Jon Venables back in prison

Mr. Seven

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if it's nature then you're saying that basically every human is like Jon Venables deep down?

...and before anyone pipes in 'why haven't we all killed someone then?', I'd point out that we're not all the same height and colour either - all people have the potential for violence, but some in a more extreme capacity than others.

Ta.

• Moderators

Well that contradicts what you said:

I certainly would say that humans are a naturally brutal and violent race

So we're "naturally brutal and violent", but only in the same way that some of us are blonde. Ok.

Well that contradicts what you said:

I certainly would say that humans are a naturally brutal and violent race

So we're "naturally brutal and violent", but only in the same way that some of us are blonde. Ok.

Good thing I didn't state HOW violent then eh? I'd say it was fairly obvious my implication was that violence is an inherently human trait which like all characteristics is subject to variations on a common theme, but, carry on basing your arguements on semantics and tightly clutched straws if you wish - the only thing you're successfully making me question is how you ever got to be a moderator.

It's a bit of a cop out to say "all humans are inherently violent but on a sliding scale" and then hold that up as a case against nurture.

And I suppose at this point someone should point out that whereas "blonde" is a quantifiable physical characteristic (and therefore not subject to nurture at all) ,violence is an emotion or psychological state and neither quantifiable nor easily traced in the genetic code. So drawing a comparison between the two is invalid.

bru-tal

adj.

1. Extremely ruthless or cruel.

Yes, there are shades of brutal. So you did say exactly HOW violent people are. I can see why you never made it to moderator :smug:

Cheers for validing my point on semantics :smug:

It's a bit of a cop out to say "all humans are inherently violent but on a sliding scale" and then hold that up as a case against nurture.

And I suppose at this point someone should point out that whereas "blonde" is a quantifiable physical characteristic (and therefore not subject to nurture at all) ,violence is an emotion or psychological state and neither quantifiable nor easily traced in the genetic code. So drawing a comparison between the two is invalid.

By that reckoning, a sheep could potentially have a violent streak far in excess of a tasmanian devil...:rolleyes:

• Moderators

Your semantics are wrong, which is what your entire argument is based upon.

The sky is purple. Purple is a shade of blue. Pfff, semantics.

Your semantics are wrong, which is what your entire argument is based upon.

The sky is purple. Purple is a shade of blue. Pfff, semantics.

Purple is a colour with a distinct identity which differentiates it from blue moreso than its name - words such as brutal, violent, vicious, furious etc all are of similar identities and therefore structuring an argument based entirely upon which one I chose to type as a small part of a far greater point is rather feeble - yet befitting of you.

Its a shame it appears that Kenny was just popping by, having contributed so vigorously to a recent thread on homosexuality where the popular concensus was that a person cannot choose their orientation...I'd be curious to ask him who was championing that viewpoint so fervently...?

Edited by Casey V

bru-tal

adj.

1. Extremely ruthless or cruel.

Yes, there are shades of brutal. So you did say exactly HOW violent people are. I can see why you never made it to moderator :smug:

By that reckoning, a sheep could potentially have a violent streak far in excess of a tasmanian devil...:rolleyes:

Only if you've completely misunderstood both my post and indeed the whole argument. Which clearly you have.

:rolleyes: