Lesser-Known films YOU like!

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Have to agree with you with "Chopper". Brilliantly hilarious film.

I'll throw in "Champions".....

Champions: "The film is based on the true story of Bob Champion (portrayed by John Hurt), who was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1979. After treatment with an operation to remove the diseased testicle and chemotherapy, Champion recovered and went on to win the 1981 Grand National steeple chase on his horse Aldaniti."

The film "The Boost" with James Woods and Sean Young is quite decent too.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta agree with Chopper, I watch it over and over and have for years, me and my mate could probably quote the entire script.

Some good mentions in here but some weird ones like Predator.

Just looking at my pile of dvds I'm rewatching at the side of me now I have:

Tremors 1 - 4: The first is a must see classic, arguably the greatest monster B-movie of all time. The sequels are cheaper, sillier but fun movies always featuring the iconic weapon obsessed Burt Gummer. I still need to get the TV series one day, it came out recently.

Maniac Cop trilogy: A cash in on the Michael Myers/ Jason Voorhees type characters, a huge unstoppable cop called Matt Cordell does the killings amongst people trying to stop him are Robert Davi & Bruce Campbell.

Hamburger Hill: The vietnam movie over shadowed by Platoon & Full Metal Jacket is still a good watch.

Born On The Fourth Of July: Amazing film probably Tom Cruise's best acting work.

Casualties Of War: If you think Michael J Fox in vietnam sounds wank I wouldn't blame you but he was Marty McFly so that makes him the perfect babyface against the heels led by a brilliant Sean Penn. Great film.

Fatal Beauty: Almost forgotten Whoopi Goldberg film from the 80's. Sorta like a female Axl Foley she teams up with Sam Elliott to wage the war on drug dealers including the always good Brad Dourif as the main foe.

Monster Man: Horror with a touch of comedy about a monster that chases his foes in a Monster Truck. None of my friends had heard of this to my surprise (they are big into horror) and I watched it with them and they really liked it.

Extreme Prejudice: 80's actioner with a complex but easy to follow plot. Ace cast inc. Nick Nolte, Powers Boothe, Michael Ironside, William Forsythe, Rip Torn, Clancey Brown & Zeus! My fave Walter Hill film, a modern day western.

Southern Comfort: Another Walter Hill movie, squad of soldiers get picked off one by one in the Louisiana swamps. Like the bridge between Deliverance & Predator. Has my favourite poster of any film

southern_comfort_1981.jpg

I'll stop there but I could go on forever.

I'm a big fan of the theory of comedy, so I love Funny Bones. It's Lee Evans at the peak of his powers as the tragic clown idiot genius, Jerry Lewis as the aging sellout comic and Oliver Platt as his useless son, desperately trying to fill the old man's shoes. Some of the comedy is genuinely excellent, particularly the police interview Evans has, and the film has incredible pathos too. Also, it has the most amazing portrait of Blackpool ever put on film. It's well worth two hours of anyone's time.

• Paid Members

Assassination of a High School President

Assassination of a High School President is a 2009 American film noir-comedy film, directed by Brett Simon, written by Tim Calpin and Kevin Jakubowski, and starring Reece Thompson, Bruce Willis, Mischa Barton and Michael Rapaport. It premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival and garnered rave reviews.

At a Catholic high school, the popular girl teams up with a sophomore newspaper reporter to investigate a case of stolen SAT exams. Once the duo target their suspects, a larger conspiracy is unearthed.

1/ Wet Hot American Summer-piss take of workers at a summer camp, totally tomgue in cheek with a cast including Paul Rudd, Janeane Garofalo, Niles from Frasier, and Elizabeth Banks

2/ Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion-w/ Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino in the leading roles-again a tongue in cheek type comedy. Really good.

I like Romy and Michelle, especially because it has Janine Garofalo in it. I have a bit of a thing for her. I haven't seen Wet Hot American Summer but given my last statement I need to check it out.

My choices will probably be hated but meh!

