Lesser-Known films YOU like!

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Anyone seen The Last Great Wilderness? It's not really a horror or a thriller, it's one of the meandering mysteries that obviously are influenced by David Lynch. It's great stuff - and Victoria Smurfit gets them out!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll echo the love for Hercules Returns. That was a drunken highlight of many, many evenings when I was at uni. "Pick the bones outta that one!" was a recurring catchphrase amongst my mates.

I'll also echo the love for Janeane Garofalo. If her and Christina Ricci somehow merged into one person, I think I'd kill every other man on the planet just to ensure I had a shot.

• Paid Members

Splitting heirs. Its kind of shit but I liked it for some reason. I have it taped off TV some where but haven't watched it in a fair while now.

I also enjoyed Needful Things wiki says it was called, which wasn't my type of film really.

Which reminds me, The Phantom of the Paradise is an under-sung camp classic. The plot doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny, some vague Faustian deal and that's it really, but it's a bucket load of fun. Apparently it's massive in one city in Canada, and it bombed everywhere else. I'm with the Canucks.

Good man! Still one of my favourite films. Check out the French special Edition DVD with DePalma doc

Good shouts with Bringing Out the Dead, Cop Land and Ghostdog: Way of the Samurai Pat! Some cracking and overlooked films there. Have many on here seen Dressed to Kill? That's very underrated, as is much of De Palma's work (particularly the aforementioned Blow Out).

Big De Palma fanboy here. I know he's often dismissed as nothing more than a Hitchcock imitator but I've always thought he's a lot more than that. Dressed To Kill is great but The Fury, Femme Fatale and Snake Eyes are all underrated, and Casualties Of War is a really underrated Vietnam film.

Which reminds me, The Phantom of the Paradise is an under-sung camp classic. The plot doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny, some vague Faustian deal and that's it really, but it's a bucket load of fun. Apparently it's massive in one city in Canada, and it bombed everywhere else. I'm with the Canucks.

Gladstone, I too am a massive fan of Phantom of the Paradise! My fiance bought it for me on DVD last year and has earned my everlasting love for that :p Camp, kitsch and extremely strange but hey, I do have a lot of love for it.

I'm not sure if this one would be classed as lesser-known or not. It had some hype surrounding it when first out but not much talk since.

514Li7kq1-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Defo worth a watch, some good dialogue and characterisation make up for a somewhat predictable storyline. Worth the

• Paid Members
BBC 2 has some great lesser known films on late at night occasionally, 3 that've been on in the last few years that I'd recommend are The Station Agent, Roger Dodger and Happiness

remember watching Roger Dodger back in the day, me and few buddies went through a stage where we would rent random movies and watch 'em. That was one of the movies, i don't think it's a film best suited to a 'mates chilling' situation, i need to see it again.

I actually got it on dvd, it weirdly came as part of a rom-com collection that my dad collected free from the Daily Mail a couple of years ago.

• Paid Members
Speaking of Pauly Shore, anybody else seen California Man? I love that film.

Yeah, I watched that over Christmas. I watched it when I was little and remember loving it and was slightly disappointed it was kind of direction less and not so funny when your not about 8. Still fun mind.

Also Pauly Shore was kind of irritating quick.

I will say I liked Cannibal The Musical last time I watched that, but not seen it in a while. I'll have to try and find it cheap some where and see how it hold up.

My all-time favourite "It's so bad it's good" movie is called R.O.T.O.R It is basically a Robocop/Terminator rip off with a moustached fat guy as the invincible killing machine and every actor in the movie dubbed horrendously. It also stars a female bodybuilder with a mullet hair-do which is coloured like a skunk. Where else on earth would you find that?

Here is an in depth review of the movie: http://www.jabootu.com/rotor.htm

And here is part 1 of the movie on Youtube. Honestly if you have 70 minutes spare please watch this. My mission is to give this pile of shit the audience it deserves:

Archived