Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Saw Deadpool on friday, and its fantastic. 

i wouldn't say its the best comic book movie ever, but its probably in the top 10 behind the likes of Guardians/Winter soldier/Avengers etc.

you could tell it had a low budget (compared to other movies at least), but with self referencing jokes about that, it fit right in. I'm hoping the next one / the potential X force movie is a slightly higher budget, but only a little bit, as otherwise this fits perfectly.

Also What time line does this fit in?

From what i can see its all "present" day?

• Paid Members
Also What time line does this fit in?

We've done this, haven't we?

I was thinking about that, and timeline wise they could manage it, assuming Deadpool is set in the altered post-Days present day and thus the original fate of Wade at the hands of Stryker/becoming "Weapon XI" has now not happened.

Although as comic fans, multiverses and "they're all just stories" can excuse stuff not all fitting together unless its explicitly stated that they're supposed to fit together, like the flashbacks to previous films.

Yeah, I think the official answer is that Days totally changed the time line from then onwards, so anything post 1970's (I think Wolverine Origins is in 1979?) either didn't happen or has been altered. Although when you think about why certain people are different races/alive in different times, that kind of messes it up a bit but "generally" its ok, and I don't mind it hah.

So, in my head it's set in the present but the altered present where everything that's happened post-70s of Days can have taken place in a completely different way, rendering Origins, X-Men 1-3 and The Wolverine as an alternate timeline. Which is the only decent explanation for Wade leading the life he did to end up as Deadpool instead of becoming Weapon XI and killing all his old mates.

I'm thinking more in relation to future X movies. the next one is set in the 80's, i belive, so what we need another 3 or 4 movies before he turns up in xmen? As per the above, I'd figured all X movies going forward are post DOFP/alterted time line stuff, just thinking about if/when we might see Mr pool with either Xmen or Xforce?

As an example, Psylocke is in Apocalypse....yet thats in the 1980's.......so for a sequel to a 2016 deadpool movie, for x-force, she'd have to have aged like 30 years, making her what like 50 at best for X-force? 

• Paid Members

I'm thinking more in relation to future X movies. the next one is set in the 80's, i belive, so what we need another 3 or 4 movies before he turns up in xmen? As per the above, I'd figured all X movies going forward are post DOFP/alterted time line stuff, just thinking about if/when we might see Mr pool with either Xmen or Xforce?

As an example, Psylocke is in Apocalypse....yet thats in the 1980's.......so for a sequel to a 2016 deadpool movie, for x-force, she'd have to have aged like 30 years, making her what like 50 at best for X-force? 

X-Force, if it happens, is going to continue with the "new" present. And no, Psylocke is likely to not be in it.

rumoured X-Force roster of Cable, Deadpool, Warpath, Domino (!!), Cannonball, Feral and Boom-Boom

Although as Juan pointed out, Cannonball is superfluous now they've done the movie version of Negasonic with virtually the same power.

• Paid Members

I'm sure I read somewhere that Origins is basically being ignored in the x-universe for continuity purposes. It's the Highlander 2 of the series.

Is correct, Days of future past erased lots of stuff inc Origins well thats my understanding anyway

Erased meaning the timeline was changed due to the 70s being changed in Days, so that it effectively didn't happen/happened differently, yes. Ignored/non-canon, no. Days showed flashback scenes from Origins.

• Paid Members

That was fairly explicit.

(If we're still spoilering Days) ;

It also gives a great explanation as to why Deadpool in the altered present is Deadpool and never becomes Weapon XI, since Mystique acting as Striker but without Striker's memories might not know about Wade Wilson or choose to use him in that way.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I know it's in the same 'universe' etc, but I truly fail to see how they can possibly bring Deadpool into the X-Men franchise.

X-Men - with that creep Singer at the helm - takes itself very seriously and the only way I could see them crossing over would be for Vaughan or someone with a bit of bollocks about them who could make it funny and irreverant, without being slapstick.

Could you really imagine Singer handling Deadpool? It wouldn't work. He's just not that type of director.

His mate, McQuarrie shows a good sense of fun and humour in his flicks, so he could be a good option post Apocalypse - but he'd probably cast Cruise as Wolverine. Anyway, Singer doesn't have that blend in quality as a director.
Don't get me wrong, Usual Suspects was a hoot, but McQuarrie had a BIG say in that, and a lot of the humour was accidental or ad-ibbed by the cast and Singer left it because it felt 'natural'.

• Paid Members

So Batman v Superman is getting a R-rated release. Deadpool clearing up has to have helped that decision. Personally I don't care as long as it does them both justice but it surprises me that it would need to be that strong.

EDIT - Should have mentioned it's not theatrical but for the Ultimate edition Blu-ray.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

I think that's just the Director's Cut. I couldn't see them putting this out on general release with an R Rating!
But this is fucking tremendous news, Earhole! Tremendous news!

I wonder if they'll dual release it? One for the growed up and teens and one for the wee ones who just want to see Superman and Batman fight a Ninja Turtle.