The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

first time i ever saw/heard of Manowar was on Headbangers' Ball about 15 years ago. I remember Vanessa Warwick saying 'tonight marks the return on the ultimate heavy metal band' or some shit, and they teased like a new video and interview through the whole show. I was excited, but when they finally introduced Manowar i literally thought 'what a bunch of benders'. That was my first impression haha, ive never got them, it aint my thing.

One of my mates went to Hellfest a few years back when Manowar were headlining, he said it was fucking crazy how hyped lots of the people were to see them. Loads of people dressed up in furs and they had their own merch stands all over the place. I've never been a fan and a bit like Black metal the image doesn't help with it.

And they are the peeps that bug me. Its like when I saw Dragonforce a few years back and people would bring plastic swords and shit because they were watching 'battle metal', which in itself drove me up the wall.

Not sure what genre it is? Just make up a term and see if it sticks (just like when Klaxons invented 'new rave')

I think i wrote about it in this thread. But i went to Metal Camp a couple of years ago, and at the same area the day after was like a Manowar festival. So they had a Manowar tent on the campsite. As it was really hot and the tent meant shade, me and a friend went in there to drink. And i have to say the Manowar fans were all so nice. They varied from kids to really old people. They're all 'geeks' and massive, dedicated Manowar fans. The tent had lots of things going on including i think Lord of the Rings and other similar things, quizzes.

I'm not a fan at all and the image just makes me laugh. But i now have at least a soft spot for their fans!

I think I remember you mentioning that before. If im not mistaken, that would been Magic Circle Festival.

In non-Manowar related news, Classic Rock are putting a fanpack of the new Rush - Clockwork Angels album on June 11th.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet either, but the new Gojira album will be released on June 25th via Roadrunner

I think I remember you mentioning that before. If im not mistaken, that would been Magic Circle Festival.

In non-Manowar related news, Classic Rock are putting a fanpack of the new Rush - Clockwork Angels album on June 11th.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet either, but the new Gojira album will be released on June 25th via Roadrunner

I read a track by track review of the Gojira album. It unsurprisingly said it was great. Compared a couple of tracks to Mastodon.

• Paid Members
Looks like that original line-up Guns 'N Roses reunion isn't going to happen at the Rock and Roll HOF then. Axl Rose has declined the induction.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect them to play together but I hoped for some

As soon as the Hall Of Fame announced it would only be the original 5 members plus Dizzy Reed & Matt Sorum being inducted there was no way it would happen. It was an obvious ploy by the HOF to engineer a reunion to raise their own profile.

I mean if having only played on one album means Rob Trujillo deserves to go in with Metallica then the current members of GNR definitely deserve to go in too.

I mean if having only played on one album means Rob Trujillo deserves to go in with Metallica then the current members of GNR definitely deserve to go in too.

Rob's been in Metallica for nearly a decade like, so its not as if he is 'new' anymore. He'd been in the band 6 years or so when they were inducted in to the HOF in 2009

Those coming up to 6 years for GNR include Bumblefoot and Frank Ferrer. I think only Ashba has only joined the band in the last 3 or so yeard, the rest have been with the band a long time relatively, even though there is only Chinese Democracy that has been released. So again its not like they are new either.

Basically, I agree.

As for Metal, the band I think of most when defining the genre is probably Iron Maiden, but then Im older.

Saw an interview with a guy from Kerrang in an issue of the Metro this week, and he was talking about why Sonisphere bit the big'un this year. He said, basically, that 2011 was a big line up for them but they essentially wasted 3 years worth of headliners in one weekend, and that's not easy to recover from as rock/metal bands just don't get that big anymore.

Do we agree?

Looking at this years festivals there are a lot of nostalgia acts filling the top spots, or bands like Foo's who aren't a new band or Kasabian who are neither rock nor metal and appeal to a different customer entirely.

I genuinely can't think of a 'new' band who's got bloody massive. My Chemical Romance are pretty big but struggle to fill big venues, Biffy Clyro run around pretending to be stadium rockers but just aren't. The last one I can think of is Nickelback, who have that American arena-rock thing down but their successors aren't getting anywhere near their level...