Worst TV/Film Remakes

DannRead

Okay so what's your worst TV or Film re-make? This can be anything from a network bringing back an old program and giving it a make over such how different Thomas The Tank Engine is now it's all CGI'd and American'd up or Postman Pat: Special Delivery Service (!) to movie remakes of things like Psycho, Nightmare on Elm Street or programs that were turned from tv into movies (and vice versa) such as Miami Vice, The Brady Bunch etc.

My choice:

Married For Life (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149488/)

Here is a clip:

*EDIT* here is the intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIT7gWp49w...feature=related

Lasting all of 7 episodes (still trying to find the ratings) Married For Life was ITV's remake of Married With Children but with Russ Abbot as Ted Butler (as oppose to Al Bundy etc). They literally tried to copy EVERYTHING (even the famed Married With Children intro) not taking into account the differences between American's and Britain's.

Just a truly awful remake.

So, what's yours?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The American remake of the IT Crowd just didnt work

Neither did Spaced

There was also an American remake of The Young Ones which I dont think has ever surface. There just seems to be a problem with translating a British sense of humour over to American Audiences, The Office being one of the only success' I can think of.

Films wise there has been so many poor remakes in the last 5 years I've lost count: Last House on the left, I spit on your grave (which was a terrible film to begin with), Sleuth, The Wickerman (cue someone posting the Bees clip) Theres a remake of Straw Dogs set to come out soon as well

Edit: I rest my case :p

The American remake of the IT Crowd just didnt work

Neither did Spaced

There was also an American remake of The Young Ones which I dont think has ever surface. There just seems to be a problem with translating a British sense of humour over to American Audiences, The Office being one of the only success' I can think of.

Films wise there has been so many poor remakes in the last 5 years I've lost count: Last House on the left, I spit on your grave (which was a terrible film to begin with), Sleuth, The Wickerman (cue someone posting the Bees clip) Theres a remake of Straw Dogs set to come out soon as well

Edit: I rest my case :p

Never knew of the American Spaced. Wow.

I think the problem is if a show is American we accept them as being Americans with American behaviour and I presume it's the same for the Americans watching a British show too. So when you try to incorporate American humour / scenarios into a British show and vice versa it's rarely going to work because our personalities / lifestyles etc are so different.

• Moderators

To be fair to the bees clip, as hilariously awful as it is, that was an alternate ending that didn't get used. It would have probably looked a lot better if they had done all fancy CGI bees and shit.

One of the most intriguing TV remakes I've seen was the US version of Fawlty Towers. It was fuckin awful and unfunny as shit.. but what was so bizarre about it was that the set was exactly the same as the UK version, but mirrors. They just flipped everything. Check it out!

• Paid Members
To be fair to the bees clip, as hilariously awful as it is, that was an alternate ending that didn't get used. It would have probably looked a lot better if they had done all fancy CGI bees and shit.

The version of the film that was shown on Sky Movies contained the Bees scene.

• Paid Members
One of the most intriguing TV remakes I've seen was the US version of Fawlty Towers. It was fuckin awful and unfunny as shit.. but what was so bizarre about it was that the set was exactly the same as the UK version, but mirrors. They just flipped everything. Check it out!

Yet surprisingly John Larroquette still manages to be absolutely brilliant. Just a shame about everything else.

Shocked that neither remakes of Coupling or Red Dwarf from the State's have shown up here.

But the biggest atrocity for me has to be the movie of Hitchiker's Guide. Somehow removing everything that was good about it to begin with, and replacing it with remade shit (Ford rushing up with a trolley of beer, really?). The only time I enjoyed the movie was seeing the original Marvin in a queue.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Hitchhikers...I really did. I must be the only cunt who did, by the sounds of things, coz anyone anywhere else seems to be in spite of it.

The Red Dwarf US remake was even worse than it's Fawlty Towers counterpart. The whole 'Wilma Flinstone' conversation with American accents still haunts me today.

The new Yogi Bear movie is just cruel. My 9 year old wanted to leave halfway through it...

I do enjoy the US version of Shameless though...

The Gus Van Sant remake of Pyscho - why for the love of god?! I mean, Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates? Whose crappy idea was THAT? Ugh, I hated everything about that movie and I reckon Hitchcock would have been turning over in his grave. Thank goodness I still have the original on DVD.

• Paid Members

To this day I don't know what Van Sant was trying to achieve there. First of all, what exactly is the point of a shot-for-shot remake of any film? And then, having advertised it as such, why would you make it so it's nothing of the sort? A complete and utter waste of time, but the saddest thing is that it had a great cast that could have been used for a film that might have had a chance of being good. Wasting the likes of Viggo Mortensen, Anne Heche, Robert Forster, Philip Baker Hall, James Remar, William H Macy and others is a crime.

I can't stand the recent remake of Reginald Perrin. Sorry, I like Martin Clunes in most things but this dross compared to the original is like comparing a weekend with a broken arm to a weekend with a woman sat on your face.

The new Minder is actually alright, if you don't watch the old one. Sadly though, my dad has ITV4 on all the time barring rugby games so I have seen the original which is still very good imo. But Shane Richie is no George Cole and never could be.

Bedazzled must be mentioned. The wonderfully funny and brilliant version written and starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore getting pushed aside for constant reruns of Brendan Fraser and Liz Hurley trying to act and failing miserably. How could one amazing film be morphed into that celluloid abortion? It's simply mind-boggling.

Archived