1) Hercules Returns

One of the best comedies of all time without question. A relatively unknown Australian cast redubbing an italian sword and sandles movie. Sounds simple but gets better the longer it goes.

2) Blackball

Under rated british comedy with Paul Kaye & James Cromwell. Good support from Bernard Cribbins & Vince Vaughan too.

3) Ski Patrol

Police Academy on skis. Cheesy as hell but still makes me chuckle. Nice to see an early George Lopez and Dumpster... nuff said.

My choices will probably be hated but meh!

3) Ski Patrol

Police Academy on skis. Cheesy as hell but still makes me chuckle. Nice to see an early George Lopez and Dumpster... nuff said.

No they won't, I've had this on VHS for about 19 years, its a 4Front video classic lol. Totally should be looked up by fans of Police Academy type humour. The midget and the growth pills prank is hilarious. :laugh:

• Paid Members

I'm not 100% sure whether this would count but with some of the titles that have been mentioned I think I could get away with expressing my love for "Don't Look Now".

dontlooknow3.jpg

One of my favorite horror/thriller films that doesn't get anywhere near the praise it deserves (well, not that I've come across anyway). The ending is one of the most unusual and disturbing twists I've ever seen and still makes me feel a bit uneasy today. The build-up to it focuses on Donald Sutherland (particularly) trying to get over the death of his daughter. Throughout he's haunted by visions of his daughter running around in her "trademark" red coat. There's a bizarre supernatural element brought in that SHOULD come across as ridiculous and campy but somehow manages to work and adds to the feel of danger as it makes things far less predictable.

Maniac Cop trilogy: A cash in on the Michael Myers/ Jason Voorhees type characters, a huge unstoppable cop called Matt Cordell does the killings amongst people trying to stop him are Robert Davi & Bruce Campbell.

Monster Man: Horror with a touch of comedy about a monster that chases his foes in a Monster Truck. None of my friends had heard of this to my surprise (they are big into horror) and I watched it with them and they really liked it.

Good shouts there! Monster Man really does deserve to be more widely known about, it's a cracking film and probably in my top 5 horror films of the decade.

On the horror subject, there is a British horror film called Wilderness which I remember really enjoying. A group of prisoners set up camp on an island as part of a morale-boost/teamworking exercise, and start getting picked off one by one. Worth a watch. Storm Warning was decent too, and isn't mentioned much, although you'll probably be nursing a semi over the lead actress for the duration.

Romper Stomper is pretty good, and is the kind of movie I'd expect to have a large cult following, but I never hear/see it mentioned. Similarly, Alpha Dog from I think 2008 deserves a lot more love, even just for Ben Foster's crazy-as-fuck fight scene. Even then, Emile Hirsch and Justin Timberlake are impressive too.

Not necessarily lesser-known these two, but not watched/discussed as much as they deserve to be - The Assassination Of Jesse James is an incredible film, probably my second favourite of all time, and Into The Wild is absolutely beautiful too and would probably make my top 10.

Oh, and Hot Rod is my favourite comedy of the last 10 years. Brilliant film, and I was gutted when I found I had left it over Uni at the Christmas break. "Who am I gonna build ramps for? WHO AM I GONNA BUILD RAMPS FOR NOW?!" Danny McBride fucking owns the film.

1/ Wet Hot American Summer-piss take of workers at a summer camp, totally tomgue in cheek with a cast including Paul Rudd, Janeane Garofalo, Niles from Frasier, and Elizabeth Banks

2/ Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion-w/ Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino in the leading roles-again a tongue in cheek type comedy. Really good.

I like Romy and Michelle, especially because it has Janine Garofalo in it. I have a bit of a thing for her. I haven't seen Wet Hot American Summer but given my last statement I need to check it out.

Re: Janeane Garofalo love-me too! I cant even quite work out my fascination with her. She also did a film equally lesser-know with Jerry Stiller( He was George Constanza's dad in Seinfield) called The Independent, about this indpendent fil director who plays by his own rules when it comes to fim making and appears to have been cast aside by Hollywoos, Much in the same vein as the other two films it totally playing it for laughs.

Archived