HHH Named The Most Overrated Wrestler Of All-time

xear

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange list but I do understand where they are coming from with some of them. Plenty that I totally disagree with as well.

Haven't read the UGO write-ups (will do tomorrow) so I may be way off on what their actual criteria (if any) is but I'm guessing it is a combination of everything and not just in-ring (promos, drawing power, impact on the business, etc.)

25. Diesel

Not sure I agree or that 'overrated' is the term I'd used but he has become something of internet favourite in recent years. If their description is anything like tiger_rick's one the other week about history not only being kind to Nash but giving him a blow job then I get where they are coming from.

24. Arn Anderson

They aren't the first to say this and won't be the last. There seems to be a few out there who see Anderson as this solid, dependable worker who was nothing more than that and benefited from his friendship with Ric Flair.

FWIW Double A is one of my favourites and I think he shone just fine when Flair wasn't on the scene (Brainbusters in WWF 1988-89, WCW 1991-92) but there does seem to be that opinion out there amongst some.

23. Alberto Del Rio

Presuming it is just on his WWE career then not really fair. The guy hasn't really been around long enough to judge that sort of thing compared to other people on the list most of whom have been/were around for years and in some cases (Gagne, Lawler and Hogan being the most obvious decades).

If it is including his lucha work then I also disagree: he wasn't exactly overhyped back then and in fact the only times it is mentioned it is in relation to how disappointing it was/how much more he's shone in WWE.

22. Jerry Lynn

That just makes me think the staff at UGO have been reading back issues of RIM and/or old UKFF threads (eight years ago when there was that massive Most Overrated Wrestler on here I still remember him being one of the more nominated/debated names along with Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Vader and Edge). FWIW Lynn would have certainly made my list a few years ago when people were comparing him to Benoit/Guerrero/Angle all the time but who are the people rating Mr. JL that highly today?

20. Verne Gagne

Again hardly the first to say it about the old fella. Gagne seems to be one of those guys who doesn't appeal to a lot of people online for whatever reason. If it is in terms of "being overrated by the promoters" rather than the smarks/marks/whatever you choose to call fans then I can certainly see the case in terms of booking himself on top.

Not saying I agree (and I'm not even sure there is enough AWA from the 60s/70s to make an accurate comparison to more recent wrestlers) but they aren't the first/won't be the last to criticise him.

21. Shelton Benjamin

16. Christopher Daniels

15. Mr. Anderson

13. Indy Geeks (Mike Quackenbush pictured)

Mostly agree. Although the last one seems more like blatant trolling than a serious nomination (again I haven't read it yet).

19. Jeff Jarrett

18. Sabu

Disagree. Both have gotten plenty of criticism over the years as well. Actually, they'd both make my list for 'underrated'.

17. Finlay

14. William Rega

Disagree but I can see where they are coming from. A few years ago when someone on here started that thread about it being hypocritical for guys like Wade Keller 'hating on' Finlay/Regal whilst praising people like Danielson/McGuiness who worked a similar style in ROH I thought it was pretty strange, then when people posted similar stuff from ROH fans in general mocking Regal again I thought it was a bit odd... But even before that I knew they both had plenty of critics on here and those were the distant days when I still occasionally had enough spare time to read other forums and it wasn't just confined to UKFF either. So it is a view I may not understand but I'm not going to sit here and pretend it doesn't exist: the fact is a lot of people (even those who you would expect to like that style) find those two "boring".

So much as I like them I think Old School Square is spot on about Finlay (and also Regal) not being to everyone's liking. Like it or hate it, the World of Sport style is an acquired taste unless you grew up on 60s/70s/80s British Wrestling.

More tomorrow or Wednesday.

To debunk a myth, Miss Elizabeth has wrestled.

Once.

In WCW.

Against CVD's favourite wrestler, Daffney.(back when she was just a goth in a black t-shirt)

It was shit.

And in two other matches, which were even more shit.

Considering Triple H was pushed as the next best thing and then the greatest thing ever for 15 years, he's still not a star as almost everybody he'd seek to be compared to is or has been. As such, he's certainly the most overhyped wrestler of all-time. Guys like Arn Anderson are overrated in the way that Denis Irwin's overrated in football; for so long, people ignored the guy and he was underrated so in his later career and in retirement, everybody raves about them.

For me, there are different types of overrated in wrestling; guys smarks rave about who can't actually work, guys who wrestlers rave about who are boring and the guys promoters over-push.

Considering Triple H was pushed as the next best thing and then the greatest thing ever for 15 years, he's still not a star as almost everybody he'd seek to be compared to is or has been. As such, he's certainly the most overhyped wrestler of all-time. Guys like Arn Anderson are overrated in the way that Denis Irwin's overrated in football; for so long, people ignored the guy and he was underrated so in his later career and in retirement, everybody raves about them.

For me, there are different types of overrated in wrestling; guys smarks rave about who can't actually work, guys who wrestlers rave about who are boring and the guys promoters over-push.

This is the reason I list him as overated

12. Randy Orton

If it is by the fans then "overrated" isn't really the right word for it considering for the longest time there were people calling him "Randy Boreton".

If it is by the promoters then who else would they push in his spot? A dull as he can be at times he clearly knows what he's doing out there and there aren't too many other talents that have broken through in the last decade that have gotten more over than him.

Actually, I think Teq's "overexposed" about Triple H fits here.

11. Gorgeous George

Is there even enough footage to judge? Personally, I like all the Gorgeous George matches I've seen in terms of both the gimmick and the matches themselves. I suppose there is more footage of him than others from that Thirties to Sixties era so if they don't like it fair enough... but considering the guy retired in 1962 and died the year after there isn't exactly an abundance of them (that I know of?) compared to the post-Sixties workers on the list. With this and Gagne, maybe they should have made two lists: a pre- and post-1970s list.

