Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
It's not an obviously funny line, but when I've seen this shoot I always laugh at his description of Tom Zenk's attitude.

I paraphrase: "we're getting the world handed to us on a plate, and this asshole's worried about his fucking jeans".

Yeah, I watched the Martel shoot a couple of weeks ago when someone else posted the link on here. As well as the line above, I chuckled at the bit when he was on about wrestling Stevie Ray in WCW after knee surgery, and deciding right there to retire. Stevie hit him with his finisher and in trying to protect his knee, Martel wound up hurting his neck. That's when he decided -

"Right there, that second I said FUCK...THIS". His delivery was great on the fuck this.

Around 2:45:00 if it doesn't take you straight there.

Martel seems like a really nice guy. I know the shoot is a good few years old now but he still looks great as well. I think he said he was about 50 at the time and he still looked the same as he did in the early 90s.

• Paid Members

I've been watching a few Kevin Steen shoot interviews over the last week. I've went completely mad on them. He's very interesting to listen to. Really funny and always has something to say. His stories about being trained by Jacques Rougeau are great. As soon as he said "and that's when I realised Jacques is a horrible human being", is when it started getting good. He's an old carny who wants to sign you to contracts where he takes 30% of your pay for the rest of your career and shit like that. He tells one where Jacques went to promote a upcoming show in Montreal and he mentioned he wanted to attract the kids market, so the fans started chanting "pedophile" at him. Just a lot of interesting stuff on Jacques thinking that his students would get 10 minutes in their WWE tryout and encouraging them to hit every move in their arsenal when they go to the ring. "Hid der 450 splash!!!" is what he told Steen to use as a finish in a WWE tryout. Just paints the picture that Jacques is off his turnip in regards to how the current climate is in wrestling. Rick Martel was at the WWE show where some of Rougeau's students were at, and Martel was desperate for Jacques to fuck off, so WWE told Rougeau to leave. Apparently he's well disliked by a load of people. Including PCO, who doesn't like his fellow Quebecer.

His stories on PCO paint him out to be a proper brilliant bloke. Wasn't aware that PCO and Steen had worked a lot in the mid-2000s. Which I'm going to have to dig out. He also talks about Sid Justice, who was at one of their shows in Canada. Sid is a headcase according to this. He sits in the locker room and looks at his opponent whispering to himself as he looks at you. Then he asks you what your weight is, and when the reply comes (say) "225 pounds", Sid replies at the top of his voice "225 POUNDS OF SHIT!!!" Just some awesome stories of running into ex-WWF workers on indy shows and stuff. He's got a great attitude on him. He likes wrestling, but he hasn't got the noose out if WWE or TNA doesn't phone him. Didn't know his son is autistic and gets sick a lot. He says that contributes to why he doesn't work out anymore. He didn't say that was the reason. Just that it was a factor in why he isn't into it as he used to be. Totally recommend it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Sid is a headcase according to this. He sits in the locker room and looks at his opponent whispering to himself as he looks at you. Then he asks you what your weight is, and when the reply comes (say) "225 pounds", Sid replies at the top of his voice "225 POUNDS OF SHIT!!!"

:laugh:

I just did a full on proper LOL at that. Can totally picture it.

I've been watching a few Kevin Steen shoot interviews over the last week. I've went completely mad on them. He's very interesting to listen to. Really funny and always has something to say. His stories about being trained by Jacques Rougeau are great. As soon as he said "and that's when I realised Jacques is a horrible human being", is when it started getting good. He's an old carny who wants to sign you to contracts where he takes 30% of your pay for the rest of your career and shit like that. He tells one where Jacques went to promote a upcoming show in Montreal and he mentioned he wanted to attract the kids market, so the fans started chanting "pedophile" at him. Just a lot of interesting stuff on Jacques thinking that his students would get 10 minutes in their WWE tryout and encouraging them to hit every move in their arsenal when they go to the ring. "Hid der 450 splash!!!" is what he told Steen to use as a finish in a WWE tryout. Just paints the picture that Jacques is off his turnip in regards to how the current climate is in wrestling. Rick Martel was at the WWE show where some of Rougeau's students were at, and Martel was desperate for Jacques to fuck off, so WWE told Rougeau to leave. Apparently he's well disliked by a load of people. Including PCO, who doesn't like his fellow Quebecer.

