The Carling Nations Cup 2011 Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

I'll watch the games because there's nack all else to do but this competition has been pretty disappointing so far. Expecting Scotland and Ireland to easily despatch weak opponents these next two nights. That should give us a decider on Sunday which will probably be the only decent game in the competition.

I thought it was a decent concept too.

Not seen anyone use "Eire" for ages.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll watch the games because there's nack all else to do but this competition has been pretty disappointing so far. Expecting Scotland and Ireland to easily despatch weak opponents these next two nights. That should give us a decider on Sunday which will probably be the only decent game in the competition.

I thought it was a decent concept too.

Not seen anyone use "Eire" for ages.

I'm surprised you expected more from it to be honest. It was never gonna be anything other than a bunch of poorly-scheduled international friendlies with a pointless nametag and trophy attached to it. If the idea was to reduce the token huge amounts of pull-outs these four sides always experience in friendlies, I guess it has failed pretty miserably. The least they could have done is put both matches per 'round' back-to-back on the same day in the hope of getting bigger crowds, and better value for the public.

As for Eire, I think the last time I heard anybody use that term was probably the 1998 Shoot annual. One of my favourite football books that.

• Paid Members
I'm surprised you expected more from it to be honest.

Maybe in hindsight, I shouldn't have but I thought playing "local" teams would ensure they'd put strong sides out and that they'd compete to a level you don't normally see in friendlies. I said right at the start of the thread that I didn't think the players would take it as seriously as Sky but I expected much more than those first two games delivered.

As for Eire, I think the last time I heard anybody use that term was probably the 1998 Shoot annual. One of my favourite football books that.

That's the term that was always used in Panini World Cup & European Championships sticker albums if I remember correctly.

• Paid Members

Although England have showed a reluctance to take part in things like this in the past I don't think it would hurt to send an England B Team or something to give some people you wouldn't have initally thought of to show if they can cut it at International level. I miss "B" internationals, always though they were good chances for other players to stake a claim except for that time Chris Sutton went mental and refused to take part.

Although England have showed a reluctance to take part in things like this in the past I don't think it would hurt to send an England B Team or something to give some people you wouldn't have initally thought of to show if they can cut it at International level. I miss "B" internationals, always though they were good chances for other players to stake a claim except for that time Chris Sutton went mental and refused to take part.

Fuck that. Tournaments like this should take place over the summer when there's no international tournaments taking place. The home internationals, especially the England vs Scotland games should be something we all look forward to after the season draws to a close.

• Paid Members
Fuck that. Tournaments like this should take place over the summer when there's no international tournaments taking place. The home internationals, especially the England vs Scotland games should be something we all look forward to after the season draws to a close.

I agree with this but clubs would go mad if their players were in use every summer.

Game last night was odd. First 15 minutes were very competitive but once Hodson gifted Kene that 2nd goal, it was a walk in the park. I gave up second half, it was embarrassing. Hope we get a better game tonight.

A Scotland win tonight, aside from giving me the chance to chuckle at the likes of Butch, will set up a nice finale with Eire this weekend.

I have to admit though, the idea of someone in a Scotland shirt lifting a trophy of any kind is a bit weird to me.

• Paid Members
A Scotland win tonight, aside from giving me the chance to chuckle at the likes of Butch, will set up a nice finale with Eire this weekend.

I have to admit though, the idea of someone in a Scotland shirt lifting a trophy of any kind is a bit weird to me.

Don't think you'l need to worry about that :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Don't be too sure!

I'm off to Dublin on Friday for Wales v Norn Iron. I hear some seats may still be available by the way...

I can't see Wales winning tonight even though our record against Scotland has been pretty good over the last few years. The Welsh national team is in a shite state of affairs but at least we'll be the best team in pot 5 when the next qualifying campaign comes around.

Archived