Your favourite acting performances

Murtz

• Paid Members
I could name ten actors without having to really think about it that could slot into Ledger's position and do as good a job.

Go on then. I agree with what you say 100%, I'm just interested to see who you would pick.

Tis above your post yo.

Indeed it is. Stupid slow iPhone.

Josh Hartnett...really?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could name ten actors without having to really think about it that could slot into Ledger's position and do as good a job.

Go on then. I agree with what you say 100%, I'm just interested to see who you would pick.

Tis above your post yo.

Josh Hartnett...really?

Why not? He's no Brando but he's capable of what the role requires.

• Paid Members

Tis above your post yo.

Josh Hartnett...really?

Why not? He's no Brando but he's capable of what the role requires.

Perhaps but for me he sticks out like a sore thumb on that list.

Oldman is superb in those films, note perfect. I watched the first one again over Christmas, and for the life of me I can't work out why I didn't enjoy it in the cinema. It was great!

In regards to Glengarry Glenross there is not one single poor acting performance in that movie. Everyone plays their roles to perfection.

i thought De Niro in Heat was a brilliant performance and lets not forget the coffee shop scene too.

Robert Shaw in Jaws as Quint is awesome. Surprised it has not been mentioned already.

Gene Hackman in The French Connection is also a great performance.

Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man

Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke.

The list could go on and on but those stood out to me.

as far as TV is concerned Robbie Coltrane in Cracker and James Gandolfini in The Sopranos were brilliant.

Out of curiosity Seven who would you say those 10 actors are?

Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Vincent Cassel, Michael Keaton, Brady Corbet, Jeremy Renner, Josh Hartnett, Chris Pine, Johnny Depp, Cillian Murphy.

Ok I thought about it a little, but I stand by it.

Also, fuck Lost In Translation and everything to do with it.

After watching Bronson I thought Tom Hardy would be a more than suitable and capable replacement for Heath Ledger if they ever decided to reprise the Joker character.

My Picks:

Joe Pesci- Goodfellas- Despite quite obviously being a mentally unhinged lunatic, he actually makes he's character seem quite likeable and funny!

Christopher Waltz- Inglorious Basterds- Just an amazing performence I never tire of watching.

Stephen Graham- This is England- So underrated is Stephen Graham it's almost criminal. He needs more exposure!

Alan Ford- Snatch- Bricktop is probably my favourite character from any movie, of all time!

• Paid Members
Donnie Wahlberg is Saw II :confused:

Seriously sir, I genuinely enjoyed his performance in it. I only watched the rest of the Saw movies to see what ludicrous third acts they'd chunder up, but Wahlberg in Saw II was a strong point to me, and I'd put it up against many a 'lauded' acting performance. His acting in Saw III & IV were laughable at points, but I can't fault him there, given that he was contractually obliged and just going through the motions. Good picture too, much better than the any of the rest in the 'series'...

A few that spring to mind-

Marisa Tomei- Mona Lisa Vito in My Cousin Vinny

Dennis Hopper- Frank Booth in Blue Velvet

Robert Forster- Max Cherry in Jackie Brown

I agree hugely with the last one!

I'm frankly a little obsessive about C-list character actors. The kind who turn up in an episode of Star Trek or Homicide looking vaguely familiar. US tv is built on their grounded performances.

Robert Forster in that film is as good as Robert Mitchum. The fact he's otherwise worked in the cheap seats is a tragedy.

• Paid Members
I'm frankly a little obsessive about C-list character actors. The kind who turn up in an episode of Star Trek or Homicide looking vaguely familiar. US tv is built on their grounded performances.

See also - Daniel Benzali, M Emmet Walsh, JT Walsh, John de Lancie, Luis Guzman, Stephen Tobolowsky, Martin Balsam and so many more. Love the lot of them.

Archived