How big could've Jeff Hardy been?

Jetta's G-string

At the end of his WWE run, Jeff Hardy was mega over. How big do you think he could've gotten if he had stayed. Do you think he could've gotten as big as Cena? Personally I think the sky was the limit for him, the kids loved him, the women loved him etc and I cant remember hm getting many boos at all.

Maybe the point with Hardy is that he reached his upper limit in his last run with WWE, and just wasn't ever cut out to be at the top level of a company like WWE for a sustained period, as people like Cena, HHH, Hogan, Austin, Rock etc are or have been. It clearly takes a certain type of personality, one which Hardy isn't. Be it the pressure, the workload, having to conform, or whatever, Hardy couldn't take any more in WWE at the top of the card, and walked away. People criticise him for this, and by all accounts, it seems WWE threw their chequebook at him to keep him around, so it's not like they didn't show him the due appreciation. I believe Hardy just couldn't handle the pressure of life at the top of WWE and walked away. Now he is at the top of a less pressured company, which I guess suits him much better, to a similar degree that being a WWE mid-carder would/did.

It is kind of similar to Shawn Michaels prior to his injury hiatus in 1998, where he just couldn't handle the pressure of spearheading WWE for whatever the reason. Hence when he came back in 2002, though he dabbled with the WWE Championship, he said (in his latest dvd I believe) that he never wanted to put too much pressure on himself second time round and just wanted to enjoy it for what it was, hence he was never the true spearhead of the company again. He found his true role second time round, one which suited him and the company, and excelled in it for 8 good years.

So, back to Jeff Hardy. To ask, 'Could Hardy have been any bigger' is a redunant question really. He got as big as he could and was able to handle.

I think there's a lot of factors to consider.

If he went on as he was doing after his feud with Punk and stayed with WWE, maybe even continuing his feud with Punk, or having a small little break and then returning to continue their feud I think he could possibly have become one of the big faces in WWE, maybe not as big as Cena but in time who's to say he couldn't have been.

However if he had done all of this but then as we know now, he got caught with the drugs and everything I can't see how WWE couldn't have released him.

I think really taking into consideration what we know now about what he actually did WWE couldn't have kept him and what he did probably was the best thing he could have done for himself (well technically not getting involved with the drugs is the best thing he could have done, but this is the best thing he could have done taking into consideration the whole thing with the drug scandal). He managed to become a big name in WWE, become the WWE Champion and went away on a high note, then after a break he rejoined with TNA but now he was a former WWE Champion, something he wasn't in his last run with TNA. This meant he was a credible main eventer who had been in the main event in WWE and being such a recent big name in WWE is what allowed him to become bigger in TNA and become their World Champion and the main bad guy surrounded by his stable. Obviously now things aren't so great as TNA had to get rid of him as Champion as he got closer to his court appearance and they obviously wouldn't want the media saying their current World CHampion was in court on drug charges, if he was in WWE though they most probably would have stripped him of the Title and fired him.

But yeah, if he hadn't got himself caught up in a drug scandal he had the potential to become very big in WWE, perhaps not the same level as Cena right now, but definetly just behind him, and in time he could have ended up challenging Cena as the top guy there.

I was thinking aboutt his the other day, Why did he leave WWE when he was being pushed to the Moon. And why did he join the WAY amaller company of TNA. It could have been the lighter schedule, it certainly wouldn't have been the money. But most of all I can see the reason being that he can do what the hell he likes in TNA. Hell when he first joined he looked so disinterested when he was doing promo's, even his wrestling was sloppy. He is even now allowed to smoke on the way to the ring!

I think he got to his limit by the end of his WWE run really. With Cena, Orton and DX being the top dogs on Raw before he left, Jeff Hardy was the number 1 guy on Smackdown, which lead to him selling a huge amount of merchandise. I think he was big enough really, if he stayed he probably would have been around Rey Mysterio levels. By that I mean being the 2nd or so merchandise seller, and changing every couple of months between main event and upper mid card status.

I was thinking aboutt his the other day, Why did he leave WWE when he was being pushed to the Moon. And why did he join the WAY amaller company of TNA. It could have been the lighter schedule, it certainly wouldn't have been the money. But most of all I can see the reason being that he can do what the hell he likes in TNA. Hell when he first joined he looked so disinterested when he was doing promo's, even his wrestling was sloppy. He is even now allowed to smoke on the way to the ring!

Though he wouldn't have been on anywhere near as much as he was whilst in WWE (per annum), you've got to remember that he would be working a massively reduced schedule and be subjected to much less pressure in TNA. On a per appearance basis, I wouldn't be surprised if he was earning more in TNA. I understand that he would be losing out on a ton of merchandise money by not being in WWE, but as A.P wrote the life at the top of WWE isn't for everybody.

I don't however believe that he would ever have overtaken Cena in terms of being the #1 baby face in the company. He may have been popular in the eyes of a greater share of the audience (which kinda contradicts what I'm saying) but the #1 baby face spot in WWE is reserved for McMahon's golden boy, John Cena, and WWE would have continued to book in accordance to this; ergo Hardy would never be presented as being Cena's equal, never mind superior.

• Paid Members

I'd say the most obvious reason as to why Jeff would never be No.1 in WWE over Cena is that Cena's hard-working and reliable, whereas Jeff's drug problems are even known now to casual fans, plus he has a history of phoning it in when unmotivated. You can't make a guy like Jeff the figurehead with his track-record - even in his apparently new, cleaned-up state, his past is going to count against him until he builds up enough trust with his employers to warrant giving him the top spot, and I don't think he'll do that for a number of years, by which point he'll be far past his best.

Tell you what, though - I'm currently on catch-up with TNA, downloading off PWT; I'm in early December right now, and I'm loving Jeff's work. He's basically an updated Raven (and I was very disappointed they didn't do more of a torch-passing moment with those two), his promo skills have improved immensely, and his less high-risk style's paying off pretty well, I'd say.

• Paid Members

I'd actually put him down as another victim of Smackdown's small-time writing team. Sure, by the end of his run he was a big star, and a legit moneyspinner for the company, but he could have been so much bigger, even with just a little better planning. Take a look at the back end of 2008, Jeff was in the form of his life, he was working hard, (seemingly) behaving himself out of the ring, and most importantly was as over as anyone else has been in the last decade. The excellent series with HHH where he would come "just THIS close" to winning the big one did wonders for him, and gained him even more sympathy. WWE had a guy on the verge of being a megastar on their books, all that was left to do was to put the belt on him...

So, how do you go about making Jeff Hardy world champeen?. Well, the tickets writing Smackdown decided that it would be best to have him win the belt in a poorly built up match at a B-level ppv that noone bought, and then have him go on to lose it a month later at the Royal Rumble. It did nothing for Jeff, except stall his momentum, and he wouldn't recover til long after the Matt feud.

I think that with a proper build Jeff could have been "made" by winning the belt at WM, it could have been a genuine "Wrestlemania moment", and it probably would have been worthy of closing the show. WWE should have capitalised, it certainly would have been better than what we got.

Fuck Smackdown.

Archived