Raw 10/01/2011 Discussion

Cobra1000

I see a few people seem a bit diappointed with this week's Raw but I think it was quite good, but that maybe because I'm really into the whole Nexus angle whereas some people just aren't and others seem to have liked it but think it's got a bit stale now, I think it's got anything but stale.

I agree the R-Truth and Alberto Del Rio match was a bit of a let down as it was just a rematch from last week and the result was a count out. I must admit that it did entertain me at the end though with the way it happened. I know I've not had anything that good to say about Del Rio or Ricardo but this week I thought they were both quite good, Ricardo's "What's up, What's up, What's up?" was brilliant and a pretty funny way for Truth to lose the match but his singing and dancing in the ring was priceless. The Bryan/Henry and DiBiase/Kidd match was a bit boring though as I'd already seen them wrestle last week on Superstars and nothing funny or interesting really happened.

The show stealers of the night were obviously for me Nexus, I've turned into a bit of a fanboy for them since they debuted and would love them to become the biggest story of this decade in wrestling and go down a similar kind of route as the Ministry/Corporation but even more successful and longer. I liked the darker feel to them under Punk too with one or two of the initations going right to the edge of PG, especially with the lashings of Husky (which brought back reminders of when the Ministry lashed the Brood) and the joking about jumping from the titantron to his death as he talked about being the leader of Nexus in the past tense as opposed to being the leader of the Nexus in the present tense when teasing the jump. I'd love Punk to keep that dark feeling around the Nexus as he did seem very cult like and quite twisted last night and I hope Cena doesn't do the superhero thing next week and steamroll them, really making the whole thing seem like a joke as I think if they all ambush Cena and really take him out, maybe give him a lashing and so on it would really bring out the danger of the group and push the PG boundaries again.

I do echo someone's point about missing Barrett though and again echo someone else's idea that it would be great for the now departed Slater and Gabriel to join Barrett on Smackdown and make a splinter group of Nexus but I can see them both just becoming a new addition to the tag team division as they were Tag Team Champions together and the fact they both had the initation together and turned it down, walking out together looks as if that might be the case. I just really hope they don't join with Cena.

I also hope this whole Nexus storyline helps to bring back the need for real, properly used stables, ie a group of wrestlers who work together for the well being of the whole group as a unit (eg. The Four Horsemen) or a group who all work together to serve their leader (eg. The Ministry and the kind of stable that I hope Punk's Nexus are built after) as opposed to a few guys stuck in a stable together without any real meaning (eg. The Union).

Shawn Michaels being the first inductee in this year's Hall of Fame really made me happy, Michaels is one of the guys who I think is really deserving of being in the Hall of Fame and I am so glad he's going into it this year. The use of Alberto Del Rio during his appearance was a little strange as I can't see Michaels going back on his promise of retiring so I am guessing maybe Michaels will eventually get Triple H in to have a match with Del Rio at Wrestlemania and he will be involved in that, I did think Triple H would initially try to get revenge on Sheamus though. It might even be revealed that Shawn Michaels is the anonymous GM to keep him around for a while but without having to wrestle.

Finally the other two matches on the show were pretty good, I'm liking the Morrison and Sheamus feud, it's not over complicated and their matches are very entertaining as they are working well together. The Orton/Lawler and Miz/Riley match was a nice way to finish the show and really builds on the Rumble match between Miz and Orton, I'm hoping Miz will defeat Orton but I'm not sure if that will happen as Orton seems to be one of the guys who has made his way into the Wrestlemania main events over the years but then again they could always have someone else defeat Miz at Elimination Chamber. I'd like Miz to be in the Wrestlemania main event but I can't see him being that high up on the list of guys who WWE think can main event Wrestlemania just yet, I hope they give him the chance though and try to freshen up the main event rather than have the same sorts of guys in the main events every year.

The last 5 years of Wrestlemania have had one of the two Title main events involve (obviously they couldn't be in both of the Title matches at the same Wrestlemania):

Cena in all five of them (5/5)

Triple H in three of them (3/5)

Orton in three of them (3/5)

Edge in three of them (3/5)

Batista in two of them (2/5)

Undertaker in two of them (2/5)

The others have only been in one of the Title match main events there over the last five years (Jericho, Big Show, Michaels and Angle) but they've all been in the Wrestlemania main event in previous years bar Rey Mysterio who has only ever been in the main event Title match at Wrestlemania 22.

So in the last 5 years of Wrestlemania Title match main events there's only been one fresh face who hasn't appeared in the Wrestlemania Title match main event more than once. For that point alone I'd like to see one or two fresh faces in it this year such as The Miz.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit more of an "edge" to the show this week I thought, with Cena's use of the word "ass" and Punk teasing suicide off of the Titantron.

Hopefully WWE continues to push the boundary of what they can do under the PG umbrella.

Oh, and Alberto Del Rio absolutely radiates "superstar". If this guy is not WWE/World Champion some day then it is an absolute travesty in my opinion.

John Cena issued an apology on Twitter for using the word "ass" on RAW, claiming he was fined for the non-PG language. Cena wrote on Twitter.com/JohnCena:

"Lots of posts about my language last night on Raw. I do apologize. It was out of line and I was indeed fined. If I have offended anyone it was not my intention."

Bit more of an "edge" to the show this week I thought, with Cena's use of the word "ass" and Punk teasing suicide off of the Titantron.

Hopefully WWE continues to push the boundary of what they can do under the PG umbrella.

Oh, and Alberto Del Rio absolutely radiates "superstar". If this guy is not WWE/World Champion some day then it is an absolute travesty in my opinion.