10. Scott Hall

Nah. Ian HH and fruitcorner are spot on and for the most part, Hall's remembered exactly how he deserves to be: a guy who had it all (size, look, ability, charisma) and blew his chance of becoming something bigger but still ended up with a better career than most could dream of anyway. Not sure I'd go as far as comparing him to Besty but it is along the right lines.

9. Dean Malenko

Probably true.

8. Owen Hart

At one point? Sure. Now? Not really.

Long answer: In the Nineties I thought he was a bit overrated by the people who only watched WWF.

Post-death obviously there was the whole "could have been World Champion" thing that has led to quite a few people commenting that he was overrated because of the way he died... again they are not the first to point that out (it gets pointed out on here everytime) but I'm not sure how relevant it is right now.

Anyone who died under the circumstances Owen did, especially someone who was generally regarded as a good guy, is going to get his share of sympathy but I don't think that's the whole story (if it had been Mideon in that spot I doubt people would have been coming out with the "future world champion" stuff). Its when you take that and throw in the fact he'd been regarded as a top class worker by the smart fans since the Eighties that you get people rating him as a bigger star than he arguably was. Or at least they did in the years immediately following his death.

If this list had been done ten or eleven years ago then sure. Since about 2004 I've seen more people call him "overrated" than I have those saying he should have been WWF's Attitude Era figurehead.

Short answer: See Jerry Lynn.

7. Christian

Maybe ever so slightly at times. No way is he #7 of all time though.

I do think that people who say somebody should have been a world champion fail to understand what that really entails. Could Owen Hart have carried a company? No. When WWF were doing A tours and B tours, I'm not sure he could have been the main drawing card on a B tour. However, despite the Austin piledriver incident, he was always a very good hand and the sort of guy who would never have been out of work until he decided to retire.

Then again, in a "if Wise can play for England so can I" way, if Jeff Hardy and CM Punk can win world titles, then so could Owen Hart if he was around now.

Controversial post ahead: I believe Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit should be on the list.

Guerrero for getting the Cobainesque post-mortem "aw shucks he's dead, but really he was the greatest ever" treatment. He was certainly good, but not at the level that people peg him at now he's dead. He was a good upper-card character, but no Austin/Rock/Hogan.

Benoit should be on the list for being so dreadfully overrated and boring during his career. I was completely unenthused to see him winning the championship at Wrestlemania 20, since he was such a monotone, plodding character. Granted there's not too many singing his praises openly now.

Let the ridicule commence.

Controversial post ahead: I believe Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit should be on the list.

Guerrero for getting the Cobainesque post-mortem "aw shucks he's dead, but really he was the greatest ever" treatment. He was certainly good, but not at the level that people peg him at now he's dead. He was a good upper-card character, but no Austin/Rock/Hogan.

I agree, but people were overrating him long before he died (and I say that as a fan of Eddie). I'm sure seven Observer subscribers committed suicide when JBL beat him for the WWE title.

Benoit should be on the list for being so dreadfully overrated and boring during his career. I was completely unenthused to see him winning the championship at Wrestlemania 20, since he was such a monotone, plodding character. Granted there's not too many singing his praises openly now.

Let the ridicule commence.

Bang on. I think the reason he's not on the list might be that nobody but totalmongs still praise him these days. That was one good thing to come out of the killings, it made it easy to tell the garden variety tuggers from the full spastics simply by asking the question "Should Chris Benoit be in the Hall of Fame"? His world title run was indicative of the least enjoyable period in wrestling history, for me.

I would have to say that he was the best wrestler in the WWF Between 2000 and his Quad tear. His matches Were always exciting. No I wouldnt say he was Overrated. Overpushed maybe but the talent is there. His matches Speak for themselves. I mean it depends how you define wrestling. Id say many Indie guys were overhyped because they can wrestle but cant pace or get any emotion in a match for Shit

• Paid Members
i'm surprised George Gulas didnt get on the list...

I read this and thought of Eric Kulas. He definitely belongs on the over rated list. Couldnt work, bled too often. But the IWC love his work.

• Paid Members

I agree, but people were overrating him long before he died

Nah, utter bullshit again. Eddie was seriously under-rated. He could work opposite anyone, in any type of match and it would invariably be great. He was versatile, he could work heel, face, main event match, opener, spot fest, wrestling match and he developed seriously as a promo. Incredible talent. Noone has ever compared him to Rock, Austin or Hogan. That's just fucking ludicrous.

6. Curt Hennig

If it is by the casual fans then maybe so: everyone I knew growing up loved the guy. He's the only wrestler I can think of that I can honestly say that about (even Davey Boy who came close had some "I'm not going to support him just because he's British" haters at school). A lot of people (and not just young kids) would always call him "the best wrestler" as well and that he should be beating Randy Savage/Ric Flair/Bret Hart/Yokozuna for the title (whereas in reality unbeknown to them he was the worst drawing Hogan opponent and wasn't that great on the mike) so you could say that the casual punter rated him too highly.

If it is by the smart fans then it's much more complicated: ever since I first went online he's got back and forth between people calling him "overrated" to "one of the best ever" back to being "overrated" again. It seems to change every few years to the extent it is hard to keep up with and I'm at the stage now where I only really read here so I'm probably not the best one to answer where he 'stands' now in relation to the IWC in general.

Really he is very similar to Owen in way not just because of the death but also the fact that they were both rated by the smart fans of the Eighties and was well-liked by his peers. Again like Owen I

Archived