The Carling Nations Cup 2011 Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never thought I'd see Wigan trumped when it comes to empty stadiums - but this is embarrassing, this Home Nations Cup needs England in it.

I doubt it would make all that much difference to be honest. The timing of these games is terrible. The season just finished at the weekend.

Never thought I'd see Wigan trumped when it comes to empty stadiums - but this is embarrassing, this Home Nations Cup needs England in it.

I doubt it would make all that much difference to be honest. The timing of these games is terrible. The season just finished at the weekend.

And at the end of the day, plastic trophy or not, these are just friendlies-and this one is a neutral game. As I said earlier, if you are going to have all the matches at one venue, at least play two back-to-back, so the fans get a bit more for their money, and it is more likely to be fuller for both games.

Probably for the best if they knock this tournament on the head after the weekend and give it up.

Probably for the best if they knock this tournament on the head after the weekend and give it up.

What they need to do is sort out an agreement that all of the home nations use some of their friendly slots to play a game in this tournament, and do it as a home & away deal.

Either do it proper or not at all. It's a shame, as playing these games could mean more than a friendly against someone like Paraguay.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed the Poland/Sweden game tonight. Very even first half with Earnshaw and Myhill just proving the difference. The swedes were differet class second half though and thoroughly deserved it. Adam's pass for the first goal was brilliant but he was otherwise shit. Steven Naismith was excellent and Miller and Morrison's movement was terrific too. If Scotland didn't have donkeys at centre-half, they'd have a team.

Fuck England, I enjoyed it. Watched it tonight with two Welshmen and two Scots, reminiscing about the time Barry Town played Aberdeen in Europe. Quality. Good goal by Earnie, that aside the Scots were deserved winners. No fucker there, but at least it was about the football and not the tabloid circus that England would've brought. Best Welsh bench ever too!

• Moderators
6000 for a game in an international tournament is an utter joke. The tournament needs to be knocked on the head. There's no interest in it without England involved.

Was it that many? No-one gave a shit about the game in the pub. Truth be told I didn't know there was a game on until it started. International football really is the drizzlings.

6000 for a game in an international tournament is an utter joke. The tournament needs to be knocked on the head. There's no interest in it without England involved.

Again, it's quite simply the timing of that game. Having it on a Wednesday night overseas isn't smart.

Wait and see what the crowd is on Sunday. I know a shitload of 'Well fans who are going over, and there are fans from other teams in Scotland going as well.

Was it that many? No-one gave a shit about the game in the pub. Truth be told I didn't know there was a game on until it started. International football really is the drizzlings.

You're only saying that because Wales are shit. If I was Welsh I doubt I'd be interested in international football either :smug:

Archived