Music: Recommend an Album Thread!

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i know we got the 'What Album Are You Listening To?' thread, but people tend just to stick a picture of an album cover in a post and leave it at that? what good is that to anyone?

thought i'd start a new one, because primarily i'm constantly on the look out for new music and i'm always wanting to pimp music i like on other people. Basically just post the album and give a reason why people on here should listen to it? simple really :) old or new, whatever...

I'll try adding some obscure type shit because there's lots of music that deserves more listeners than it actually has.

Great :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I like the idea, and I was just today listening to a massively underrated/unheard of album that is one of my favourites that is perfect for this list.. However, I'm rubbish at writing stuff about music so here's what someone wrote on Amazon that's pretty accurate:

Fried - Fried

Fried's eponymous debut is a rare gem of an album. Combining truly emotive songwriting with achingly evocative vocals, Fried is one of the most accomplished mixes of soul/funk and R&B in years. The result of a five year search by former Fine Young Cannibals songwriter David Steele to find the perfect singer, Fried combines Steele's undeniable talents with that of 23-year old New Orleans gospel singer Jonte Short.

Evoking both the maverick vocal gymnastic of Macy Gray and smouldering old-soul charm of Fontella Bass and Aretha Franklin, Short's honeyed vocals reflect pain, frustration and joy with remarkable ease. Opening track and first single "If You Get Out Of Jail" swings with a deep bass hook, while strings, slide guitar and a rap by RZA pepper proceedings, but its Short crying out for her denied loving that gets the spine a tingling. With Steele having resisted Macy Gray's attempts to acquire "Whatever I Choose" it's somewhat ironic that Short's vocals echo her so strongly on the track. But it's the singer's remarkably nimble shifts in mood and range from the carefree summery lilt of "Sugar Water Days" to Beth Gibbon's forlorn contemplation "Stranger In This Land, that makes otherwise good songs great.

I haven't really heard anything like this nearly as good before or since. The whole album is tremendous. The Band got re-signed a couple years back, and re-released the album as "Things Change" with a couple new tracks and a couple tracks gone from the original (haven't heard that though).

51G9FZGPT0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Paid Members

51MeM1fzuJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Joe Purdy - Julie Blue

I'm obsessed with this guy at the moment, acoustic singer / songwriter from Arkansas, a few of his songs have featured in Lost and Grey's Anatomy but this album is fantastic. It's by far the most chilled out thing I've ever heard, kind of in that Jack Johnson mould, but even more chilled. I think all of his albums are free to listen to on his website, and all are on Spotify too. Especially check out the following tracks:

Skinny Dippin' Girl

I've pimped them in the the other thread already, but both albums by The Jim Jones Revue are essential listening. Seriously, these guys are the most rock and roll band I've ever heard or seen. Someone described is "music for drinking, fighting and fucking." You can't say fairer than that. Basically, it's piano driven rock'n'roll with a somewhat modern edge to some of the lyrics. Imagine Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard having a love-child who grows up in south London listening to the Clash, the Stooges and MC5 and you've more or less got it. Except it's even better.

• Paid Members

childs-yui.jpg

Yui by Childs

Vito mentioned this album last year and gave it a glowing recommendation so I gave it a listen, it's probably the best album I heard last year.

I'm crap with working out genres so would probably put this in post rock and electronic and ambient category if there is such a thing.

It's almost like being in a dream, it flows so well from track to track throwing in bits of indie electronic rock and pop.

I don't think I do this album any justice by words alone, just listen to it and listen to it again and again (like I'm about to do now)

Can I plug a mate? I think I will because it's sooo good.

4mat - Decades

Decades.jpg

This was, for me, the best album of the year last year - a simply sublime bag of electronic goodness by a guy who's been plugging away on the chipmusic scene for 20 years. Practically the whole album is written on an old-school Amiga tracker, but it just goes to show that there's no substitute for musical genius. Huge, soaring, screaming electronic synths and blasting drumtracks, all pushed along by this relentless joy that is rare in music nowadays.

An album that proves that the best music is written by geeks in their bedrooms. I wish I'd written the first 2 tracks of this album, there's no higher praise.

That Childs album is great.

Ten essential albums I think you should listen to because I think they're essential and I'm great:

The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails - Oddly this isn't my favourite NIN album but it is the one I would recommend to someone who wasn't familiar with them. It's pretty flawless and has Hurt, a song that is every bit as good as the hype and also far superior to the Cash version regardless of what Reznor says.

Jane Doe - Converge - So good I got the artwork tattooed! My favourite song ever is the title track.

Apologies To The Queen Mary - Wolf Parade - One of the best bands out there, this is their debut album.

The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New - If you've heard Brand New's first two albums you, like me, probably thought they weren't capable of this. It's a stunning suckerpunch.

Option Paralysis - The Dillinger Escape Plan - Their finest work to date.

Before The Dawn Heals Us - M83 - It's French, it's dreamlike, it's pretentious. It's all of those things. And it's brilliant.

Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses - Slipknot - An album they'll never better.

Backspacer - Pearl Jam - Again, it's probably not my favourite album of theirs, but it was such a welcome relief that they could still write an album like this so late into their career.

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - Bright Eyes - I usually hate twee, acoustic songwriters and Conor Oberst is certainly that, but he's also fucking excellent when he writes stuff like this.

This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You - Aggressive and beautiful post-rock.

• Paid Members
Can I plug a mate? I think I will because it's sooo good.

4mat - Decades

Decades.jpg

This was, for me, the best album of the year last year - a simply sublime bag of electronic goodness by a guy who's been plugging away on the chipmusic scene for 20 years. Practically the whole album is written on an old-school Amiga tracker, but it just goes to show that there's no substitute for musical genius. Huge, soaring, screaming electronic synths and blasting drumtracks, all pushed along by this relentless joy that is rare in music nowadays.

An album that proves that the best music is written by geeks in their bedrooms. I wish I'd written the first 2 tracks of this album, there's no higher praise.

Will buy a copy, had a quick listen to the samples, very cool.

Solitary Confinement by Rhyme Asylum

51ZeMYYSbVL.jpg

No idea how these guys are still so underground, this is easily some of the best Hip-Hop to come from the UK in a long time.

The lyrical style is a little out there and may kind of fit in with the "horrorcore" scene at times but don't let that put you off as i know, most of that stuff is absolute shite. The word play and lyricism is just stunningly good, the ammount of lines that just stop you in your tracks are endless.

Add in some awesome production and even a guest appearance by Ill Bill and you might have one of the best rap albums of 2010.

Archived