John Cena issued an apology on Twitter for using the word "ass" on RAW, claiming he was fined for the non-PG language. Cena wrote on Twitter.com/JohnCena:

"Lots of posts about my language last night on Raw. I do apologize. It was out of line and I was indeed fined. If I have offended anyone it was not my intention."

That's pretty poor really considering how the word ass used to be flung around, even in catchphrases, not that long ago. I didn't realise ass was a word that was too bad for PG either actually. I remember as a kid watching Mrs Doubtfire which is a PG and at one point the word "sh*t" is used but maybe film PG ratings are different to TV PG ratings.

• Paid Members

WWE must be allowing use of the word "ass" one Raw every January. I remember Bret kept saying "get your ass out here" on his second appaerance on Raw last year. Seriously, though, cant see them fining him. I dont think its much of a big deal is it? Home Alone is PG and uses the word "ass" in that film.

• Paid Members

Surely Cena is just playing along? They would've beeped it otherwise. I thought his promo was excellent. Serious bad-ass Cena is the best thing in wrestling. It's moments like these that make me desperate to see him as a bad-ass heel.

I didn't really watch the matches, they were mostly retreads so I flicked through them. Some strong stuff though. Big Show's beatdown of Otunga was super-intense. Show is in great form right now. The whole Nexus thing was decent if a bit odd.

HBK made sense but I still convinced myself it might be Savage. I guessed HBK from the moment they mentioned it though. Nice segment with Del Rio, who was also on good form all night.

Excellent performances from John Morrison as a babyface lately. Be nice to see them really work on him in the next few months. He's one of several really exciting prospects right now.

Loved the little kid dressed as Sheamus.

Surely Cena is just playing along? They would've beeped it otherwise.

They did, but the beep came a second too late. I'm fairly sure that one use of the word "ass" doesn't contravene any PG guidelines, anyway. Although they used to beep Austin saying it all the time.

• Paid Members
Surely Cena is just playing along? They would've beeped it otherwise.

They did, but the beep came a second too late. I'm fairly sure that one use of the word "ass" doesn't contravene any PG guidelines, anyway. Although they used to beep Austin saying it all the time.

Yeah, I heard the beep. They don't make mistakes like that. I thought it was deliberate. Cena comes across cooler, WWE can explain a simple 'mistake' (if anyone even cares) and everyone moves on without harming anything.

I think it's incredibly lame either way to have Cena the badass apologize for his use of the word 'ass' to thousands of followers on Twitter - no matter what they were going for. I'm no Cena hater but it just looks riddiculous from where I sit. What a rebel. He is weally in twouble now!

• Paid Members
I think it's incredibly lame either way to have Cena the badass apologize for his use of the word 'ass' to thousands of followers on Twitter - no matter what they were going for. I'm no Cena hater but it just looks riddiculous from where I sit. What a rebel. He is weally in twouble now!

Eric Cantona had to apologise for booting that Palace fan in the face before lamping him, even though years late Cantona put it at the top of his career highlights, because he enjoyed it so much. He's asking his fans to understand his anger. I think its pretty cool that they are covering it up that he went a bit spastic. Makes it seem out of the blue, even if it isnt.

Yeah, I heard the beep. They don't make mistakes like that.

They made mistakes like that all the time at the start of the attitude era, and they're long out of practise when it comes to beeping.

I thought it was deliberate. Cena comes across cooler, WWE can explain a simple 'mistake' (if anyone even cares) and everyone moves on without harming anything.

I doubt it has made Cena come across cooler. Most (though not all) fans today were watching two and a half years ago when he could say "ass" all the time anyway. If someone really did cook up that plan at WWE, it'd be hilarious. And I wouldn't put it past them -- but if it was intentional, doesn't Cena lose all bad-ass points for apologising to everyone on Twitter?

The only effect I've noticed it have is "WWE NOT PG ANYMORE???!!!!" threads from thick kids on other forums.

Eric Cantona had to apologise for booting that Palace fan in the face before lamping him, even though years late Cantona put it at the top of his career highlights, because he enjoyed it so much. He's asking his fans to understand his anger. I think its pretty cool that they are covering it up that he went a bit spastic. Makes it seem out of the blue, even if it isnt.

Cena didn't kick someone in the head though. He said the word 'ass'. I see where you are coming from and it's a good idea in theory but it is just so goofy to do it for dropping an A-bomb.

Most people who looked at that Twitter message probably had a right laugh at it.

On Sky Sports the dub came a second too late (for some reason that was the case with Bret last year too, something to do with audio sync between NTSC and PAL??) but on the USA Network there was no bleep at all. This was also the case last year with Bret Hart and Steve Austin so they are obviously letting the American feed go out untouched but the international feed is being edited. That can only mean that they knew those words were gonna be spoken and were prepared.

I really don't understand all the hate on TVPG or even WWE's lame excuse for it being family friendly. Smackdown has always been PG and always featured swearing although for some reason the first hour was always bleeped whereas the second hour wasn't. WWF Raw is War went TV14 in 1999 but up until then was always uncut as far as language went even though Sky Sports versions were often edited. I don't understand it at all. The swearing back then and even on Smackdown over the years has always been the same kind of stuff. Never any 'shit' or 'F words's just things like ass, bitch, bastard, son of a bitch. There is no problem with using swearing on a PG rating but yet everyone thinks because it is PG now that it is a big no-no and WWE are no better since they also promote their PG rated shows constantly.

I just hope that the day they get a little bit more mature with their content they get their international feeds sorted out because even though their bleeps this past year weren't always on time, i really don't wanna be watching a mature WWE live with bleeps everywhere. There is no need for it especially if they don't even bother touching their American feed.

Archived