Music: Recommend an Album Thread!

Egg Shen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i love the internet!

done a little digging on Gigantic just to confirm that i wasn't dreaming.

Gigantic were formed by a couple of members of a London band called Flesh For Lulu, who were moderately successful but seem to have kept a bit of a cult following, one of their songs even covered by The Goo Goo Dolls. Gigantic formed, signed to Columbia Records, released an album which flopped and were the dropped and broke up.

The album they released has since been re-released under the Flesh For Lulu name, but it's title has changed from Disenchanted to 'Gigantic'.

i just bought the album used from amazon marketplace for 1p....unbelievable what you can find with a little research :)

51tNuBHVRuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51uuGBn0J4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cheers shall go and have a looky, ditto with the soul seek stuff

• Paid Members

i'll add this one in...it's pretty new, but fuck it:

hedPE-TruthRising.jpg

(hed)pe have fallen out of favour with the press in recent years, so that's why i'm adding it...most people who were fans back in the day probably don't even know the band are still together. Anyway's, out of the whole nu-metal market i always found (hed)pe to be one of the most interesting outfits, mainly due to the fact that they had a genuinely talented rap vocalist, add with that a raw punk-metal sound and they were definately one of the most exciting bands of the genre (i highly recommend you get the debut album, it's fantastic), the band did polish up the sound for a couple of albums but since the nu-metal movement died, they've gone back to making raw sounding rap-metal with a big political/conspiracy theory vibe (which i couldn't give a toss about if i'm honest) and whilst i've kind of breezed over a few albums this new one is great. I stupidly passed up a chance to see them last year and went to see Trivium the same night instead (which ended up being shit), but i'll be checking em out if they tour this album over here.

• Paid Members

Nice one Ebb, love me some Hed(pe)! I'll be checking this out for sure.

I downloaded the last album and found it to be really hit & miss but the first 2 albums are great, I saw them twice when they were around the first time & they were fanstastic both times. Fingers crossed for a Download appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
childs-yui.jpg

Yui by Childs

Vito mentioned this album last year and gave it a glowing recommendation so I gave it a listen, it's probably the best album I heard last year.

I'm crap with working out genres so would probably put this in post rock and electronic and ambient category if there is such a thing.

It's almost like being in a dream, it flows so well from track to track throwing in bits of indie electronic rock and pop.

I don't think I do this album any justice by words alone, just listen to it and listen to it again and again (like I'm about to do now)

^ That post just made my day, it really is an amazing album.

Speaking of amazing albums...

lmntl819 & reindeer - "Views From The Psychedelik Deathcab"

lmntl819reindeer.jpg

I never go anywhere without a copy of this album to hand. That's not an exaggeration, it's absolutely 100% true. I have a copy on my desktop PC, a copy on my laptop, a copy on a iPhone and two physical copies; one for the CD rack and one for the car. The reason I have so many copies of this album is because it's amazing, it's ten tracks of bleak alternative-hip-hop featuring the best emcees nobody has ever heard of. If you're at all familiar with the soundtrack work of Nick Cave & Warren Ellis then you're in for a treat as their work from the movie "The Proposition" is brilliantly sampled a few times on this album. I'm a huge huge huge fan of James Reindeer as he's one of the few hip-hop personalities that has made work that I would describe as inspirational and as a result I routinely push his music into the hands (and ears) of anyone who'll listen to it, the guy is from the UK and like all decent artists he's completely unknown and could really use the support.

Here's a YouTube flavoured taster:

I've been getting more into more rap/hip hop lately, I really like Jay Z and Kanye West mostly, I have most of both of thier catalogue's. Can someone recommend me a good hip hop record along those lines? Something commercial but a bit different, don't want any angry "gonna kill yo niggaz" type stuff.

Archived