Your favourite acting performances

Murtz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker in "The Thick of It" - the show is heavily lauded for the swearing on display, but it would all be a pointless exercise without Capaldi, who is genuinely terrifying and intimidating as Tucker.

Gotta second this one, Peter Capaldi is so fucking immense. And while i'm on TV shows i'll stick in these shouts:

William Shatner as Denny Crane in Boston Legal: Easily Shatners finest performance ever and that's coming from a huge Star Trek nerd. He can be charming, funny, serious, unbelievebly arrogant and downright sleezy all in the same scene and the way Denny and Alan interact with each other is truely brilliant(in particular the balcony scenes between the two are fantastic).

In fact fuck it i'll include James Spader as Alan Shore as well cos he's also fucking awesome.

Shelly Morrison as Rosario Salazar in Will & Grace: Ok if you can just refrain from ripping into me for being a WAG fan for one second i'll make my point. Rosario was one of the best characters in the entire show, the dynamic between her and Megan Mullally was spot on and one of the highlights of the show. Even when it went to dogshit in series 7 she remained fantastic throughout. It really says a lot because she was only supposed to be a one off character in the first series yet she became so popular she was brought back in series 2 and written into the main cast by series 3.

I'll throw in some shouts for acting in movies when i've had a think cos there's a lot.

For Joker? I'm not saying he couldn't do it, and I'm a huge fan, but he didn't pop into my head. He can be menacing, he can do manic, but I reckon if I was to cast him as a Batman villain, my instinct would be someone like Two-Face or Hush.

Definitely. Got to throw Hal Holbrook in there too.

He was great in Sons Of Anarchy. A real tear-jerking performance.

Mitch Pileggi and J K Simmons are two others who I'm always pleased to see, though Schillinger was such a great character it's hard not to see him every time.

On the subject of Sons... I was delighted to recognise Ray from Reef Radio in the last 2 series. This is the first time I've seen him since those classic ads.

• Paid Members
Definitely. Got to throw Hal Holbrook in there too.

He was great in Sons Of Anarchy. A real tear-jerking performance.

He's got a great back catalogue of films and TV. I thought he was especially great in All The President's Men and The Fog.

Between Sons Of Anarchy and The Shield, I think it's fair to say that Kurt Sutter is good at putting the right actor with the right role.

Loki, you're a Deadwood fan. Do you rate Timothy Olyphant? A lot of fans of that show seem to think he's the weak link.

Difficult one, Nev. On the first time through I tended to see him that way, but when I watched it again, he really grew on me. He's got the hardest part to play in the series, keeping all his emotion bottled up and not overacting the inner turmoil. Plus, his moustache is handsome.

Since then, everything I've seen him in has impressed me, even Hitman which I thought was a terrible piece of casting. Justified is great, really top notch. He reminds me of David Duchovny in that he's able to do butch and funny at the same time, which is hard.

Haven't seen Justified yet, is it worth a look? Walton Goggins is in it I believe.

As for Seth Bullock, I think he does a good job (I'm midway through season 2) however I do find myself constantly wondering just why he's so fucking angry all the time.

I have a theory on that. Basically, he came to Deadwood to get away from being a lawman and having to be the good guy, and just wanted to build a business, but ends up getting railroaded into the job again. Plus, he just doesn't really LIKE people very much.

I can't believe you haven't got onto Justified. Find a torrent as soon as.

Archived