His stories on PCO paint him out to be a proper brilliant bloke. Wasn't aware that PCO and Steen had worked a lot in the mid-2000s. Which I'm going to have to dig out. He also talks about Sid Justice, who was at one of their shows in Canada. Sid is a headcase according to this. He sits in the locker room and looks at his opponent whispering to himself as he looks at you. Then he asks you what your weight is, and when the reply comes (say) "225 pounds", Sid replies at the top of his voice "225 POUNDS OF SHIT!!!" Just some awesome stories of running into ex-WWF workers on indy shows and stuff. He's got a great attitude on him. He likes wrestling, but he hasn't got the noose out if WWE or TNA doesn't phone him. Didn't know his son is autistic and gets sick a lot. He says that contributes to why he doesn't work out anymore. He didn't say that was the reason. Just that it was a factor in why he isn't into it as he used to be. Totally recommend it.

I watched the Talk Steen Talk one and the joint one with Davey myself a few weeks back. I can never get my head around his excuses for his condition though to be honest, i just can't get grasp why you would choose a profession, doing something you love, then settle for a 2nd rate career. With other guys you can understand, Wrestlers who are obviously shite and so do not give a toss about the cosmetics of it all, but with Steen it beggars belief that having chosen to be a Pro Wrestler you wouldn't bust you bollocks and try to get as high up the ladder as possible, a Gym memebership don't cost a lot, hell you don't even need that, buy a treadmill and some weights and do your shit at home.

He has everything going for him in my opinion to get to the next level, and make some real big money for his family (which is obviously very dear to him), but chooses not to, i say chooses because i have never heard him give one proper reason why he does not put the work in, it's just a "i can't be bothered, if WWE or TNA call then so be it, if not then fine".

When you watch his matches from like 04/05 both in ROH and PWG it is sad to see him as he is now for me, i did not like his title reign at all, virtually every match was a street fight style brawl, i wanna see Kevin Steen as Mr Wrestling, cos when he wants to he can be amazing, he can combine power moves while at the same time do shit that cruiserweights do.

Edited by nobby

• Moderators
I watched the Talk Steen Talk one and the joint one with Davey myself a few weeks back. I can never get my head around his excuses for his condition though to be honest, i just can't get grasp why you would choose a profession, doing something you love, then settle for a 2nd rate career. With other guys you can understand, Wrestlers who are obviously shite and so do not give a toss about the cosmetics of it all, but with Steen it beggars belief that having chosen to be a Pro Wrestler you wouldn't bust you bollocks and try to get as high up the ladder as possible, a Gym memebership don't cost a lot, hell you don't even need that, buy a treadmill and some weights and do your shit at home.

I reckon it's pretty commendable that he's chosen his son over chasing the WWE dollar and being away loads, to be honest. Very mature and sound of him.

Have a look on stagevu.com

Last time I looked they had a shitload of wrestling on there. Just play around with the search button and see if it's on there [What your looking for].

Thanks for that site, never heard of it before, but its got some Youshoots that I havent seen yet. JDownloader can download the avi version of the files, too, which is a bonus.

Watched KC's Top Five Managers 'shoot', which was crap. 45 minutes of people like Sandman and Bill fucking Apter saying "They were good, they got lots of heat for their wrestlers" in as many different ways as possible. Ive watched three of these sort of shoots now, and theyve all been crap. The talking heads format doesnt work, especially when 75% of the people talking usually have no clue what theyre talking about. Funniest part of this shoot was Vince Russo praising Cornette, and the "WTF?" reactions that most of them had to James Mitchell making the list.

