THREAD FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UKFF FORUM ONLY!

neil

Dare I say off-topic might be a more suitable home for MMA threads? Seeing as, y'know, it's not wrestling...

Agreed, just had a quick glance at the forum while I'm quiet at work and it's fucking full of MMA shite, apologies for swearing for no apparent reason but I've had an extremely annoying customer in this morning

Anyway, for what it's worth (not much admittedly), I say move it to Off-Topic

• Paid Members

No, don't move them to off topic, it will bump away all the good threads. Move them to UK Events.

I think with the amount of MMA posting now, that a sub-forum is needed. Not just so people can avoid that stuff if they don't like it, but so that people who only really post in the MMA threads can find them more easily.

• Paid Members

I think if you start chucking more and more threads in a sub-forum then you just end up with people wanting a music one and a film one and a wanking one and so on. I just reckon we need an MMA one, perhaps even with a new MMA following mod.

Like David.

None of the mods have the power to create a new forum is my guess, leaving it to the whim of the absentee landlord that is Moo.

With the exception of when Duane started a thread for BAMMA (which was nothing more than excuse for him to promote his site and some interviews he'd done), I think MMA in on topic is handled fine and has been the was it is for several years now. I find it amusing that the people complaining the most about the MMA in on topic, joined the board after the rules about MMA posting had been established. If there was no interest in the threads then they would quickly drop, and the board could be left with such wonderful threads as 'your first wrestling video' and 'your first figure'.

Admittedly, I did think about this thread when I saw that David started two threads today; one a duplicate and the other for an event that doesn't take place for four months.

• Paid Members
With the exception of when Duane started a thread for BAMMA (which was nothing more than excuse for him to promote his site and some interviews he'd done), I think MMA in on topic is handled fine and has been the was it is for several years now. I find it amusing that the people complaining the most about the MMA in on topic, joined the board after the rules about MMA posting had been established. If there was no interest in the threads then they would quickly drop, and the board could be left with such wonderful threads as 'your first wrestling video' and 'your first figure'.

Admittedly, I did think about this thread when I saw that David started two threads today; one a duplicate and the other for an event that doesn't take place for four months.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about MMA threads at all. They clearly have a place on the forum and they are an integral part of it these days. I just personally think it's quite obvious that it would be convenient to have a separate forum for MMA, for those who want to use those threads and those that don't.

I'm not in favour of segregating other types of content into other forums, though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about MMA threads at all. They clearly have a place on the forum and they are an integral part of it these days. I just personally think it's quite obvious that it would be convenient to have a separate forum for MMA, for those who want to use those threads and those that don't.

I'm not in favour of segregating other types of content into other forums, though.

Just to clarify, I was refering to Clyro and Venkman.

If people think it's bad now, them they should be grateful that they weren't around when Mo was a regular. Whereas today, there is one lone thread for all UFC event discussion, Mo had three per event (one for pre show discussion, one for live/as it happens, one for post) and he did the same for Cage Rage (this was until the rules were fully set up).

I think it's primarily due to it being a busy period in the UFC that there are all the relevant threads. UFC 146 will drop shortly, the TUF ones will drop soon and the Strike Force thread will eventually head the same way the WEC one did.

• Moderators

I'm sure Mo was doing it on purpose though - he figured being purposely a dick about it and flooding the forum with threads would be a good way to fabricate/demonstrate the necessity for a separate sub-forum.

forcing people to have an opinion one way or another on an issue is a sound political tactic and all, but doesn't work that well when you're so obnoxious it's impossible to gain support for your side of the argument.

It's not going to change. The system has worked well for the last 4 years.

It's worked well for four years? Don't you think that the landscape has changed in the past four years? Christ, even ~DA MELTZ~ has started slowly drafting in more and more MMA to his resume!

A sub-forum is the answer, as I'm fairly certain that there's more than a few posters who came here as wrestling fans and who are now primarily MMA fans who spend most of their time discussing MMA.

Before the old "well, fuck off to an MMA forum" line is trotted out, it would be nice to be able to maintain discussion with the group of fans on here who have been the main core of the MMA discussions over the years.

As for the prediction of threads appearing all over the place that we won't need, you simply appoint a mod or two to keep an eye on things? You're not exactly stuck for decent posters to choose from, are you? There's Ebb, jimufctna24 & Wandshogun for starters. Any of those would do a good job.

Why not trial it for a few months and see how it goes? You know it makes sense.

The first thread was a mistake, which I quickly rectified. I'm still trying to get up to speed since I was banned for a few months. As for my second thread, I stand by that one. How often does the UFC visit the UK every year? A thread to firstly let everyone know it's happening, then to discuss ticket sales, accomodation, travel advice etc, not to mention the rumours and so forth was well worth it I feel. Also, it would have been converted to the actual event thread closer to the time.

It has gotten a good few responses before it was closed down.

Edited by David

• Moderators

The whole scenario of that second thread is as good as a case study for needing a separate subforum that I can think of.

It's a useful thread, and there's certainly value in it existing as a separate thread. However, it does lead to there being more threads for MMA on the main forum at once, tipping the balance. By getting rid if it, is the MMA content being stifled?

Your point about extra mods is where your argument is let down though. An extra forum would mean more modding, and the powers that be on here have been pretty selective with appointing mods and have always made decent decisions and it seems to be a good formula to select proven posters from the forum old guard. Not sure if I'd want them to fuck with that.

(and before you point to my title; it's completely for show and I have no actual modding powers at all)

Ultimately, I have no skin in the game really but I can see the argument for the question being opened up again, but your proposed solution is not without problems David.

I wonder, really though, what the demand is? Is it the case of a few pretty active MMa posters? Are there a lot of other regular MMA posters? Are there a lot of casual MMA posters? Are there a lot of lurkers who don't really post but are reading the MMA stuff?

What's the barometer for this? You could look at the Awards threads. There's been separate MMA awards for a couple years now, and there's been a fairly strong showing for MMA posters in On Topic poster awards. But even still, pick something like Best Wrestling Match compared to Best MMA Fight.. you're looking at something like a third of the interest as far as the number of votes go.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I see what you're saying about the modding situation, but wouldn't it be possible to take someone like Ebb for example, and limit his powers to just one forum? I'm not entirely sure, but is just giving him the ability to merge, close and edit threads possible? Maybe not I guess.

Yeah, we need a seperate forum for MMA, that much goes without saying, especially considering the fact that MMA is only going to get more popular, especially among wrestling fans, as time passes.

• Paid Members
Yeah, we need a seperate forum for MMA, that much goes without saying, especially considering the fact that MMA is only going to get more popular, especially among wrestling fans, as time passes.

It doesn't actually go without saying, though.

I'd like to propose a separate subforum for women's wrestling, moderated by the acknowledged UKFF expert on women's wrestling, i.e me.