The Carling Nations Cup 2011 Discussion Thread

David

Wales were poor tonight. No different to under Toshack. Very disappointing. Ireland looked alright when they turned it on after the break. I don't think tonight's match was a great gauge of their ability though. Should be interesting to seem them mix it with the Scots, and the Northern Irish next time out. In one positive, I thought the crowd was fairly encouraging for a new competition. A shame then that the game was nothing to write home about.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although our squad may look good on paper, if you haven't been following Scotland recently you won't know that we have a complete chump as manager these days.

He tends to go with either one man up top, or in some cases, no strikers at all. Don't be surprised to see a shit game tonight as well.

Scotland team to play N. Ireland:

A McGregor (Rangers), A Hutton (Spurs), S Caldwell (Wigan), C Berra (Wolves), P Bardsley (Sunderland), J Morrison (West Brom), S Brown (Celtic), C Adam (Blackpool), K Commons (Celtic), S Naismith (Rangers), K Miller (Bursaspor).

Not a bad team; fairly attacking for Scotland, but then I would expect it to be a 4-4-1-1 rather than the 4-3-3 it could easily be.

• Paid Members
Scotland team to play N. Ireland:

A McGregor (Rangers), A Hutton (Spurs), S Caldwell (Wigan), C Berra (Wolves), P Bardsley (Sunderland), J Morrison (West Brom), S Brown (Celtic), C Adam (Blackpool), K Commons (Celtic), S Naismith (Rangers), K Miller (Bursaspor).

Not a bad team; fairly attacking for Scotland, but then I would expect it to be a 4-4-1-1 rather than the 4-3-3 it could easily be.

Unfortunately it will probably be 4-5-1. Cue Levein's "No easy games at Internaltional level".....To which the answer is - Yes there is, Rory McArdle is starting. :rolleyes:

Northern Ireland - Tuffey (Inverness); Craigan (Motherwell), McArdle (Aberdeen), McAuley (Ipswich), Baird (Fulham); McCann (Peterborough United), Davis (Rangers), McGinn (Celtic), McCourt (Celtic); Healy (Rangers), Boyce (Werder Bremen).

Hennessey's positioning for the third goal was terrible, it didn't even go in the corner. I'm not sure why most modern goalies bother having a wall. They still stand behind it anyway.

Its not just that, they all seem to shit themselves and step to which ever side of the goal the wall is covering anyway as the ball is being kicked, ruining their sight, positioning and balance.

The first half of last night's game was one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm glad we decided to play football in the second half though. Despite the world class strike, I'm still of the opinion that Darron Gibson is rubbish. He's certainly not good enough for Man United and I'd like to hope he's not good enough for the Ireland first XI too. He did literally nothing apart from the goal.

Shane Long is the future I think. He's got great awareness (his dummy for Duff's goal was excellent - a mate I watched with reckoned he didn't mean to dummy it, I'm being optimistic) and is pretty committed. He just needs to react quicker and finish stronger but that will come with more game time in the international scheme of things. Kevin Doyle was his usual useful presence too. Walters looked good too. The problem with all three is that they're not goal machines. Robbie Keane is a selfish wanker but you can't argue against his goal record for his country. We need another one of those, preferably someone who is more of a team player though.

Coleman's debut was middling but he's got enough talent to warrant a full shot. Fahey should be starting games. The really disturbing thing is that so many players aren't regulars for their clubs.

Archived