Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
Why? Why reboot? They had a decent cast for the last two.

Never heard of Guardians Of The Galaxy, but any film that has Duane Benzie in is good with me.

They'd have to, at the very least, recast johnny storm and the first two films were so rubbish.

Wouldn't be too worried about it being based on ultimate universe. That probably just means, like all the current marvel crop, that they'll take some ideas from it.

I really like the ultimates, for the record

Guardians Of The Galaxy trailer reminds of Firefly/Serenity with a bigger budget. Seems like it will be fun anyway. Marvel doing that and Antman seems like a risk, but I guess they can take some flops if that's what happens, if they turn out to be big hits, then it will open the door, perhaps they could even do Planet Hulk.

I liked the Ultimate Marvel line when it first started, but after a good couple of months or maybe even a year it started to go down hill, and that reboot of it, is one of the worst things I've read.

At this stage, Marvel could release a video of Metal Mickey doing a poo, and it'd still generate 200 million worldwide at least. I like that they're using that to put some less well-known characters out there.

The Avengers was the best Ultimates so that's a strange one to cite

No, it's not. It was fucking shit. I know I'm not the only person who thinks that, either.

You're still in the minority. The first Vol of the Ultimates (at the time the equivalent of the Avengers) was awesome IMO and widely considered to be one of the best comics / graphic novels to come out around that time.

However I will agree that the Ultimate Universe has had it's dips in quality, more so than the "mainstream" universe, and a lot of the current stuff is dross. Currently reading "Cataclysm" which I have to say is very disappointing.

In regards to the Fantastic Four I don't see what's wrong with taking the Ultimate version of their origins, it's way better than the original one which is incredibly dated. Also the earlier Ultimate FF story arcs will translate better onto the big screen; Reed Richards is a genius child brought into a government sponsored think tank program, and works with them to break the barrier into the dimensional realm known as the "N Zone". This ultimately leads to them attempting to cross over only to end mutating themselves (and Victor Doom). Works for me... though I pray we don't get a goat legged Doctor Doom!!

Gotta say I really disappointed with the casting. Particularly Sue Storm... I'm too used to seeing her in more villainous roles (American Horror Story) and just can't see it right now.

• Paid Members

If you can cite the sources of where the Ultimates was widely considered to be great, I'll accept that, but this is one of those things where I just won't accept anything less. It really was that bad, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not in the mood to let anyone just get away with saying "Oh, the majority loves it". I'm going to question that right down to the last point. You don't have to cite specific examples, just general places where it was cited as being good. Mark Millar's just fucking irritating in that he just has to de-construct almost everything, and not even in an intelligent Alan Moore way.

Turning Hulk into a cannibal and a rapist isn't "blurring the lines" or "making the hero more human", it's making him an outright fucking villain, and it's shit.

Edited by Carbomb

If you can cite the sources of where the Ultimates was widely considered to be great, I'll accept that...

You're free to start by citing sources where key reviewers considered it to be shit first. I'll have a look myself later.

I'm not in the mood to let anyone just get away with saying "Oh, the majority loves it".

Kind of like how you said "I know I'm not the only person who thinks that, either" to justify your opinion?

Turning Hulk into a cannibal and a rapist isn't "blurring the lines" or "making the hero more human", it's making him an outright fucking villain, and it's shit.

He didn't rape anyone. But yes, I see where you're coming from... but personally I liked it. Sorry if you didn't.

• Paid Members
If you can cite the sources of where the Ultimates was widely considered to be great, I'll accept that...

You're free to start by citing sources where key reviewers considered it to be shit first. I'll have a look myself later.

I'm not in the mood to let anyone just get away with saying "Oh, the majority loves it".

Kind of like how you said "I know I'm not the only person who thinks that, either" to justify your opinion?

No, because I didn't claim to be in a majority straight off the bat. I said I hated it, and I know other people who've stated explicitly they've hated it, including people on here. You're the one who's saying I'm in a minority.

No, because I didn't claim to be in a majority straight off the bat. I said I hated it, and I know other people who've stated explicitly they've hated it, including people on here. You're the one who's saying I'm in a minority.

Yes I know you didn't claim to be the majority. My point was that you justified your opinion by saying others agree with you. Well so did I.

Anyway, as you requested, here are a few places where Ultimates was consider great:

Ranked number 3 by SciFi Now:

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/top-tens/26530/t...graphic-novels/

Listed number 35 on a public vote on ComicBookResources (Top Comic Book Runs 2012):

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2...ook-runs-35-31/

Number 16 by Forbidden Planet:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/picks/50-best-graphic-novels/

Also according to Wiki the run was nominated for various awards:

Mark Millar was nominated for the 2002 and 2004 Wizard Fan Award for "Favorite Writer" for his work on The Ultimates.

Bryan Hitch was nominated for the 2003 Harvey Award for "Best Artist"[2] and 2002 and 2003 Wizard Fan Award for "Favorite Artist." Bryan Hitch and Andrew Currie were nominated for the 2003 Eisner Award for "Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team."[3]

Letterer Chris Eliopoulos won the 2002 and 2003 Wizard Fan Award for "Favorite Letterer."

• Paid Members

Yes I know you didn't claim to be the majority. My point was that you justified your opinion by saying others agree with you. Well so did I.

Anyway, as you requested, here are a few places where Ultimates was consider great:

Ranked number 3 by SciFi Now:

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/top-tens/26530/t...graphic-novels/

Listed number 35 on a public vote on ComicBookResources (Top Comic Book Runs 2012):

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2...ook-runs-35-31/

Number 16 by Forbidden Planet:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/picks/50-best-graphic-novels/

Also according to Wiki the run was nominated for various awards:

Mark Millar was nominated for the 2002 and 2004 Wizard Fan Award for "Favorite Writer" for his work on The Ultimates.

Bryan Hitch was nominated for the 2003 Harvey Award for "Best Artist"[2] and 2002 and 2003 Wizard Fan Award for "Favorite Artist." Bryan Hitch and Andrew Currie were nominated for the 2003 Eisner Award for "Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team."[3]

Letterer Chris Eliopoulos won the 2002 and 2003 Wizard Fan Award for "Favorite Letterer."

Fair enough. All in order, and I'll back down on that particular point. I still say The Ultimates is fucking awful, though. The only stuff by Mark Millar I've ever consistently enjoyed has been his Superman stuff. I really liked The Authority, and then it just went down when he decided there wasn't enough rape in it.

As to the rest of the Ultimate universe, well - I'll reserve judgment on it until I read more, if I ever do. The Ultimates really didn't inspire me to do so.

• Paid Members
Guardians of the Galaxy looks fun. Do they really need to reboot Fantastic Four though? The Avengers and X-Men franchises are already huge, was anybody crying out for another superhero-team franchise?

It doesn't apply to every licence but with The fantastic Four if they don't make a film or use the film rights every x amount of years then they lose them. Considering these films are a cash cow for any studio that has them ( ironman, spidey and the Avengers are all billion dollar franchises) they will push them out regardless of if there is a demand for them or not. Despite being pretty crappy the last 2 FF films made $300,000,000 each! Also it's been nearly a decade since they relaunched the FF, that's literally a lifetime to their target audience, a whole new generation to push the characters on.