Undertaker/Sting discussion thread, inc 14/02 *Raw Spoilers*

danchilton

Who'd have thought a vignette could get me (and so many other people) so excited when we really know nothing but a date! :) Marvellous work WWE!

Its only marvellous if it is Sting, if its Taker or even worse some new guy with a mask etc, then WWE have just fucked themselves, people will be even more disappointed with a WM without Sting and Taker fighting Wade.

With no Goldberg and no Lensar, their is no big time money match at WM this year, and Vince cant let that happen, otherwise this WM buys will have the worst in years.

I honestly just can't see it being anyone but Sting, just because of the similarities in the promos. There's no way they did a promo almost exactly the same by accident and I don't think WWE would deliberately make people think it's Sting just for it to be someone else. Perhaps the idea is you're supposed to think it's Taker (which a lot of people do) then the surprise is it IS Sting..

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be one of my biggest wrestling dreams to see Sting come to the WWE properly, face Undertaker at Wrestlemania, headline the Hall of Fame, get a DVD, confront Vince McMahon about WCW being dead live on Raw, and then walk into the darkness and leave. But it's not going to happen, The Undertaker is going to face Wade Barrett or Kane at Wrestlemania, Sting is never going to get his HOF treatment, and he is going to stay in TNA for a couple of years until it goes out of buisness and he retires for good. Sorry to be negative, but that is what I see for the future.

• Paid Members
Fair enough but if they had all of those months since that speculation began to write that in his Wikipedia entry why choose to write it the night of the Raw when a surprise video that no one knew was going to be shown, announcing a mysterious figure is coming which makes people think "Sting"? And then it's taken down after the video is show? Still a coincidence it all happened on the same night.

People have vandalised that entry hundreds of times over the last few months adding stuff about his alleged upcoming WWE work. That's why they locked the entry. You've taken 2 + 2 and made a fuck load.

• Paid Members
Fair enough but if they had all of those months since that speculation began to write that in his Wikipedia entry why choose to write it the night of the Raw when a surprise video that no one knew was going to be shown, announcing a mysterious figure is coming which makes people think "Sting"? And then it's taken down after the video is show? Still a coincidence it all happened on the same night.

Indeed. All any one can see is, we'll find out for sure in 20 days.

I think it's Taker myself and they're just going down a slightly different road from his usual return videos. There was the one for Unforgiven 2007 where it was the desert and his handed popped up, that was a bit different at the time and I see this as just another version of the Taker hype video.

As has been said when he was buried last time his return was a massive thing because he went back to the deadman, if the video doesn't look like a Taker video it could be that he has changed his look and character slightly to reflect that he is another and possibly last incarnation of the character. He was beggining to look daft with the make-up :laugh: so maybe he looks a bit more human now but with the same attire.

Anyway I hope i'm wrong but I think the most likely and first thing to think when you see that video is Taker, well to me anyway. I don't want to dissapoint myself by geting hyped for something else because that's the only person who'll be at fault, myself. It has nothing to do with the WWE if people think it's someone else and it isn't, that's something that annoys me when rumours spread and they are wrong and it's a far more likely, albeit boring option. All you hear is "WWE let us down, they hyped up this and ended up as that" or lines to that effect, this will definately be one of those if it isn't Sting

I don't want to dissapoint myself by geting hyped for something else because that's the only person who'll be at fault, myself. It has nothing to do with the WWE if people think it's someone else and it isn't, that's something that annoys me when rumours spread and they are wrong and it's a far more likely, albeit boring option. All you hear is "WWE let us down, they hyped up this and ended up as that" or lines to that effect, this will definately be one of those if it isn't Sting

Oh yeah, I totally agree. If it's not Sting and i'm disappointed it'd be totally my fault, however luckily for me Taker is one of my two all time favourites (along with Jericho) so if it is Taker i'll be happy anyway.

I think Sting would flop in the WWE as a wrestling character. HOF, one time deal, yeah he'll get a big time and well-deserved pop. But as someone else has already mentioned, it's too late in the day for Sting to mean anything to anyone except a bunch of hardcores, or casuals who happen to watch TNA and accept Sting as a legitimate star there. Casuals who are in their 20's/30's may accept Sting as a star too. But the WWE is aimed at a younger audience these days who accept Cena (amongst others) as their messiah(s) and the questions that need to be seriously asked here is 'Do they actually know who Sting is?' and 'Will they care?'

In 2001, a Sting/Undertaker match may have meant something big. In 2011 it's little more than a novelty.

• Paid Members

I totally agree with the "nobody will care" comments, although if it turns out to be sting, id imagine wwe would slap together loads of promo videos that make sting look amazing.

When they want to, they can promote the hell out of something (Remeber ECW? Fair enough it was popular anyway, but WWE gave it the promo treatment and ONS became a huge deal.......although of course they went on to ruin it, but you get the idea), So especially for the kids i reckon we'd get some sort of history style promo, or a selection of promos, just to give people an idea of who he is.

Or a 'Best of Sting' comp. ONS came about due to the success of 'The Rise and Fall of ECW' DVD, which in turn led to this, then that, then the PPV itself. As you state Bowyo, WWE can do a hell of a job when they want to at promoting an event. But with a subject as worthy as Sting, and with 20 days to go until the debut of this 'mystery character', the WWE have really dropped the ball so far. I may be wrong, but I think I can safely say, it's not Sting. A dark, brooding, Seth Rollings may be a safer bet, or maybe it's just another boring Undertaker return.

Seth Rollins would be a good call if it wasn't a month before Wrestlemania. As mentioned already, wwe are clearly wanting to make a big deal of this so I doubt it's him. Unless they are really really liking him?

Id love it to be Sting but in tradition I can see a let down :(

Not to spoil the Rumble, but two people in particular got pretty decent reactions. If they can, Sting will I reckon. Assuming it is even Sting.

Again, one-off appearences with people who've actually appeared in the WWE before and, more importantly, within the last ten years. TNA does not even show up on the radar of most casuals, so why would the WWE universe (for lack of a better term) care about a person who's been in purgatory for the last ten years?

Another thing to consider is this: support for WWE and WCW was quite tribalistic in its day. Some old-school casuals would not give a fuck about a 'WCW legend' and vice-versa.

Edited by Adam Young

• Paid Members
Again, one-off appearences with people who've actually appeared in the WWE before and, more impotantly, within the last ten years. TNA does not even show up on the radar of most casuals, so why would the WWE universe (for lack of a better term) care about a person who's been in purgatory for the last ten years?

The audience is not made up wholly of people who didn't watch wrestling 10 years ago. I'd bet that at least half the audience is old enough to know who Sting is. If they produce enough vignettes and interviews to show Sting's history then he'll get over easily. He's a classy worker with a cool gimick and a massive history on video tape battling guys the audience knows. It's not a hard sell job.