Your favourite acting performances

Murtz

• Paid Members
He also had one of the easiest, most liberally creative roles of all time. Aaron Eckhart is so much better in that film.

What's your point? Yes the character is certainly open to interpretation, but I don't see how that makes it 'easier' to portray? You make it sound like anyone could've taken on that role, done a half arsed job and it would've been just as good, which is tosh.

the point is your opinion is as generic as an FCW battle royal

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find Forrest Whittaker incredibly annoying in everything I've seen him in. He tries too hard.

YES! I honestly can't stand anythings the mans ever been in.

I concur with most that have been mentioned so I'm going to go for Paul Bettany in Gangster No.1. The bloke is legit scary and a nutcase.

• Paid Members
He also had one of the easiest, most liberally creative roles of all time. Aaron Eckhart is so much better in that film.

What's your point? Yes the character is certainly open to interpretation, but I don't see how that makes it 'easier' to portray? You make it sound like anyone could've taken on that role, done a half arsed job and it would've been just as good, which is tosh.

the point is your opinion is as generic as an FCW battle royal

It's a popular opinion, which I already acknowledged in my initial post.

He was given so much creative freedom. He locked himself in a hotel room for a month just working on the voice alone. It's a very theatrical and expressive role, one that any decent actor could make a good stab at. I could name ten actors without having to really think about it that could slot into Ledger's position and do as good a job.

Harvey Dent on the other hand has to carry the film in many ways, as it's his rise and fall that affects everything around it. Eckhart's job is more difficult as he has to be less showy, more subtle and overall he has to win the affection of the audience despite being a foil for Batman and not as "cool" as Joker. Plus he has to 180 at the end, and considering how quickly and abruptly that transition happened, I thought he did a fantastic job.

Not saying Ledger's performance isn't a very good one, because it is, but it was always going to be as he was a great actor and the role was the type of thing an actor craves.

Indeed, truly exceptional performance, nuanced, clever and really well acted throughout. I would say it's become cool to hate it as opposed to love it.

And I would say you're a moron.

• Paid Members

Out of curiosity Seven who would you say those 10 actors are?

Oh and for me:

Bill Murray - Lost in Translation, I was absolutely gutted when he didn't win the Oscar over Sean Penn.

Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler, Bloody Sean Penn again!

Mo'Nique - Precious, one of the most intense performances of the last few years.

Out of curiosity Seven who would you say those 10 actors are?

Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Vincent Cassel, Michael Keaton, Brady Corbet, Jeremy Renner, Josh Hartnett, Chris Pine, Johnny Depp, Cillian Murphy.

Ok I thought about it a little, but I stand by it.

Also, fuck Lost In Translation and everything to do with it.

• Paid Members
I could name ten actors without having to really think about it that could slot into Ledger's position and do as good a job.

Go on then. I agree with what you say 100%, I'm just interested to see who you would pick.

• Paid Members

Timothy Olyphant on his day really glued me to the screen, especially in the Girl Next Door.

Michael Keaton in the Dream Team, Beetlejuice, Jackie Brown and Batman. His monologue as Bruce Wayne to the Joker, which rounded off nicely with the legendary 'You wanngitnutssss? C'mow...lessgitnutsssss" was - and still is - a jaw dropping, phenomenal performance.

Bill Paxton as Hudson and Chet in Aliens and Weird Science, respectively.

Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet

John Goodman and Jeff Bridges' duo in the Big L

Vincent Cassel in Irreversible and Mesrine

Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates

Christopher Guest in Best In Show

Emilio Estevez in parts of Young Guns (the first one) was brilliant

Donnie Wahlberg in Saw II

Patrick Warburton as The Tick

Jennifer Jason Leigh in pretty much anything she's done

Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive

Alexis Texas with some Chinaman in Anal Addicts 17. There's no way in piss she could have gotten the pleasure that was etched on her face throughout from what appeared to be a 4 inch penis...

• Paid Members
Alexis Texas with some Chinaman in Anal Addicts 17. There's no way in piss she could have gotten the pleasure that was etched on her face throughout from what appeared to be a 4 inch penis...

Especially with an arse that size. She truly is a legend.

I could name ten actors without having to really think about it that could slot into Ledger's position and do as good a job.

Go on then. I agree with what you say 100%, I'm just interested to see who you would pick.

Tis above your post yo.

Donnie Wahlberg in Saw II

Of all the things I've seen the Saw movies praised for, this is the first I've ever seen someone saying an acting performance was one of them.

Harvey Dent on the other hand has to carry the film in many ways, as it's his rise and fall that affects everything around it. Eckhart's job is more difficult as he has to be less showy, more subtle and overall he has to win the affection of the audience despite being a foil for Batman and not as "cool" as Joker. Plus he has to 180 at the end, and considering how quickly and abruptly that transition happened, I thought he did a fantastic job.

This is very, very good point and one that often gets overlooked. I don't want to get involved in the Ledger debate because I thought he was great, but Aaron Eckhart is severely underrated in The Dark Knight. Subtle is the key word, if he'd have played it all in your face and ridiculous the whole thing would seem farcical.

Archived