magazine of the same name before his death he didn't even make the 50?. And no, it's not 2006 anymore, but it certainly adds to my point when my exact words where I'm talking about the name "post-2005".

I think the criticism about his name being mentioned between 05/06 is highly unfair.

Well I think it's perfectly fair to not want to see a dead guy be the main focus of the show*, and that's where the creepiness comes from. You don't think it's a weird situation?.

*No Undertaker jokes please.

That's not the question though - it's "could it work" and "how could it be done"?

Bad idea? Yes. Does that mean it wouldn't work? Not necessarily.

As has already been stated, it looked like they were teasing it when she got shat on by Edge (not literally obviously) and bought back The Undertaker to punish him. Unfortunately, by that point she had become so good at being a heel and had genuine hatred that no matter how much sympathy they tried to garner for her, it was never ever going to be enough to turn her face.

Even an attack by a totally over heel like Alberto Del Rio would probably lead to him getting cheered. She has just been rammed down peoples throats so much in the last three-four years as an ugly person who takes great pleasure fucking with crowd favourites that's she has probably passed the point of return. And if they somehow did manage to turn her face, I imagine it would just result in total indifference in terms of a reaction

I just think it's a bad idea and even though the WWE have come up with some horrendous examples of those down the years, this one just wouldn't ever get going - much like the said government in Germany

• Moderators

I think the criticism about his name being mentioned between 05/06 is highly unfair.

Well I think it's perfectly fair to not want to see a dead guy be the main focus of the show*, and that's where the creepiness comes from. You don't think it's a weird situation?.

I remember how exploitative it felt to me at the time after his death, but I don't get that from the references any more. I don't know if that makes it OK, or they've just made me get used to something abhorrent though. I'm leaning towards it being because Vickie has a well defined character in her own right though, so I don't think of him when I see her.

Maybe it's none of the above and it's just because I watch a whole lot less wrestling these days. Who knows?

I understand why they've done it though.. Him and Rey were the only draws for the hispanic market.

• Paid Members

Again, I refer to my previous post about how he was a WWE main eventer and naturally his death was going to be a massive talking point and yes, a storyline motivation for Rey Mysterio. I've seen weirder in wrestling. Hokey at times, sure. Creepy? Over stretching it.

...I nearly keeled over when somebody compared her favourably to The Rock the other week on here...

That would have been me, and I still stand by what I said.

However, at the moment I can't see Vickie working as a face very well at all.

Archived