Government's Spending Challenge

Steveo2007

So the coalition government have now embarked on their ambitious plan of allowing regular members of the public to submit ideas of how to save money. Just wondered what everybody thought of the spending challenge in general and what would be your suggestions?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
So the coalition government have now embarked on their ambitious plan of allowing regular members of the public to submit ideas of how to save money. Just wondered what everybody thought of the spending challenge in general and what would be your suggestions?

Kick the underserving benefit spongers off of them.

There's a (wrong) mentality in Britain at the moment that some families can do better on benefits than going out and doing a hard day's work. That's wrong and needs to be addressed, as that money isn't free. It comes out of someone else's pocket, i.e. me or you reading this now.

• Paid Members

A cap on kids for unemployed people. I'd say 2 at most if you're not working. People are deliberately quitting work because they get paid more on benefits because they have about 4-8 kids, let's put a stop to that.

• Paid Members
A cap on kids for unemployed people. I'd say 2 at most if you're not working. People are deliberately quitting work because they get paid more on benefits because they have about 4-8 kids, let's put a stop to that.

This is a joke, yeah.

• Paid Members

4-8 is a fairly conservative estimate according to the articles I spy in the copies of Reveal and Closer left strewn around the work kitchen. You can double that.

Kick the underserving benefit spongers off of them.

There's a (wrong) mentality in Britain at the moment that some families can do better on benefits than going out and doing a hard day's work. That's wrong and needs to be addressed, as that money isn't free. It comes out of someone else's pocket, i.e. me or you reading this now.

Not a mentality mate, unfortunately the truth for a lot of people. I agree though that something must be done about it.

Stop allowing people coming into this country without the means to support themselves and stop legal aid for failed asylum seekers .. Dont put anything into the pot you shouldnt be allowed to take anything out of it

Pull troops out of afghanistan and bring our boys home .. this isnt our war and never was it was always about georg bush trying to finish the fight his father couldnt a decade earlier

That should save a few quid

• Paid Members

This is a joke, yeah.

Not at all. If you've got a stable income from working and can afford to look after the amount of kids you have then good on you, but why should people sponge out on people who have no job, no plan to get a job and are just sat at home just having kids and then reaping the rewards of benefits?. You can "love kids" all you like, but don't keep dropping them out because it'll earn you more benefits or you have no concern for the responsability they bring.

My suggestion is for the coalition government to not try and abdicate their responsibilities of office by trying to pass the buck on to the "general public" for ideas on spending cuts when I myself (at least) expect elected representatives to take that responsibility on themselves (which is irony coming from the Conservatives). Nothing wrong with consulting with people in the field of different areas to ultimately research and decide what to trim, in fact I'd encourage that as it makes good sense. But to be seen to put it into the hands of those who constantly write letters to newspapers, which is what the "general public" would end up being in this case, most of whom have no fucking clue as to the actual operation of public services (and if they do it's only in one or two areas of knowledge e.g. health, education, defence) is a recipe for disaster, as the website Clegg launched about which laws to abolish has shown with some of the absurd suggestions on it. The Canadians had a bit of sense about themselves back in the 1990's, something that the UK lacks across a broad spectrum.

If the government really want to try and get general ideas from the public as to what public services should be cut or slimmed down, the government themselves really need to go to the people on a random basis. But that takes time and effort, surprisingly. This PR stunt is nothing more than an angry Daily Mail readers' wet dream. If you want direct democracy Swiss style, implement that.

• Paid Members
Ditch the Home Access scheme.

Goverment gives people on benefits with young kids a laptop, a full years internet access, three years anti virus, a carry bag and as mouse as a "homework aid". Free! Absolutely free!

There's plenty of libraries, school facilities and mates houses they can go to to do homework. That's what I did when I didn't have a computer, and I didn't get a computer until I was almost 17.

Both of these quotes tell me that you don't live in the same world as some of the people on the bread line.

Basically, your ideas are a joke.

• Paid Members

There's plenty of libraries, school facilities and mates houses they can go to to do homework. That's what I did when I didn't have a computer, and I didn't get a computer until I was almost 17.

Both of these quotes tell me that you don't live in the same world as some of the people on the bread line.

Basically, your ideas are a joke.

Not really. Without getting too much into the second quote, I don't see what's so unreasonable? When I was in school they had dozens of computers for free use after and during school hours, with full internet and printing facilities. The local library also had a handful. There's no reason for people to just be given

Archived