The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Kenta Kobashi?

Have any old fans of the brilliant Shufflepuck Cafe tried the modern remake that came out last month? I'm tempted to put down the 7 quid but I'm just worried that the physics won't feel right, I've already been burnt by the god awful Flashback remake.

• 2 weeks later...
Been looking into getting into the Sega Saturn and was wondering if anyone on here in the know thinks it is worth the time and money and if so what games to look out for?

Yes, yes it is

Sega Rally and most of the Sega arcade ports, inc TT Racer, House of the Dead, Touring Cars, Virtua Cop, Die Hard Arcade, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua On are worth seeking out

Daytona is hit and miss (so is touring cars if you are a frame rate snob) Virtua Racing should be avoided

Plenty of other fine games including

Burning Rangers

Guardian Heroes

Nights into Dreams

Saturn Bomberman

Doom/ Quake/ Duke Nukem

Loads of others

• Paid Members

Sega Saturn for me is the worst console I've owned. Half the games Pat named are multi-platform games you can get better versions of elsewhere, the better exclusive games are barely worth playing or have been re-released on modern consoles with updated features. It's a completely nothing console and it's blindingly obvious why it bombed.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I second that. If you're going for a cheap old console that just bombards you with classic first party titles, Gamecube is the one. Even off the top of my head it has -

Pikmin 1, 2

Zelda Wind Waker

Zelda Twilight Princess

Mario Kart Double Dash

Smash Bros Melee

Paper Mario 1000 Year Door

F-Zero GX

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Sunshine

Tales of Symphonia

Animal Crossing

Mario Party 4, 5, 6

Metroid Prime 1, 2

Then if you're after updated/3rd party stuff, it has the exclusive remake of Resident Evil 1, which is by far the best version of that game. It also had 2, 3, 0 and (I think) Code Veronica

Soul Calibur 2, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (again, the best version of MGS 1 and 2), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Mega Collection, and Resident Evil 4.

Fuck, when you list them off like that it was just an amazing little console wasn't it?

Yeah, I second that. If you're going for a cheap old console that just bombards you with classic first party titles, Gamecube is the one. Even off the top of my head it has -

Pikmin 1, 2

Zelda Wind Waker

Zelda Twilight Princess

Mario Kart Double Dash

Smash Bros Melee

F-Zero GX

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Sunshine

Tales of Symphonia

Animal Crossing

Mario Party 4, 5, 6

Metroid Prime 1, 2

Then if you're after updated/3rd party stuff, it has the exclusive remake of Resident Evil 1, which is by far the best version of that game. It also had 2, 3, 0 and (I think) Code Veronica

Soul Calibur 2, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (again, the best version of MGS 1 and 2), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Mega Collection, and Resident Evil 4.

Fuck, when you list them off like that it was just an amazing little console wasn't it?

Absolutely. I'm about halfway through collecting all the PAL releases for it, love the machine. Some of those titles will cost you a wee bit now though. The games you listed there would set you back around

• Paid Members

Pikmin 1, 2

Zelda Wind Waker

Zelda Twilight Princess

Mario Kart Double Dash

Smash Bros Melee

F-Zero GX

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Sunshine

Tales of Symphonia

Animal Crossing

Mario Party 4, 5, 6

Metroid Prime 1, 2

Absolutely. I'm about halfway through collecting all the PAL releases for it, love the machine. Some of those titles will cost you a wee bit now though. The games you listed there would set you back around

• Paid Members
You can play Gamecube games on the Wii? I never knew that!

Yup. Fully designed to be backwards compatible. No slowdown in games or odd bugs as far as I'm aware. The flap on top of the Wii opens up to reveal 4 GC control ports and 2 memory card ports.