The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, FLips said:

That's usually where I give up too (that level, not that many stars, I think my N64 file is on about 80). In all these years I still can't figure out the flying momentum or mechanics, I just dip up and down until I run out of speed and fall to my death.

I have done it before in the past but no idea how. Probably blind luck. Trying to get a triple jump off those small clouds is hard enough, and then when you fall you're dumped in the fucking moat and have to climb all the way back. Nah. I've finished it.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

To the surprise of nobody, my collection for the PS2 I have no attachment to is expanding more than I initially anticipated. The combination of cheap prices and "I forgot about that one" is making a big pile.

There are definitely cases where the rose tinted glasses are falling off straight away. Even at the shocking low price of £1 each, Conflict Desert Storm 1 and 2 don't hold up at all. I remember having a blast on them back in the day but improvements in the genre have left them feeling unworthy of even the £1 price tag. Really choppy framerates and clunky controls leave me wanting. It would actually cost me more in bus fare to return them than I would get back in a refund though so they're here to stay.

Smackdown Here Comes The Pain is still the best wrestling game ever made. Spent hours on it yesterday with my mate and we could have played it for hours more. Brilliant roster mix of stars and shit, more match types than I think I can remember in any game that's followed it including our old favourite Wrestlemania 16 style hardcore time limit scramble match. The controls are easy to learn and easy to master which is great for back and forth trades on top of Hell in a Cell or when you're both on red damage and need to get your finish in.

Crazy Taxi was a pleasant surprise as I thought only the Dreamcast version had the official licensed stuff in but the PS2 port does too. KFC and Offspring make a great combo. This is my wife's jam though so I do my best to not beat her high scores on it (though to be fair she's really good so I probably couldn't anyway).

Bomberman Hardball was also a sleeper hit and for a paltry £3.50. It's got classic Bomberman Battle mode with dozens upon dozens of customisation options. Seesaws, Conveyors, Pits, Tubes, combos of some of them and all of them. The AI is too hard though, we were getting picked apart by Medium AI and it wasn't even close. They package this with Tennis, Golf and Baseball modes too. I haven't played Golf yet but Tennis was simple fun and not too dissimilar to Mario Tennis without the special moves.
Baseball is the main game mode though and a lot of effort has went into it, letting you play exhibition or a full pennant race season mode with fully customisable teams with individual players and stats. Japan takes baseball seriously even in a Bomberman spinoff.
There's a Tamagochi style "Life" mode too where you can customise and name a Bomberman who walks about in his bedroom and you can have him watch full AI matches of the game modes on his little CRT. It speaks to me in a way I never thought a Bomberman game would. Well worth the price of admission but my only gripe is they could have had more fun with the sports games, special moves and bombs instead of balls are missed opportunities.

Crash Nitro Kart is a PS2 Crash Team Racing. Very good stuff and plays exactly how you'd expect. Not a shock they combined it into the modern remake of Crash Team Racing as it has a lot of good stuff to offer. Less can be said about Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and even less about Spyro Enter the Dragonfly. Actually sad how far they both fell from grace for such a long time.

Crash Twinsanity is still an absolute blast though and is probably the best one they've done outside the original trilogy. It's a great fork in the path from the usual gameplay style and the writing/voice performances absolutely crack me up. Dr Cortex zapping Coco and putting a blonde wig on to lure Crash out has me chuckling like I don't know.

Been playing The Lord of The Rings: The Third Age which I'm really enjoying. It's Lord of The Rings with Final Fantasy X's battle system and a skill system not too unlike the Materia system in 7 combined with the system in IX wherein every time you use a skill you get 1SP and that goes towards unlocking more skills in that tree. It's presented as random encounters but it's not, they're set in specific places tied to quests you're doing so the aim is to do all the side stuff to increase your encounters and level up. I think it has a lot to offer but a full open game with proper random encounters might have people talking about it more than they do now. If you like RPGs and the LoTR Trilogy though you've got a lot to enjoy here.

IMG_9420.jpeg

Edited by FLips

So Elephant & Castle is my next CEX stop and it's a mixed bag

The Retro selection is solid with a good variety of consoles and games but the arrangement was a bit all over the place and seemed quite disorganised 

Also I faced the dreaded staff member with nothing to do situation where they ask if you need help and continue to hover around incase I steal a random ps3 case

22 hours ago, FLips said:

To the surprise of nobody, my collection for the PS2 I have no attachment to is expanding more than I initially anticipated. The combination of cheap prices and "I forgot about that one" is making a big pile.