Also watched the Sheik/New Jack/HTM shoot, which was OK. The constant shouting and promo cutting got a bit tiresome toward the end, mind. I have a bunch of those Worlds Collide shoots downloaded, which ones are worth checking out? Im about to start the Raven/HTM one, is it worth watching?

I reckon it's pretty commendable that he's chosen his son over chasing the WWE dollar and being away loads, to be honest. Very mature and sound of him.

But like he says in interviews, that is not the reason for the state of him is it. He has a major opportunity to set his family up for life, would that not benefit him and his son more in the future if he busted his balls for a few years and got rewarded for it.

As i say to me it is pointless doing something, if you aint going to do something to your full ability/capability.

On a seperate note from Steen, i watched a fair few Shoots this weekend, finally got round to the Dynamite Documentary/Shoot, fucking Rougeau trying to get Dino Bravo and the Mafia involved when he slugged Dynamite :laugh:

How he told the story was like somat out of Goodfellas for fuck sake.

I watched one of those On The Road style things with Raven, now that was some depressing shit.

Highlight of the lot was Barber Beefcake's timeline of 89, he is a bit nuts the fella but was interesting stuff.

• Moderators

Depends what's more important to him. Financial security in the future, or spending time with a son who's sick a lot and is going through his formative years. I respect his choice, quite the manly thing to do. He's probably doing alright from his indie shots anyway. He's a family man, and I respect him more for that and staying true to that.

He says that contributes to why he doesn't work out anymore. He didn't say that was the reason. Just that it was a factor in why he isn't into it as he used to be

• Paid Members

I'm sure Steen's got a pretty realistic outlook too. He seems smart enough to realise that an offer from WWE would be a fucking long shot even if he busted his ass and hit the gas. I know that they do make exceptions, but he's not the type they look for. He's managed to work his way up to a pretty comfortable spot in RoH and he's one of the top Indy names out there. I'm sure he makes a fairly decent living and it's all on his own terms.

I don't want to defend his poor physique, because I do think he looks awful, but if it's a case of choosing family over chasing a pipe dream, then I can't blame the guy for that.

Have a look on stagevu.com

Last time I looked they had a shitload of wrestling on there. Just play around with the search button and see if it's on there [What your looking for].

Thanks for that site, never heard of it before, but its got some Youshoots that I havent seen yet. JDownloader can download the avi version of the files, too, which is a bonus.

Watched KC's Top Five Managers 'shoot', which was crap. 45 minutes of people like Sandman and Bill fucking Apter saying "They were good, they got lots of heat for their wrestlers" in as many different ways as possible. Ive watched three of these sort of shoots now, and theyve all been crap. The talking heads format doesnt work, especially when 75% of the people talking usually have no clue what theyre talking about. Funniest part of this shoot was Vince Russo praising Cornette, and the "WTF?" reactions that most of them had to James Mitchell making the list.

Also watched the Sheik/New Jack/HTM shoot, which was OK. The constant shouting and promo cutting got a bit tiresome toward the end, mind. I have a bunch of those Worlds Collide shoots downloaded, which ones are worth checking out? Im about to start the Raven/HTM one, is it worth watching?

No problem man. If you don't mind taking a few minutes to search there is some absolute gold on that site. I had a quick search then coming across Dudley Boyz shoot, Hart Foundation Shoot, Face Off (s), Nash Shoot, Gene Okerlund and and loads more. A few months ago I watched a few WCW events on there and a load of weekly shows from 2002. Fairly decent quality and the site doesn't buffer that much for me.

I watched Face Off 3 recently (Sheik, New Jack and Honky Tonk Man) and it wasn't too great was it? I enjoy listening to Sheik and Honky Tonk Man but New Jack can fuck off. He just chats shit and the whole tough man act just doesn't float my boat. If I remember rightly New Jack gets a massive Knife out during the shoot doesn't he? Just why on earth. The accounts of Shiek and Honky Tonk Man seem like good accounts to learn from. However, I did find it funny seeing the shoot end half way through because they were too loud in the hotel.