HHH Named The Most Overrated Wrestler Of All-time

xear

• Paid Members

Curt Hennig is underrated for me, because what he's credited for by the critics is different to what his peers credit him for. Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Scott Hall, Ric Flair, 123 Kid, Brock Lesnar, Triple H and even Braden Walker(!) all credit Curt Hennig for either teaching them on and off the road (Michaels and Hall) or giving them more in their matches than the road agents wanted them to (Bret Hart says he wrestled matches in the late 80s that were planned to be a showcase for Mr.Perfect until Hennig allowed Bret to get his shit in). He was a mans man, apparently. Knew it all and shared it with some of the best wrestlers of his generation. Scott Hall credits him for teaching him everything, not just some. Real shame he died, because even though his back was in terrible shape, I bet his knowledge that he passed on would have been so useful at the moment.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Eddie was seriously under-rated.

By who?.

I think Rick's got it spot on when you look at his full post. He could work a match with anyone and to compare him to the likes of Rock, Hogan and Austin is very unfair. Personally I believe that if Eddie was around higher up the card during the period of Rock and Austin's WWE heyday he'd more than hold his own. Not eclipsing them, but maybe being around the Mankind kind of bracket in terms of being a big name, just not as massive as the other guys. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but without all the drug problems and had he had his first main event run in the late 90's/earlier 00's I think his character we remember fondly from his later years would've drawn some good money.

• Paid Members
Benoit should be on the list for being so dreadfully overrated and boring during his career. I was completely unenthused to see him winning the championship at Wrestlemania 20, since he was such a monotone, plodding character. Granted there's not too many singing his praises openly now.

Let the ridicule commence.

Bang on. I think the reason he's not on the list might be that nobody but totalmongs still praise him these days. That was one good thing to come out of the killings, it made it easy to tell the garden variety tuggers from the full spastics simply by asking the question "Should Chris Benoit be in the Hall of Fame"? His world title run was indicative of the least enjoyable period in wrestling history, for me.

A bit extreme in the other direction, I think. There's nothing "tugger" or mongish about praising his work - he was a bloody good wrestler, who had a rare ability to make his matches look like winning meant everything to him. But I personally (I won't speak for anyone else) can separate the man from the wrestler - I'd never advocate at any point his inclusion in the Hall of Fame.

I'd agree he's over-rated by the smarks, but he wasn't crap; his work is still worthy of praise. As to his World title run, well - I actually rate Triple H highly, but for me HIS multiple and incessant title runs were much worse than Benoit's single one, simply because I remember watching almost all the way through the period between Summerslam 2002 and WMXX, and not seeing a single headline-worthy match from Trips during it, whereas during Benoit's reign we got the WMXX and Backlash Triple Threats at least, as well as a few decent TV matches. It certainly could've been booked better - I'm not even a booker, and I could tell you that if I was going to put the belt on Benoit I'd have to really put some effort in to make up for his lack of ability on the mike.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the only way Triple H could be over-rated is if people really believed that he was ever, at any point, "the best in the business", like they often claimed. Between Summerslam 2002 and now, Michaels was way better, and, on his best days, Cena too. Before then, The Rock and Stone Cold were still covering that side of things, and Lesnar could, at a couple of points when he was on absolute top form, claim to have had better days. The Undertaker, given the length of his career, could be said to be better on average than Triple H.

But either way, Triple H is NOT the most over-rated wrestler ever, especially given the flak he's drawn from so many quarters.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the only way Triple H could be over-rated is if people really believed that he was ever, at any point, "the best in the business", like they often claimed.

I think there's a good case for saying he was the best in the business during that McMahon-Helmsley run. In 2000, there weren't many better. There were other wrestlers I preferred, but I couldn't really fault anyone saying Triple H was the best that year.

• Paid Members
Anyway, to get back on topic, the only way Triple H could be over-rated is if people really believed that he was ever, at any point, "the best in the business", like they often claimed.

I think there's a good case for saying he was the best in the business during that McMahon-Helmsley run. In 2000, there weren't many better. There were other wrestlers I preferred, but I couldn't really fault anyone saying Triple H was the best that year.

In 2000? Whew, that was a year for sheer depth of talent, but I take your point.

Archived