The 'What are you going to do with your life after Uni' Thread

Cobra1000

So I thought I'd start this up and see what happens.

Maybe a lot of people are in the same boat of about to be or have been. Anyway I finish University in 5 months, and God knows what the hell I'm going to do after. Basically no good jobs, I hate Belfast and that general feeling of being unfulfilled etc.

I would like to move away but I feel the fact I stayed at home and went to Uni has hindered that a lot. I would like to move somewhere like Manchester or London as there is a better chance of jobs I guess and living away from home would be an adventure. But then the whole just going out and getting a job that will be the rest of your life scares me (sorry if I come across as pompous or arrogant there) obviously I don't just want any job, but these days a shit job thats well paid could be good you know? But then do I want to get a job, at Uni I never felt like I made all that good friends with people on my course, I didn't part all that much or have those great experiences everybody else seems too. I would like to travelling and just never come back, but that requires loads of money, so I'm thinking if I move away that would be like an adventure anyway...

so as you see I'm conflicted, anybody else in a similar situation?

• Paid Members

im not in a similar situation that i aint coming out of Uni. but i just finished a job that i spent 9 years in. I'm currently in limbo and i don't really know what do?

i'm looking for any kind of job at the moment but it could be a tough road, my problem has always been that i've never focussed on one area and gone for it, i've always treated my job as 'just a job'. I think i'm the kind of person that could settle in too any job, but ideally i'd like to do something I enjoy.

I'm happy where i live, families close and all that and i live close enough to some cities that travelling for jobs is an option, but really at the moment i'd take anything.

• Paid Members

This is something I've been looking at too, though I'm already taking the steps in the next month or so to go a long way to trying to get work after my film course finishes.

1) Firstly, they key thing I want to do is to keep making films and not put the three years of uni education to waste. I'm already entering various pieces of work into festivals and working on a few other things with other people at uni, getting stuff sent off, getting my name out there, etc. so far I'm reasonably pleased with the progress I'm making, though I understand it's a bit of a slow process. Aside from making my own stuff, I'm applying for more placements that come up for our Uni and we've got a fair few this month up for grabs, so it's a good chance to get more professional experience under one's belt.

2) I'm doing pretty dandy at my current retail job, so when uni finishes there's a high probability I'd be in line for a promotion in the run up to the busier second half of the year. All being well, it's a chance to make some extra dough over the second half of the year, especially towards Christmas. But also, a friend of mine has offered me a position at his job, where's an assistant manager. When the current manager there leaves the country, he's in line for the promotion to manager and he'll then bring me in as either a team leader or assistant manager there. All sounds incredibly unglamourous I admit, but money is money. What I don't want to do is completely go off of the film side of things and not put my degree to good use. Thus, my plan is to work hard in both fields. Work on the films and building up that "career" in my spare time whilst working my way up the ranks in one of those two jobs.

3) I'm also looking into doing a masters degree and hopefully getting some gaurenteed work after that. I've looked into the possibility of going to America and doing my masters degree over there, as I dare say there's more film work over there than there is in this neck of the woods.

4) Win the lottery.

Nicko, if you're happy enough to do soulless corporate shit as a day job, why not do soulless corporate shit video work? It's no more fulfilling than being a retail management cunt (I've done both), but you do at least meet other filmmaking people and get to develop your craft whilst making stuff that A) someone else is paying for, and B) you don't have any real attachment to so it's not a suicide case if it doesn't come off just right. It also helps with diplomacy and problem-solving skills, because inevitably you'd at some point be making videos for companies who haven't a clue about the filmmaking process.

Although it can have the knock-on effect of sapping your interest in filmmaking, because you associate it all with the shitty corporate video work. I suppose if you're working in a shop, coming home to do stuff with cameras and whatnot in the evening seems fun. If you're working with cameras and whatnot in the day, it's a bit nightmarish to be doing it when you come home as well.

I went to Uni and did an Honours Degree in ICT multimedia got myself a 2:2 really unhappy with it but then The University of Huddersfield in the ICT department are PISS poor. Everything I dreamed of doing from games programming, 3d moddling, web programming, web design, video and after effects. Graphic designs all shot down and I kind of detest those subjects and I'm not really good at any of'em. I was so annoyed with myself I refused to go to graduation. Now only just leaving from July I dont know what I want to do. Was thinking of going back to Uni well a different one to finished my studies and earn myself a masters but dont know what in. I dont have any passion for next to nothing in ICT.

Now I cant find a job when I do find one I apply and hear nothing back.

If you ever come across a tutor who tells you this when you start university go up and punch'em

"When you leave University, you'll walk straight into a job earning over

• Paid Members
Nicko, if you're happy enough to do soulless corporate shit as a day job, why not do soulless corporate shit video work? It's no more fulfilling than being a retail management cunt (I've done both), but you do at least meet other filmmaking people and get to develop your craft whilst making stuff that A) someone else is paying for, and B) you don't have any real attachment to so it's not a suicide case if it doesn't come off just right. It also helps with diplomacy and problem-solving skills, because inevitably you'd at some point be making videos for companies who haven't a clue about the filmmaking process.

Although it can have the knock-on effect of sapping your interest in filmmaking, because you associate it all with the shitty corporate video work. I suppose if you're working in a shop, coming home to do stuff with cameras and whatnot in the evening seems fun. If you're working with cameras and whatnot in the day, it's a bit nightmarish to be doing it when you come home as well.

Aye, already on the case with the corporate filmmaking stuff. There's a good chance of making money in that field too, so it's a good option. With those placements and stuff that I mentioned, a few of them are for corporate videos which need to be worked on. It's mostly editing, but then that usually involves working closely with the director/camera crew as it is. I've been told by a few of the lads last year who got editing placements that some of the footage was so weak, they told the other "professionals" that they needed to do re-shoots. More often than not, they actually listened and in the end made some good stuff for that field.

The knock on effect, as you said, is coming home and working with cameras again and trying to maintain that level of enthusiasm and interest. But then if you surround yourself with the right people to keep you interested and motivated then that usually helps. The other thing is money. The assistant manager stuff I was banging on about, that's mostly short term stuff. The film/corporate stuff is more long term planning on my part.

when I finished Uni (ICT) many moons ago I had a job for the day, then the company went tits up and was left on my own in the middle of Cheltenham with 60 quid and needing to get an 80 quid train ticket home. So i signed on and applied for any and every ICT job possible in my neck of the words and eventually found one. stayed in the industry just over a year and then started teacher training - best decision of my life

It's at times like this that i'm glad I gave University a bodyswerve.

I was glad about that for the first four years after I'd left school, but more and more time spent in the same job made me realise I was never going to acheive what I wanted through hard graft, as the people above me would always take a slightly lesser employee for promotion in order to ensure I wasn't off the sales force. So I quit and went back to uni, am enjoying it a lot and plan to become a teacher.

I never went to uni, had no interest in it. But i know i earn more than about 90% of the people i went to school with. The school i went to was one of the best in the borough and the education authority is in the top 10 in the country. If you work had you dont need uni.

• Paid Members

I'm in my final year at Uni studying business and will be graduating in 6 months time which is an exciting prospect. I'm looking at working and living in London with my girlfriend and we're currently looking at places, although that's getting a little ahead of ourselves as we have a while left yet. I've been applying for Graduate jobs in Marketing & Strategy which is what I spent my placement year doing and enjoyed it, waiting to hear back on the majority of them as they're only just passing deadlines but have a couple of interviews lined up for the end of January and February so it's looking promising so far.

I know that all sounds a little rose tinted but not every University experience is rubbish!

Archived