There are definitely cases where the rose tinted glasses are falling off straight away. Even at the shocking low price of £1 each, Conflict Desert Storm 1 and 2 don't hold up at all. I remember having a blast on them back in the day but improvements in the genre have left them feeling unworthy of even the £1 price tag. Really choppy framerates and clunky controls leave me wanting. It would actually cost me more in bus fare to return them than I would get back in a refund though so they're here to stay.

Smackdown Here Comes The Pain is still the best wrestling game ever made. Spent hours on it yesterday with my mate and we could have played it for hours more. Brilliant roster mix of stars and shit, more match types than I think I can remember in any game that's followed it including our old favourite Wrestlemania 16 style hardcore time limit scramble match. The controls are easy to learn and easy to master which is great for back and forth trades on top of Hell in a Cell or when you're both on red damage and need to get your finish in.

Crazy Taxi was a pleasant surprise as I thought only the Dreamcast version had the official licensed stuff in but the PS2 port does too. KFC and Offspring make a great combo. This is my wife's jam though so I do my best to not beat her high scores on it (though to be fair she's really good so I probably couldn't anyway).

Bomberman Hardball was also a sleeper hit and for a paltry £3.50. It's got classic Bomberman Battle mode with dozens upon dozens of customisation options. Seesaws, Conveyors, Pits, Tubes, combos of some of them and all of them. The AI is too hard though, we were getting picked apart by Medium AI and it wasn't even close. They package this with Tennis, Golf and Baseball modes too. I haven't played Golf yet but Tennis was simple fun and not too dissimilar to Mario Tennis without the special moves.
Baseball is the main game mode though and a lot of effort has went into it, letting you play exhibition or a full pennant race season mode with fully customisable teams with individual players and stats. Japan takes baseball seriously even in a Bomberman spinoff.
There's a Tamagochi style "Life" mode too where you can customise and name a Bomberman who walks about in his bedroom and you can have him watch full AI matches of the game modes on his little CRT. It speaks to me in a way I never thought a Bomberman game would. Well worth the price of admission but my only gripe is they could have had more fun with the sports games, special moves and bombs instead of balls are missed opportunities.

Crash Nitro Kart is a PS2 Crash Team Racing. Very good stuff and plays exactly how you'd expect. Not a shock they combined it into the modern remake of Crash Team Racing as it has a lot of good stuff to offer. Less can be said about Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and even less about Spyro Enter the Dragonfly. Actually sad how far they both fell from grace for such a long time.

Crash Twinsanity is still an absolute blast though and is probably the best one they've done outside the original trilogy. It's a great fork in the path from the usual gameplay style and the writing/voice performances absolutely crack me up. Dr Cortex zapping Coco and putting a blonde wig on to lure Crash out has me chuckling like I don't know.

Been playing The Lord of The Rings: The Third Age which I'm really enjoying. It's Lord of The Rings with Final Fantasy X's battle system and a skill system not too unlike the Materia system in 7 combined with the system in IX wherein every time you use a skill you get 1SP and that goes towards unlocking more skills in that tree. It's presented as random encounters but it's not, they're set in specific places tied to quests you're doing so the aim is to do all the side stuff to increase your encounters and level up. I think it has a lot to offer but a full open game with proper random encounters might have people talking about it more than they do now. If you like RPGs and the LoTR Trilogy though you've got a lot to enjoy here.

IMG_9420.jpeg

I picked up Silent Hill 2 on Sunday and managed to nab 3 off eBay today

London games Market on Sunday so I'm hoping to get Silent Hill 1 at the end of the day when people are packing up

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Big Bully Busick said:

I picked up Silent Hill 2 on Sunday and managed to nab 3 off eBay today

London games Market on Sunday so I'm hoping to get Silent Hill 1 at the end of the day when people are packing up

Sounds like a decent day out. 

GOG are rereleasing the original trio of Resident Evil games on PC, all fully patched up to work on modern hardware. Before you had to mess about with multiple third-party mods and the like and have an original CD or bootlegged ISO.

• Paid Members

I’m sure we had a videogame boss music thread but I can’t find it. The announcement of the Dead Rising Remaster has me remembering this banger that made me panic whenever I left the mall and it started playing.

• Paid Members

I know it was mentioned for iPhone and iPad but RetroArch is also available on Apple TV. We’ve connected our Xbox controls and my wife and daughter been playing World of Illusion. 

Separately Apple TV is a great piece of kit, best steamer out there. It’s quite expensive compared to Chromecast and Firesticks but I guess you get what you pay for.