Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Whiskey_Jim

• Paid Members

What bothers me about the Rumble these days is that WWE seem to put too much emphasis on 'the numbers' and on trying to get guys over simply by breaking records rather than concentrating their efforts on putting together a well constructed match and telling proper stories. It's lazy booking, but with a record number of entrants I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the records for the most eliminations and longest survival broken. Probably by Sheamus and Morrison, as previously mentioned.

The surprise entrant winning is also pretty lame I think. It was alright when Cena did it, but I thought last year's Rumble was shit, with a podgy Edge winning it.

I'm actually hoping Del Rio wins it this year. He's been pushed as a top contender, so it wouldn't be a shock, but it would just be nice for it to be someone who hasn't already had a run at the top.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nodq.com

- Big Show, Chris Masters, JTG, Kane, Kofi Kingston, Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov are seven new names that WWE has just announced to be added to Sunday's Royal Rumble match.

There are now a total of 34 men advertised. Cody Rhodes has been removed from the list of entrants, and six spots are still unadvertised.

From ewrestlingnews concerning a rumoured surprise entrant and a reason as to why they are even more strongly rumoured now:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

A few weeks back there were rumors that Booker T was in discussions with WWE about a possible return. To add fuel to that fire is the news that the six-time world champion has canceled his scheduled appearance at this weekend's New Orleans Comic Con at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Regarding a surprise appearance at Sunday's Royal Rumble pay-per-view, he was in discussions with World Wrestling Entertainment officials a few weeks ago regarding a potential return as noted above.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Also I wouldn't be too surprised if we see Triple H make an appearance and possibly even win the Rumble, I'd be a bit annoyed if he did though as I've got a bit bored of superstars returning and winning the Rumble now as it's got a bit easy to guess when it comes down to the surprise return and someone else, I'd rather see someone really surprising win, someone get a real push rather than someone who has already won the Rumble or main evented Wrestlemania before, but then I suppose there's a bit of a gamble there putting a fresh face in the Wrestlemania main event but at the end of the day the group of reoccuring Wrestlemania main eventers had to have their first main event there at one point.

Just seen this on Wrestlezone.com (I know, I know) but thought i'd post it anyway, regarding a potential suprise entrant in the Rumble match.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

We received the following email from a WrestleZone reader who wished to remain anonymous:

"I have a friend who works in the airline industry and he confirmed to me today that Kevin Nash is booked on a Saturday flight from Atlanta to Boston. Could he be a surprise entrant or just visiting friends?"

While we normally wouldn't post a submission like this due to the lack of evidence involved, we did a little digging and now have further information that supports the possibility of Kevin Nash being a surprise entrant into the Royal Rumble.

First, recent reports have all but confirmed that Nash would be heading back to TNA. The plan was for him to get involved in Kurt Angle's fight against Immortal (along with Scott Steiner, Sting, and Bobby Lashley - the latter two of which have been rumored to return as well). However, we have heard through multiple TNA employees that Nash is now backing out of his deal with TNA. It hasn't been said that the reason is due to a potential return to WWE, but we can definitely confirm that Kevin Nash will NOT be returning to TNA anytime soon.

None of this confirms that Kevin Nash will be returning to the WWE at the Royal Rumble or any time in the future necessarily, but it's been no secret to anyone that knows Nash that he would like to end his wrestling career in the WWE.

With no ties to someone else (TNA), his friend Shawn Michaels being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, and the aforementioned coincidences adding up, the timing couldn't be better for Big Sexy to make his return up North.

Kevin Nash was last seen on WWE television on August 24th, 2003. He competed in an Elimination Chamber match for the World Heavyweight Championship against Triple H (defending Champion), Chris Jericho, Goldberg, Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels. Nash was the first to be eliminated and Triple H ended up retaining his title.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely certain that Alberto Del Rio will be one of the first entrants. Reckon he'll be #1 making his grand entrance and a returning Christian will be entrant #2.

If Triple H does return I don't think he will win it as well. A showdown between him and Sheamus can do go down in the middle of the match, after Sheamus has made a decent impact, eliminating a bunch of guys, they then eliminate each other and continue to brawl outside afterward, out of sight while officials try to pull them apart.

Can see a fair few happenings going down really with it being extended, plenty of angles. Many keep saying they want to see a Nexus-Corre face off, I'd like to see them unite to eliminate Big Show, then either as the next entrant or as a tease returning entrant the lights go out and *gong* with only/mainly Nexus and Corre lads in the ring.

Some random thoughts:

* Surely Triple H and Sheamus won't be wrestling each other for a second year in a row at WM27. Does anybody want to see that match ever again, let alone at a WM? HHH would be much better off being used elsewhere on the card.

* Also, surely Shango won't be in it? Wade Barrett would be read the riot act if he gave away a surprise like that. He must have been joking.

* Anyone but fucking Haku would be a good surprise. Well, except Booker T, that is.

Some random thoughts:

* Surely Triple H and Sheamus won't be wrestling each other for a second year in a row at WM27. Does anybody want to see that match ever again, let alone at a WM? HHH would be much better off being used elsewhere on the card.

* Also, surely Shango won't be in it? Wade Barrett would be read the riot act if he gave away a surprise like that. He must have been joking.

* Anyone but fucking Haku would be a good surprise. Well, except Booker T, that is.

What's wrong with Haku? He'd fuck anybody up if he was in there! Haku would be a great suprise. 10 years on!! Oh yeah!

• Paid Members

Surely they will. Doesn't matter what we want. Trips return to take revenge on the guy that put him out, "King of Kings" coming back to reclaim the throne, figuratively speaking, from the King of the Ring, is the easiest most logical thing in the world to book.

Some random thoughts:

What's wrong with Haku? He'd fuck anybody up if he was in there! Haku would be a great suprise. 10 years on!! Oh yeah!

I thought Haku was the worst surprise entrant ever. He's just so utterly dull - from his music and entrance, to character and in-ring performances. There was just no need for him to come back.

In the days leading up to that Rumble everyone online was buzzing with anticipation as to who the surprise entrant would be. Imagine if, this year, instead of Triple H, Chris Jericho, Booker T or Kevin Nash, you got Haku? It'd be even worse than Savio Vega being in the main event of No Way Out '98.

• Paid Members

Imagine if, this year, AS WELL AS Triple H, Chris Jericho, Booker T or Kevin Nash, you got Haku? It would be fucking brilliant.

I'm holding out for Lesnar, Sting and Batista, but accept I'll probably get none of them.

So I'd settle for Steve Keirn, David Sammartino and Jim Powers.

Archived