The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

I saw that Mayhem had been announced for it, but I didn't know much else about it as it's a completly different part of the country for me.

Damnation are going to be making their first announcements by the end of the month

It's the Saturday that does it for me- ANb, Melvins and Bongripper should be amazing. Windhand on the Thursday is tempting too. Just not sure if I fancy travelling all the way down to Bristol for it. Think I'll wait and see what Damnation announce before making a decision.

• Paid Members

I went to Motion for a weekend festival last year (Ghostfest), really good lil setup in that place. Its ideal for that kind of festival. There's an Ibis on the same road too if you're staying for the weekend.

Down have issued a letter on their website saying they will not be playing any European festivals in 2016, meaning their appearances at Download and Hellfest are off (FortaRock in Holland had already cancelled Down's appearance). This is a continuation of the 'white power' incident, which I'm sure will blow over eventually but right now is costing them a lot of pay days.

I'll be honest, I can't imagine I'll ever go out of my way to see Phil Anselmo again. There's just no room for that shit, but having said that I'm sure there are still plenty of people who will still go see him and his bands

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Well Hammerfest was a ton of fun as normal. Great sets from Turisas, Quireboys, and Exodus. Cradle of Filth played a blinder yet the room was pretty much empty compared to Turisas earlier that day. But i ended up with a setlist which Dani signed for me. Surprise of the weekend was Trollfest who were epic. Detoured on the way home to catch the Tidal show in Leeds with Ricochet, Chuck Taylor, and Chris Dickinson. So a good weekend all in all.

• Paid Members

I was there. Probably bumped into you at some point, i got too pissed Thursday which kind of put me on the defensive all weekend but its always a good weekend, in a great setting too.

Think we saw pretty much the same bands. Weird seeing Cradle of Filth play to a really sparse crowd, guess its down to them being one of those polarising band that people wont give time too (including some of my mates), Hammerfest doesn't necessarily draw big fan bases of bands either, the bands just seem like an added attraction to the pissup.

Down have issued a letter on their website saying they will not be playing any European festivals in 2016, meaning their appearances at Download and Hellfest are off (FortaRock in Holland had already cancelled Down's appearance). This is a continuation of the 'white power' incident, which I'm sure will blow over eventually but right now is costing them a lot of pay days.

I'll be honest, I can't imagine I'll ever go out of my way to see Phil Anselmo again. There's just no room for that shit, but having said that I'm sure there are still plenty of people who will still go see him and his bands

To be honest, I'll probably still go see them, and will probably still buy their stuff. I haven't stopped wearing their t-shirts or anything.

And that's fair enough David, that's your choice. I'm sure the whole thing will blow over eventually, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable with feeding his bank account after he's done something like that. It was a daft thing to do in the first place, but to then try and bullshit your way out of it just dug him deeper

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the guy certainly went way down in my estimation (even though there's been rumours of his racist nature for a while now), but I enjoy Down's music as a whole, not just Phil Anselmo.

So, in essence, I still love Down, but fuck you Phil Anselmo.

• Paid Members

Just heard that Swedish industrial band Misery Loves Co. are back together and are playing Bloodstock! Was always a fan back in the day, saw em support Fear Factory on the Obsolete tour. They put out a few quality records too! Everyone's reforming!